• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars Episode I - Return of the Sith: Revisited Edition

Hal9000 said:
Would you feel a need to go back (or just live with regret) if future films use Darth as a Sith title? (I suppose you could offload the burden of justifying it to them rather than the prequels.)

Not really, because of two reasons:
(1) Because I see the PT + OT as the story of Anakin. To me it is a complete story, and as such, until proven otherwise, that's my goal for the PT.
(2) Due to other more important decisions for my edits, the only place "Darth" needs to be explicitly cut is in my Episode III, when Palpatine describes the story of the Sith legend of his master (plageus?, sorry about the spelling), and if recall correctly, I think Yoda says "Darth Sidious" once before he fights him. So there are only two places in my whole PT that actually mention "Darth" other than for Darth Vader. (My Episode I has no mention of Darth Maul since the Sidious plotline is cut, so we never know his name, and in Episode II, there's only once "Darth" mention and that was the Obi-Wan/Dooku scene which I ended up having to cut since I couldn't get it to work satisfactorily the way I wanted it to).

So if I do change my mind, I would only need to make one or two small changes to my episode III. And if I felt it would improve overall continuity, given the small changes it would require, I'd probably do it. But for now, since those movies don't exist, to me it is more important to maintain continuity with the OT, and "Darth" in the OT is just for Vader.

Finally, we all might be compelled to edit the new movies as we were for the PT. ;-)

Good point. For your edits, it's kind of a "may as well while I'm at it" thing, if nothing else.

It is still based on over-arching goals I have for my edit:
(1) Alignment with the OT
(2) Simplification of the PT plot. (having different honorifics for the Sith to me is complicated. In fact, I might even remove the name "Sideous" as well, and leave Palpatine only known as the Emperor, since again, "Sideous" never comes up in my Episode I & II...)

Thank you [MENTION=20603]Siebener[/MENTION] for your review, which was detailed and well thought out! I greatly appreciate the time you took not only to watch my edit, but to also rewatch TPM (sorry you had to experience that!) and then write me a long review.

To address a couple of your points:

(1) Yes, my intent has been to make sure to include a younger audience which is IMO what the OT wanted to do as well. That's my main reason for removing as much political stuff as possible (though I personally found it all boring anyway).

Out of the three PT episodes, this one suffers the most from relying on a political plotline (Sidious controlling the Trade Federation for his own purposes, using the front about trade route disputes to attack Naboo, Sidious controlling the sentate, Palpatine's power move to become the chancellor, etc.) so by removing the entire Sidious plotline the story becomes much more straightforward but also less "deep." I'm ok with that though, since the following two episodes become much more dark in nature. This one is intended as a fast paced, fun introduction to the star wars universe, and purposefully meant to not be bogged down or complicated. But it does plant the seeds for what is to come.

(2) Yes, I am terrible at cover art and artwork in general! I do agree my cover is not that great. Maybe I'll see if someone might be willing to create me a new one by posting in the cover art request forum.

Again, thanks so much for your review and for your insights!

Thank you [MENTION=25564]not orson welles[/MENTION] so much for your review! It's my very first all 10s review I've ever received for anything! :)

I'm really glad you liked my edit, and thanks again for taking the time to watch it and review it; I greatly appreciate it!

Hey [MENTION=7682]dangermouse[/MENTION], thank you so much for your great review! I really appreciate you watching my edit and taking the time to write such a nice review; It's reviews like these that make all those countless (and I mean countless!) hours working on every little detail worthwhile! :)

Glad you liked my removal of Sidious -- that was the "lightning bolt" idea that made it possible for me to feel like I could make a decent movie out of episode I (well, that and removing the underwater city). And I'm also happy to hear you liked my version of the pod race.

Again, thank you, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

A good edit deserves a good review. Thank YOU seciors for making an edit good enough to knock the brilliant L8wrtr edit off top spot (on my shelf at least)! And my kids enjoyed it - still a bit complicated for them, as I mentioned, but MUCH less complicated than TPM. WHat on earth was George thinking with such a plot! Grief! (My kids are 5 and 7, by the way).

Glad both you and your kids enjoyed it! They are part of my target audience (for my whole PT). That's why I sometimes keep things in that other editors cut (but I always have a reason for what I keep or cut with respect to the narrative).

You are right, this movie (and the whole PT) is very complicated (and boring) plot-wise; I did my best to streamline it, but I agree, it is still a bit too complicated for the younger set.

No OT movie comes even near the complicated plot lines of the PT. It was just the good guys vs the bad guys, and it was easy to tell who was who. It really is too bad George couldn't keep things simpler. (e.g., let someone else write and direct them!!)

Thanks again, dangermouse, I do appreciate it! :)

If anyone is having problems accessing my edit, please PM me with the specifics and I will help you. Don't post in this thread as it is against the rules.

Thanks!

Darn, I missed my chance to yell.

;)

Just wanted to give a shout out to [MENTION=23402]Uebelator[/MENTION] for providing me some awesome new artwork!

Here's the 3D version:
rots_3d.jpg

As you can see, he is quite talented! He also made me a new banner in the same theme. :)

Thanks again Uebelator!!

Thank you OnlyOneKenobi for your detailed review, and I'm glad you enjoyed the edit! I'm glad you liked the new crawl (thanks again to all those who helped out!), as well as the removal of "Trade" from Federation. You make some very astute and interesting observations as well about both TPM and my edit.

Again, thank you for taking the time to both watch and review my edit; I greatly appreciate it! :)

Just wanted to sincerely thank [MENTION=6416]white43[/MENTION] for his recent review, which blew me away with how superlative it was - thank you! I am so glad you enjoyed all the major choices I made for this edit - removing Sidious completely, as well as the whole underwater visit; changing the Trade Federation to just the Federation; the pod race, the final battle...everything seemed to resonate with you, and I'm so glad it did!

again, thank you for watching my edit, and of course for the wonderful review - it means a great deal to me, and truly makes the countless hours I spent on this edit worthwhile (as does every review!)

Congrats on your award Seciors, I'm a noob so could only vote in spirit! First time I've ever enjoyed this film, well deserved recognition for all your hard work.

Thanks OnlyOneKenobi, I sincerely appreciate it!

Watched the first 15 minutes yesterday - awesome! Can't wait to finish once I have a block of time to spare.

Do you have a larger version of this cover art:

rots-revisited-front-26-1381362016.jpg

MichaelE said:
Watched the first 15 minutes yesterday - awesome! Can't wait to finish once I have a block of time to spare.

Do you have a larger version of this cover art:

rots-revisited-front-26-1381362016.jpg

Go to the IFDB page for the edit, click the Artwork tab.

Back
Top Bottom