• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

STAR WARS: Episode I - Return of the Sith

Just to clarify, there's no official rule about DVD releases and standardized menus. There is a big preference for DVD (and now blu-ray or AVCHD for HD source), but it comes down to viewer/editor preference.

Neglify said:
Just to clarify, there's no official rule about DVD releases and standardized menus. There is a big preference for DVD (and now blu-ray or AVCHD for HD source), but it comes down to viewer/editor preference.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that a DVD with DVD cover art was required to be considered a real fan edit release, but maybe that has changed and/or I am wrong? (or maybe that is just for firstlings?)

At any rate, can you give me a pointer/link on how to release HD material without using blu-ray (which I assume to be AVCHD)? That's the route I'm going to need to take for my HD material, unless it involves blu-ray discs....

Thanks!

seciors said:
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that a DVD with DVD cover art was required to be considered a real fan edit release, but maybe that has changed and/or I am wrong? (or maybe that is just for firstlings?)

Nope, nowhere that I know of states a DVD is a requirement. Cover Art yes is a requirement, even if it's an MP4 only release.

Non-blu hd sources are not allowed. I mean, I guess hd-dvd would be okay, but hd TV rips would not be.

Ummm, I'm not sure what you are implying, but my rip is from blu-ray

Since you didn't address my question, I'm asking about final release format, not source format. Once again, I'm asking for information about AVCHD and if that requires blu-ray discs or not.

FYI, It will be 720p because I prefer to work with that format, for various reasons. Hope that's ok with you.

First off, I had to edit your post to remove some of what you wrote, as it is not allowed in the forum. I will PM you with the details.

Second, chill out. I misread your post, nothing more. No need to get snippy.

Consider me "chilled out" then. Glad you understand what I was asking about now.

No you don't need to do a BD release. Few of us do. AVCHD is more popular, though I am personally not a fan. For you though AVCHD might be a good way to go since your edits have thus far been barebones as far as menus and extras go. AVCHD gets problematic when you start trying to get fancy with extra stuff.

Unfortunately MKV doesn't work for you either since you are trying to use apple tv. Apple being the bitches they are refuse to support certain superior open source formats in favor of proprietary crap.

Probably AVCHD would be best for you.

MKV is doable on the Mac. With perian, QuickTime can read AVIs, FLVs, MKVs. Although authoring directly to MKV might not be doable with apple's own software, at least you can mux/encode with mkvtools.

I don't mind releasing in mkv format if that is what is preferred for HD releases here. I can seek out the third party tools.

When the time comes for me to release in HD I will ask how to do it in the tech forums.

I'll also try to look at some ways in improving my DVD menus. :)

ssj said:
MKV is doable on the Mac. With perian, QuickTime can read AVIs, FLVs, MKVs. Although authoring directly to MKV might not be doable with apple's own software, at least you can mux/encode with mkvtools.

Does this mean it could work with apple tv?

geminigod said:
Does this mean it could work with apple tv?

No, it wouldn't. You have to convert it. But there's a great piece of free software called Handbrake that can do this with MKV files, and also retain the surround sound mix.

That sounds like a lot of bullcrap to have to go through for apple tv. There is also this old fashioned thing called wires. They are pretty cool. :p

Maybe I just haven't played with it enough, but I have never understood the whole apple tv hype.

The AppleTV is great for when you have kids and you don't want DVDs to get lost/scratched/etc. That's the original reason I got it. There's other benefits too, but you mostly have to be part of the Apple eco-system to fully take advantage of it.

seciors said:
No, it wouldn't. You have to convert it. But there's a great piece of free software called Handbrake that can do this with MKV files, and also retain the surround sound mix.

I don't think there is any reason to reencode most mkv files with handbrake. They are usually h.264 video. On that note, I would suggest authoring a AVCHD complaint stream, and then muxing it into an mkv. This would allow people to convert the file to AVCHD/mp4 for things like the PS3/appletv which don't support mkv.

wabid said:
I don't think there is any reason to reencode most mkv files with handbrake. They are usually h.264 video. On that note, I would suggest authoring a AVCHD complaint stream, and then muxing it into an mkv. This would allow people to convert the file to AVCHD/mp4 for things like the PS3/appletv which don't support mkv.

My experience has been that you do need to re-encode if you want it to be compatible with AppleTV, which is kind of picky about how the h.264 video was encoded.

Getting back on topic, I think authoring AVCHD DVD-compliant images will be the way to go for me, since this is in fact a supported option in my toolset (Final Cut Pro X / Compressor 4). My research tells me these DVDs should play in blu-ray players. Then also release an SD DVD version (for those without any access to HD), and finally an HD MP4. With all those options, I don't see any additional need for an mkv.

Ok, all this recent talk about this edit has spurred me on to start working on the HD version in parallel to working on my episode 2. I hope to release them simultaneously if possible. I do plan on making revisions to improve the technical quality and the story telling (as long as it fits within my overall intent and vision). So feel free to make suggestions/requests for changes (beyond what's already been said). :)

I know for a fact that Neg is a big fan of creepy puppet Yoda.

Back
Top Bottom