• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars Episode I: Shadow of the Sith by L8wrtr

elbarto1 said:
subs were default on on the DL i watched
Well that's odd. I have the DL and I could have swore I had to turn them on. Maybe it depends on the player?

I had to turn mine on as well (I was watching on my PC through VLC). Anyone else have blocky, semi-transparent subtitles like I mentioned in my review? Or is it a VLC / PC specific problem?

Subs looked fine to me (maybe a tad too big but that's just a personal nit I've picked).

i have seen better looking subs on store-bought dvd's but they didnt bother me here.

My DVD build is specified to force subs and when I play either disk on my BD player, they come up default.

They are not the smoothest, but I haven't been able to find a way for the system to generate anything smoother. To be fair though, the original are somewhat blocky as well, just a tad less than these.

L8wrtr said:
My DVD build is specified to force subs and when I play either disk on my BD player, they come up default.

They are not the smoothest, but I haven't been able to find a way for the system to generate anything smoother. To be fair though, the original are somewhat blocky as well, just a tad less than these.

Would it be possible to include the subs as an .srt file as well, for us who use HTPCs? This would of course allow me to create my own Swedish translation as well. :D

TV's Frink said:
elbarto1 said:
subs were default on on the DL i watched
Well that's odd. I have the DL and I could have swore I had to turn them on. Maybe it depends on the player?
It often does depend on the player. Even if you tell your DVD authoring program to enable subtitles by default, on some players the user will have to turn them on, and vice versa. It is one of the irritating aspects of player-generated subtitles.

TV's Frink said:
Heart....broken....into pieces...

dawson-crying.jpg

I sure hope Jason will take me back :razz:
Not like you would've stayed away from me for long, considering that my V2s of TOTR and TBKR should be shipped out for uploading next week. :p

As much as I wanted to avoid versions, version 2.2 of SOTS is now being made available for download. The DL disk will be available tonight, the SL tomorrow, and the mp4 no later than Monday.

V2.2 includes:

-5.1 Audio issues corrected (thanks Thunderclap!)
-a/r issue on pat of re-inserted deleted probe scene corrected
-additional sound of Jar Jar falling from the balcony removed
-scene of Jar Jar entering the Droid closet on the Nubian removed
-commentary track audio levels adjusted
-Chapter selection menus
-Gredo is now Greedo

DL dvd fixes include
-Deleted scene Play All button corrected
-the Force reel now available from deleted scene menu (was missing despite being on the disk)
-Alternate audio ending option. Rather than traditional Star Wars 'Crash', iris wipe away from Palpatine is accompanied by Duel of the Fates (thank you to elbarto1 for 'encouraging' me to add this)

There will be no more 'versioning' of this movie for the foreseeable future. If the Deleted Scenes are included on the BD release I will most likely return to these edits, but for now, Shadow of the Sith is complete. Thank you to everyone who has watched this and taken the time to provide feedback.

Now.. Up Up and away!!!

EDT: Post updated to include spelling correction of Gredo to Greedo

You forgot to mention one other minor fix - subtitles now default to "on" :)

TV's Frink said:
You forgot to mention one other minor fix - subtitles now default to "on" :)

Oops, yes, found a flaw in how I handled subtitles, should be good to go!

Both DL and SL of THE FINAL CUT are downloadable.

m4k/mp4 next up.

L8wrtr said:
m4k/mp4 now updated

When it's unzipped, the date of the file says 2010-07-14. Or is the DLC not updated?

emphatic said:
L8wrtr said:
m4k/mp4 now updated

When it's unzipped, the date of the file says 2010-07-14. Or is the DLC not updated?

I just did a test-download to see if I made some type of error. You should get the following.

When the folder uncompresses, it have a modified date of 7/31/2010 5:11pm and all if its contents are correct.. The date of 7/14 however is not, is it possible you downloaded it previously and you've somehow grabbed the older folder from your download folder?

L8wrtr said:
When the folder uncompresses, it have a modified date of 7/31/2010 5:11pm and all if its contents are correct.. The date of 7/14 however is not, is it possible you downloaded it previously and you've somehow grabbed the older folder from your download folder?

The previous file (when unzipped) was moved to my HTPC, so there's no trace of it on my laptop (which I use for DLC downloads). I will try again, it's not like the files are on RS. :-D

Edit: Re-downloaded, and got an .mp4 file instead of the .m4v file this time, so all is well!

Are you burned out on Episode I fanedits? First off, quit your complaining, because no one has seen as much of this movie as I have. But beyond that, you need to see this edit. It may just restore your faith in the potential of the prequels.

The big difference between this edit and all the others on the site is the editing of the four-way final battle. I'll get in to it more later in the review, but L8wrtr's editing choices and restructuring of the different components of the battle make this a brand new experience, one that worked for me on every level.

Before I get to the actual edits, I'll mention that video and audio quality are in general excellent. Using adywan's color-corrected version of the film as a starting point works very well, although there were a few spots (mainly the open of the film when the Jedi land on the Trade Federation ship) where colors seemed a little too washed out. The only other really noticeable issue with the color is during the probe droid deleted scene, but beyond that the video quality is very representative of the DVD quality.

I watched the edit twice, in both 2.0 and 5.1. The 2.0 sounded very crisp and clear. The 5.1 (my preferred choice by far) was also very good, although there were a few brief moments here and there where front music levels seemed a tad low.

The DVD presentation is very nice. Along with the movie itself, we get deleted scenes and a commentary track by L8wrtr. I haven't had a chance to listen to the commentary yet, but I sampled it very briefly and it sounds like it will be entertaining. I am particularly looking forward to hearing the justification for not cutting the very few items I would have liked to see cut - and believe me, the list is very small.

With the tech out of the way, we'll move on to the edit itself. I didn't notice any hard cuts and transitions were well done. The edit is fast-paced and aggressive, with even some quick parts of the Obi/Qui-Gon/Maul duel trimmed (something I've never seen before). If you are looking for an edit with as much Jar-Jar and Ani removed as possible, this is it.

The one thing that may trip some people up is that Ani's virgin birth is left intact. If I've understood correctly, L8wrtr left this in because he plans on maintaining the idea that Sidious created Anakin using the force. However, rest assured that midichlorians are completely removed from the edit, making the virgin birth idea less specific and more palatable.

The dinner scene on Tatooine, where Lucas ssssllllllooooooowwwwwllllllyyyyy gives us a ton of exposition (as well as some horrible Jar Jar hijinks), is now lean and efficient. We get the information we need quickly and then move on to the next scene. It's a scene I always dread, and now it's actually bearable.

The podrace is really well done - the focus is now solely on Anakin and Sebulba. No Greg Proops announcer, no wacky secondary characters, just Ani vs. Sebulba for three quick-but-enjoyable laps.

The scenes on Coruscant are probably the least touched scenes, but we still lose a lot of the slow and lame bits. I do wish that the aliens in the senate could have been cut out (ET's family, really?) but otherwise this section of the film satisfies. I was especially pleased to see Anakin's lines to Yoda cut down to almost nothing - no feeling cold, no vocalizing his feelings about his mother, no being petulant, etc.

And so we come to the big battle finale. The order of events is completely changed and it works great. First of all, the Gungan battle is cut away like nothing I've ever seen. The Gungans engage the battle droids, they lose their shield, and they're captured. That's it. Not a single Jar-Jar antic remains. You barely even realize he's in the battle. Amidala and the troops have a quick firefight in the hallway with the droids but never use their ascension guns (no more poorly done practical effect), then are captured and brought to the viceroy. So the Gungans are captured and the Naboo troops are captured. All looks lost, but Anakin saves the day. He destroys the droid control ship, which frees both the Gungans and the Naboo troops. He is truly the sole hero in this version, rather than just part of the victory.

And yes, the Jedi still fight Maul, and the editing is very well done here too. Of special note is the way Maul no longer stands there like a punk waiting for Obi-Wan to flip over him and take him out. It happens in a blink of an eye like it always should have.

Finally, we wrap things up and end on the last shot of Palpatine, a much more satisfying ending than the horrible celebration of the Gungans with the unexplained science experiment. And for those of you who aren't satisfied with the transition from Sidious to the standard Star Wars ending fanfare music, be sure to try the alternate music ending option L8wrtr has provided. I prefer the original music myself, but it's nice to have both options.

So what's left to say? I have seen every Episode I fanedit available on FE.org, and L8wrtr's version comes the closest to what I envision as my perfect cut of the film. I can't wait for his versions of the other two movies. This falls just short of a 10 rating, but I'd give it a 9.5/10 if I could. As it stands it gets a 9/10 and two thumbs up from NPH...

28244178-d314-4ef4-aa24-8ec46362dfdf.gif

awesome frink. awesome!

Wow.. I am truly humbled and honored by your review Frink. I don't think anyone alive has viewed as much TPM as you, probably not even George himself, so your praise means a great deal to me. Thank you.

I understand the general frustration with the immaculate conception, but as you pointed out, my intention for the full prequel is to, if possible, emphasize the notion that Anakin is conceived as part of the Sith plot to overthrow the Jedi, but in the grand scheme of things, he brings balance in the end in RotJ.

At some point I may be willing to consider an alternate version of my edit, something akin to what I believe Kevinicus' kitty calendar version of Transformers 2 is. This way I could addresses this aspect of the film and creates a stand-alone edit from the rest of my planned Prequel. But for now, I need a break from TPM.

Back
Top Bottom