• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Star Wars - Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Zamros said:
jrWHAG42 said:
I'm sure we can all just agree that hearing Qui-Gon's voice again was awesome.

Aye, but I'm just as annoyed at their inclusion of Asoka. SHE LEFT THE JEDI ORDER BEHIND DAMMIT, SHE AIN'T ONE OF Y'ALL

Maybe she joined Luke's new jedi order before it was destroyed (it just hasn't happened yet).

Well that was a chaotic ride...

My first thoughts:
  • First 30 min felt like the editor was on LSD, so many quick cuts and jumping around between different locations.  :sick:
  • I expected J.J. to try and "course correct" on some of Johnson's choices in Episode VIII but wtf... the time and energy he put into backpedaling on those TLJ plot points... It almost seemed like he saw Rian's middle finger to TFA and raised him a double middle finger: 
    • Rey's parents are somebodies after all
    • Luke catching the light saber after Rey throws it away
    • The blink-and-you-miss-it remark that the "Holdo maneuver" is a one in a million shot to explain why they won't use it in the finale
    • "Explaining" Snoke's existence
    • Putting Kylo's helmet back together
    • etc.
  • So Rey is perfect and can do everything because she's a Palpatine...okay... Didn't know that Palpatine was a professional sailor in his free time though. The way she steered that boat through the storm like a pro  :)
  • The Leia scenes were so forced and added nothing of weight or importance to the story. Kylo could've heard her voice even if she was dead already so her sacrifice did not make any sense at all
  • Palpatine reciting his speech to Anakin was cool but still a weak explanation for his resurrection
  • Finn is changing love interests every couple of scenes it seems. Did he really want to tell Rey that he loved her? I thought he loves Rose now? Or is it Jannah? Or Poe? I'm confused...
  • Lando's cameo was wasted and that was a weird exchange between him and Jannah at the end. He almost came off as the pervy grandpa who thinks he still got some game with the ladies. I know what they were going for but it was clumsily executed imo
  • There were no stakes at all and the scenes that could've made an emotional impact like Chewie dying by Rey's hand or C3PO's memory being reset were reversed a couple of scenes later
  • I was almost laughing at the scene where Kylo healed Rey (after she had previously healed him) and died, imagining her to heal him and die in return and him waking up to heal her and die and...*imagine funny gif here*
  • The "paperchase" plot was so contrived and too much for me at some point:
    • They crash at a random point in the desert. 
    • At exactly that point the ground is unstable and they sink in
    • At exactly that point they find a dagger in an underground cave
    • The dagger leads them to the fallen death star were they randomly arrive at the exact point where they can use the dagger to pin point the location the need  to go to next etc.
  • To end on some good points:
     + Han's cameo brought his character the closure he deserved
     + Luke scenes (Hamill is the best)
     + Adam Driver's performance
     + All Hail Babu Frik
     + The training sequence of young Luke and Leia put a smile on my face, even though there was some uncanny valley going on there
  •  + The ending scene with Rey, Luke and Leia
Episode IX was better than the previous one for me but unfortunately that doesn't say much. I often judge movies by imagining if I can see myself watching (and enjoying) them again and I have to say the answer for TRoS (in its current form) is "No"...  :-/

Canon Editor said:
I can see a fan edit coming any day after the DVD release.

:D

TMBTM said:
And even if it was true it does not show on screen anyway.
The prequels are not really "clashing" between each others, you're right about that (they are clashing in some ways with the original Trilogy though). I'm saying that it was super messy and not clean at all as a three parts story.

Now there I agree with you.

Spoiler-filled review forthcoming. Spoiler-free review for now:

Surprisingly, both sides of the argument are right about "Rise of Skywalker."

Yes, there are some logic holes and things that aren't explained well. Yes, there are too many characters to all get serviced properly. Yes, even at 2 1/2 hours, the film needed to be a bit longer to address those gaps. Yes, too much time is spent retconning unpopular elements from other films, to the understandable frustration of the fans of those elements.

But it's also ridiculously exciting and funny and emotionally resonant, and ends the saga on an extremely high note. The experience was well worth the price of admission, and I don't regret the time I invested in the sequels. My inner child laughed and cried, and I left the the theater as a giddy 8-year-old swinging around lightsabers in my imagination.

TomH1138 said:
Yes, even at 2 1/2 hours, the film needed to be a bit longer to address those gaps.

I keep hearing this but honestly instead of making it three hours, why not trim some of the totally extraneous and ridiculous side quests like the dagger. And lose Zorii and Jannah and crew. That could at least make it less frantic if not provide more character development.

Fair enough, Moe. There's more than one way to handle any problem in filmmaking, and I was firmly against the idea of a 4-hour cut that some fans really wanted. Still, knowing that early reports said that the movie clocked in at 2 hours and 35 minutes, making it slightly longer than Last Jedi, and then reading later that the movie was only about 2 hours and 22 minutes, making it about as long as Attack of the Clones, it surprised me that Abrams and co. didn't use even a little extra time to explain some things a little bit better.

I mean, Avengers: Endgame was 3 hours long, and it still became the current highest-grossing film of all time (not adjusted for inflation, but still nothing to sneeze at). I don't think it would have hurt the movie's success if the filmmakers had let the film breathe a bit more at the beginning.

Thoughts after one viewing (seeing it again with family, Xmas Day):

There's a scene in the 1962 film 'Carry on Cruising' where the ship's cook bakes a cake for the Captain for his retirement. He decides to put in ingredients signifying all the places the Captain has been to over the years, including spaghetti, peppers and a host of bizarre things. The cake looks great, but it's completely inappropriate and unsatisfying. I've been thinking about that scene since I saw 'Rise of Skywalker' on Friday.

I've read that people felt that it wasn't Star Wars-y enough; conversely, I thought it was the most Star Wars-y of all the films. Whatever era or media, if it connects to the universe, JJ threw it in there. I love the EU/Legends novels, and this felt like a long-lost EU book in which, instead of adapting it for the screen, JJ filmed Every Single Page. It may have worked as a book; it didn't work as a film.

Saying that, I really enjoyed it, but it's best not to think about it too hard else that bubble will pop. JJ is such a master of the sleight of hand that I let the more eye-rolling plot contrivances flow over me at the time. But in hindsight, the film comes off as a mess. A fun mess, yes, but a mess nonetheless.

Each of the new trilogy have disappointed me in some way, and I've finally come to the realisation that these films were not for me. Many began their fandom with the prequel trilogy, and many will have done so with this sequel trilogy. I'm from the 70s era, and they're still good enough for me, flaws and all.

I think the hope was that they could catch lightning in a bottle twice and make up a trilogy as they went along - it worked the first time round, more or less, right? It was not to be this time, though. In fact, I'm beginning to think that it might have been better to exclude the original characters altogether. If you take out the Kylo parentage angle, they would be no reason to have Luke, Leia or Han involved at all. I can't think of anything that any of them brought to the story that couldn't have been achieved by generic characters, unfortunately. As much as I was looking forward to revisiting with them again, they didn't really show up.

Still, I will take my family to watch it with me again in a couple of days, and probably we'll all have a fun time. To couch it in terms of my other obsession at the moment, 'The Rise of Skywalker' is the 'Godzilla: Final Wars' of the Star Wars saga. Hold on, cos it's a crazy ride.

A 70 minute youtube review?  Woof.

Neglify said:
TVs Frink said:

Meow.

giphy.gif

Looking back over The Last Jedi, I just realized something. What if Palpatine being the big bad to come back in Episode 9...it was Vader?

The movie still opens the same, Kylo Ren (with his mask already rebuilt, I do like how he only takes it off when he's in front of Rey) finds the Sith Wayfinder, makes his way to the Sith Homeworld. He finds the vats of Snoke clones, but also finds a vat of...something else. Around the midpoint (or possibly earlier), instead of Kylo Ren firing at Rey on the Burning Man Planet, it's Vader, in a perfect replica of his suit.

So, why Vader instead of Palpatine? For starters, as much of a Palpatine mark I am, it reduces the impossible, credibility stretching "I am the author of your pain" narrative of Palpatine, giving him too much power and presence in the franchise, which kinda makes the OT all for nothing.

Secondly, it fits Kylo Ren's character. For all his talk of "let the past die," he very much lets his past define him. He hesitated to kill his dad, he refused to kill his mom, and chose to fight Luke personally to get some form of closure. Plus, who's the person that Kylo has been hero worshiping/modeling himself after the whole Sequel Trilogy? Vader. Vader deserves to come back for Episode IX more than Palpatine. You can make Rise of Skywalker a dark inverse of The Last Jedi, where our impressionable youth is able to get their hero of old to fight on their behalf from the beginning.

However, since Kylo is too impatient to do the process properly, he opts to make a Vader clone that fits his vision of what he thinks Vader was like: cold, ruthless, powerful, but obedient, the real edgelord, badass Vader that people loved from the last five minutes of Rogue One. Maybe even add a third act twist where Clone Vader doesn't need the armor, and he's been using the cloning tanks behind Kylo's back to get back his human parts and become even stronger than The Emperor ever was.

However, as a result, this clone has no redeeming qualities, namely, his (no matter how twisted) desire for a family. Clone Vader doesn't give a damn about Kylo's blood tie to him, no does he care about Kylo's loyalty to the Knights of Ren. You know, actually CHARACTERIZE the Knights and create more opportunities to humanize Kylo. Clone Vader is all of Vader's worst personality trait cranked up to 11 because Kylo didn't bother to know EVERYTHING about his grandfather.

I'd even go so far as for as for Kylo to figure out the truth about Vader/the Skywalker lineage, being that they were a Sith creation by Palpatine, because I actually do like the idea of Palpatine playing SOME part in Episode IX, as well as the Skywalker bloodline going extinct, truly put an end to the Skywalker story.

As for needing a MacGuffin to chase, hey, maybe the Resistance intercepts an Imperial transmission about continuing the project of capturing Force sensitive children and conscripting them as Stormtroopers/ Knights of Ren (hey look at that, another intersting subplot/expansion on Force Awakens that went nowhere) and Rey, Finn, Poe, and Rose have to find them before Kylo and Clone Vader do. The film's external conflict isn't about saving the galaxy, but protecting the futures of children/young adults that could be/have been destroyed by the First Order.

I still like the RLM guys because they are funny and still have interesting things to say, but calling people dumb because they liked a movie = me unsubcribing their channel. Sorry Mike...

TMBTM said:
I still like the RLM guys because they are funny and still have interesting things to say, but calling people dumb because they liked a movie = me unsubcribing their channel. Sorry Mike...

Always warms my heart when people catch onto RLM toxicity I’ve noticed since the TPM review.

Nic said:
TMBTM said:

Always warms my heart when people catch onto RLM toxicity I’ve noticed since the TPM review.

I don't mind hearing people having a little laught to the detriment of someone else (including myself) from time to time but the jokes need to be funny, short and smart or else it just sounds mean. And I feel they are loosing that aspect. I never felt, watching their TPM review, that they were really mean against Lucas or people liking the prequels. They brought some valid points using a refreshing (at the time) way of editing their "mockumentary".
But the more I'm listening to their new reviews (and not just Star Wars) the more I feel they start attacking people instead of the movies. They have all the right in the world to not like recent movies but when they spend a 10 minutes sketch bashing Rian Johnson that doesn't make me laugh. When they make fun of his laugh using behind the scenes videos that does not make me laugh... When they were making their "Nerd Crew" videos (parody of Collider and other movie channels) I laughed a lot... BUT once is enough and they made what, 4 or 5 of those already? I was watching their new video about Rise Of Skywalker and I agreed and disagreed with various things they said but when Mike said that the people who liked that movie are dumb I must say it was just sad. They more and more look like a bunch of old farts complaining about everything (and I'm a bit older than them!).
I guess we are all a bit like that with age coming... but I'm not making youtube videos!

Wow. A contender for worst movie evar. I just wanna take a moment to appreciate the fact that JJ & Co. had the guts to say No to that dark tower movie deal way back in the day. They regretted that No.

9jkys5wu8s641.jpg

Yeah this is the only review I ever need to read about this movie

Back
Top Bottom