• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars Episode I: Shadow of the Sith by L8wrtr

Does any known Blu-Ray include deleted scenes in full HD? The common practice is having them in no bigger resolution than 480p...

Can't speak to full deleted scenes, but I'm pretty sure that unused footage and alternate takes in the BTS documentaries are in full HD for the KOTCS Blu-Ray. Also Lucasfilm, so maybe...

L8wrtr, been slowly working my way through various fan edits of the Phantom Menace, and just wanted to say yours is the best I've seen yet. Yo you did a much better job than Lucas of editing the film. Well done and thanks for your hard work!

Thanks Jonathan! There are quite a few TPM edits out there, so that is great praise. Hopefully you'll enjoy 2 and 3 as well!

I haven't had a chance to look at this version yet, but I have to say that it is pretty amazing how much genuine love people have for Star Wars, to want to make the prequels just as enjoyable as the original trilogy by utilizing the material they have to work with.

regarding Phantom Menace, i agree that certain things should've been cut and other things put in. And I can certainly appreciate the reasoning and the thought processes that go behind the editing.

but the fact that so many people have taken it upon themselves to try and find the right balance and set the right tone for the film itself, and there are so many different versions available, its amazing. and also makes it very difficult to choose which could be seen as the definitive versions of the Prequel edits.

But the fact that there are so many versions does leave a lot for people to choose from for their own personal preferences. I look forward to checking this stuff out, if for nothing else to see if these edits really can make these prequels enjoyable and truly in the Star Wars spirit.

thanks Doc.

I hope you find the time to watch Shadow of the Sith and the many other TPM edits out there. I can't speak for other editors, but my approach to the Prequels is based on my love of the original trilogy and wanting to make complete the circle in a way which feels right for me. As far as how many versions there are currently, I would attribute that to two main reasons, one is the very personal nature of Star Wars to such a huge audience, but also time. I suspect, and have no proof, but suspect that the earliest edits, those that appeared in the wake of The Phantom Edit tended to be more cautious, but as more edits came out, the more people realized just how far you could cut into/rearrange the film. But a good edit isn't just cutting, it's the art of cutting well and finding a balance which alleviates the worst problems, maintains the strongest story/character elements, and balances them into something that remains watchable, and is hopefully enjoyable!!

So please, enjoy and do work your way through the others, because you never know which one is the right blend for you:)

Shadow of the Sith is officially set to be re-released in High Definition. The conversion is 40% done. This new edit will be a ground-up rebuild using the Blu ray as the source for both video and audio.

The original release of SotS was my first edit and is plagued by a number of technical flaws which have always bothered me, and this edit will address several audio issues. Additionally, there will likely be some minor tweaks to the edit itself. These are not set in stone as of yet and will not be fully known until I finish the initial rebuild. Once the original edit has been replicated, I will address some issues I had with a few transitions and scenes, but don't expect anything major or drastic.

Release on this new HD version will be on the same day as the HD releases for The Republic Divided and Dawn of the Empire; May 4, 2012.

May the Fourth be with you.

Edits I would fix to look/sound more seamless:

Qui-Gon said "It is possible he was conceived by the Force."
Anakin's "whoa" as he's being picked up by Qui-Gon into the Pod.
I think the shot where Anakin says "Yippee" after being told he can go home is cut a little too quickly right before Wattos close-up shot.

A couple of questions: Is this MIA, as I can't seem to find it anywhere? Also, with the HD release and minor flaws fixed, will there be a DVD release?

Hmm... I wonder if this means "The Phantom Hour" NSP/L8wrtr cut will be showing it's face in HD some time soon? :p

Shadow of the Sith and The Republic Divided went offline with Megaupload. I had been putting off updating until I knew exactly what and when I got to revising them into HD.

I've been getting inquiries as to when the original edits will be available so I don't think I'll hold off for the new releases. I'll be re-uploading 1 and 2 this week. In terms of what will happen once the HD converted is done, yes I will be releasing a DL and SL dvd of them both. With Shadow of the Sith it's even more necessary because the audio really needs to be fixed.

L8wrtr said:
Yes I will be releasing a DL and SL dvd of them both. With Shadow of the Sith it's even more necessary because the audio really needs to be fixed.

Great news. I'll wait for that. :)

One suggestion: I know a lot of people aren't happy with the way you finished the movie (downbeat funeral). Someone awhile back said the movie should end with Yoda and Kenobi's conversation. I didn't like this idea because the funeral scene is actually pretty sweet, but I wonder if it could go funeral-Yoda and Kenobi-credits, rather than Yoda and kenobi-funeral-credits?

Interesting. It is a somewhat more uplifting ending, and if I recall correctly this is how the NSP Phantom Hour ends (but without the funeral pyre). If you go that route you have to lose the conversation between Anakin and Obi-Wan because Obi hasn't yet received permission from the Council (i.e. Yoda) to train Anakin. Also, the Yoda/Obi-Wan scene occurs at dusk and the funeral is after sunset which presents a continuity issue.

While I know there were some that didn't like the somber ending, there were also many that did, and most importantly, I like it. Honestly I cannot fathom a different ending for the film now and removing the parade is actually one of the major reasons I decided to edit this film. Per Jorge's Golden Rule, that's an area where I'm not going to be shifting. ;). If seamless-branching actually worked I would certainly be happy to make a more 'positive' alternate ending, but seamless-branching tends to be fairly brutal with the tools we all have available to us. I'd need a cut-point that was both a hard-cut in both video and audio, so as to minimize the unavoidable pause that occurs as the player figures out where to go, and if I recall, it affects both endings, not just the 'alternate', and lastly, such points are exceptionally scarce in SW films because Williams' score tends to bridge most scenes changes.

I have sometimes toyed with the idea of making an alternate-edit incorporating changes which I refuse to make, such as the chosen one/virgin birth aspect etc.. sort of like the No-Twins version of Kevinicus' TF2 edit, but I don't know if my heart would be in it enough to make it worth my effort.

Sorry, I know I keep holding pat on certain things so it may come off that I'm not willing to entertain changes, but this is a pretty big one for me:)

L8wrtr said:
I have sometimes toyed with the idea of making an alternate-edit incorporating changes which I refuse to make, such as the chosen one/virgin birth aspect etc.. sort of like the No-Twins version of Kevinicus' TF2 edit, but I don't know if my heart would be in it enough to make it worth my effort.
Screw that. Edit for yourself, and at least in my case I may not like all your creative decisions but the fact that you won't compromise your vision to please the audience just earns you further points of respect. :)

Dwight Fry said:
Screw that. Edit for yourself, and at least in my case I may not like all your creative decisions but the fact that you won't compromise your vision to please the audience just earns you further points of respect. :)

That last part sounded like you were describing George Lucas.

DominicCobb said:
That last part sounded like you were describing George Lucas.
The difference being that L8 is not suppressing the theatrical cuts. :)

Dual Layer is once again on the intertubes. Please PM me if you are just dying to have them before they magically appear at .info.

I started watching my copy of SotS last night with the commentary. Didn't get very far. But what I've listened to so far, it's a great commentary. Will by chance be a commentary for TRD and DotE?

Back
Top Bottom