• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

STAR WARS: Episode I - Return of the Sith

Anyone else have video quality problems with this download? The quality looks like 480p at best...I thought it may be the DVD so I bought the best I could find, and still the same quality.

Bornflying79 said:
Anyone else have video quality problems with this download? The quality looks like 480p at best...I thought it may be the DVD so I bought the best I could find, and still the same quality.

Uh... 480p? Since DVD resolution is 720x480 that would make sense.

Ok. You know what I mean. The quality is sub par than other dvd's. I apologize deeply for my mistake in technical details of standard DVD resolution.

Bornflying79 said:
Ok. You know what I mean. The quality is sub par than other dvd's. I apologize deeply for my mistake in technical details of standard DVD resolution.
Careful...

Bornflying79 said:

I also found the quality to be sub par. I'm really hoping Seciors releases this in HD soon.

----------------

stretch009 said:
I also found the quality to be sub par. I'm really hoping Seciors releases this in HD soon.

I personally don't remember any issue with the video quality when I watched this back in October. But I'm also not a Hi-Def guy so my video quality expectations are lower than others who are HD nuts.

Hey guys,

This really is the first I've heard of the quality being poor video-wise, so I'd appreciate one or two examples so I can fix the problem. It's important to make sure you are comparing quality to the source DVD, and not DVDs in general.

So if you can reference specific scenes that compare poorly to the source 420p DVD (not the BD or any other movie), I'd greatly appreciate it. It might be the case that when I reencoded my second version of this release, something went amiss, and of course I'd want to rectify that.

Thanks!

Hi Seciors, thanks for your great edit on Ep 1. The quality is just a little lower than full DVD quality...as compared to the original or other fan-edits, such as JasonN or Phantom Editor when burned on DVD. Just a little "grainy" in the background. Not poor quality, but not great either. It's not any one particular scene, just slightly degraded resolution throughout the movie. Maybe a re-upload of the original file?

Thanks again.

The Phantom Editor's EP 1 is generally considered the worst-looking of the EP 1 edits...I find it hard to believe that this edit would look worse.

It's been a long time since I've seen the phantom edit, maybe not that bad of quality.

I also doubt my video quality is worse than the Phantom Editor's and you should really not make that type of statement unless you know for sure.

If the video quality is a problem, then reuploading won't fix it. The problem lies either with my initial transcoding (DV) or final encoding. Note that my DVD is only single layer since I figured that would be fine for a 90 minute movie. It's certainly possible I might see an improvement by going to dual layer.

I am planning on releasing a HD version, though that is still months away (queued behind The Abyss And Ep 2). If the quality is only slightly less than 'DVD' I might be inclined to wait on this until my HD release. Remember, Episode I is also shot on film as opposed to Ep 2/3 which were fully digital, so even the original source might not look as good as you might expect if you haven't recently watched it.

I do take the quality of my edits very seriously, so if this really is a problem, I will address it. But I need a bit more evidence such as screen shots and/or clips (at 480p resolution) to help me better understand the problem.

I don't know if it helps at all, but I downloaded the MP4 and then converted it to AVI so I could play it through my dvd player using a flash drive, and I thought the video quality was very good

Definitely one of the better Episode 1 edits I've seen aswell. So much so that I'll be going back to grab the dvd download at some point

It does seem I'm getting mixed messages on this topic.

I am kind of thinking that maybe exposure to better quality DVDs (not Ep1) and HD material in general might be a factor here for some people, as well as the quality of their viewing equipment (watching 480p on HD screens, for example).

seciors said:
Note that my DVD is only single layer since I figured that would be fine for a 90 minute movie.

Yes, a DVD-5 should be absolutely fine for ninety minutes. If there is a problem with quality, it does not lie with the choice of a DVD-5. If the source is the old R1 DVD of The Phantom Menace, then that is no doubt part of the problem: it was not a great DVD.

Transcoding to DV could be a factor too. Go straight from the raw DVD/bluray rip to lossless AVI whenever possible (unless you edit the DVD/MPEG2 itself with Womble).

Captain Khajiit said:
Yes, a DVD-5 should be absolutely fine for ninety minutes. If there is a problem with quality, it does not lie with the choice of a DVD-5. If the source is the old R1 DVD of The Phantom Menace, then that is no doubt part of the problem: it was not a great DVD.

Oh yes, I forgot about that. There were a few comments about video quality on my edit for that exact reason.

I suspect this is the main issue regarding video quality for my edit as well, as I did use the R1 DVD as my source.

Seciors, I wouldn't worry too much about it at the moment. Everybody has different opinions on what is "good" picture quality. When I watched your edit last October I said this:

Technical Quality: Video quality is perfect. Everything looked crisp. Audio is perfect. No discernible problems. 10/10

I popped the DVD in last night to check it again and sure the picture is a little fuzzy, but I also popped in The Phantom Edit and that was much worse.

I'm sorry, It had been a long time since Ive seen the phantom editor...nowhere near that poor quality. Have to be careful what I say around here.

Back
Top Bottom