• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars EP VII: Heir to the Force (Prolonged Reveal)

DigModiFicaTion said:
most all of my composites that used fades resulted in massive halos and seemed to fade out to white.

Have you tried changing the order in which any filters are applied in the chain? There are certain filters in Vegas that play merry hell with layers and masks if they aren't placed as the final filter in the chain.

TM2YC said:
DigModiFicaTion said:
most all of my composites that used fades resulted in massive halos and seemed to fade out to white.

Have you tried changing the order in which any filters are applied in the chain? There are certain filters in Vegas that play merry hell with layers and masks if they aren't placed as the final filter in the chain.

Yeah, I've spent who knows how many hours trying to tweek things, but it seems that the studio rgb doesn't like to fade correctly. The hologram scenes only use the single filter per video segment. I applied a track wide sony leveling to establish the studio rgb. I've then hacked the levels here and there to make some composites appear as originally intended, but the hologram is just a mess right now :( I even tried changing the layers of my composites, but still a no go. The issue I'm finding is that the cookie cutter filter, which I use extensively during the hologram scenes, just can't achieve the smooth feathering effect I was getting with computer rgb. I'm currently rendering avi files of the holograms and crawl and using those as drop ins. Most everything else is straight cuts, with the audio being the only really heavily edited portion beyond the holograms and crawl.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Quick update,

The Computer RGB to Studio RGB color correction is resulting in a lot of composite issues. I'm currently working on trying to rectify the situation.

In the meantime, here's another little idea that I had

%@²¦¬¤"*%"¬±"@¦¢

It looks just like the default scenes!

I don't know what you did, but it works. Is there actual hope for the deleted scenes of TFA now? Incredible.

^Thanks Daxtreme! :D

I've come to another roadblock with the studio rgb problem. Below is a picture that shows a correctly rendered file in different media players.

[img=800x500]http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums...edia player comparisons_zpsbt4mfvmb.png[/img]

Top left = vlc
Bottom left = windows 10 movies app
Top right = windows media player
Bottom right = mphc

The source file is exactly the same with the correct studio RGB. Quicktime is similar to what vlc and the windows 10 app is displaying. My corrected preview screen in Sony Vegas is displaying what windows media player and mphc are showing. This is kind of frustrating.

I found this quote on a help forum:
Sudhadip said:
Media Player Classic is giving you the accurate output. VLC is interpreting video as 0-255 when it should be 16-235. Thus, what is black (0) is shown as grey (16), 255 is shown as 235, and everything in between is skewed. This is a well known issue with Geforce cards and VLC with a not as well known solution, which you can refer to here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthrea...edia-player-but-not-in-VLC-or-Quicktime/page2.

For the most accurate output, however, I highly recommend Media Player Classic + madVR renderer.

Looks like my dislike of vlc may be justified.

The first one, maybe slightlyimperfect, but the second sequence is _something_!  Well done!  In the first one, after Finn says “Back to Jakku?!” there is a strange overlappingof voices but it could go off without big problems, I guess

I like everything, but not the part with removing Luke from the end.

That's the only reason I would ever watch through TFA ever again, because it builds up to this big legend I've missed for thirty years. 

However, your edit might change that though! It'll be a great watch! I'll crush my way through the original again like a week before I watch yours to refresh every little detail.

Andreas said:

That's the only reason I would ever watch through TFA ever again, because it builds up to this big legend I've missed for thirty years. 

However, your edit might change that though! It'll be a great watch! I'll crush my way through the original again like a week before I watch yours to refresh every little detail.

Andrea, you bring up a point. The crawl and movie focus can not be about finding Luke, it needs to be this girls Adventure that just HAPPENS to find Luke.

I am okay with Luke not being in the movie, as I like the idea of having him for more than 30 seconds, but the premise needs to alter as the focus as mentioned.

Canon Editor said:
The first one, maybe slightlyimperfect, but the second sequence is _something_!  Well done!  In the first one, after Finn says “Back to Jakku?!” there is a strange overlappingof voices but it could go off without big problems, I guess

Thanks Canon Editor! The audio is actually untouched and runs like the original in that scene. The only changes are a horizontal flip of Rey pointing. 

Andreas said:

Thank you for your honest response Andreas. I'm likewise awaiting your Ancient Lore edit before I traverse the prequels again :)

revel911 said:
The crawl and movie focus can not be about finding Luke, it needs to be this girls Adventure that just HAPPENS to find Luke.

I am okay with Luke not being in the movie, as I like the idea of having him for more than 30 seconds, but the premise needs to alter as the focus as mentioned.

I'm kind of conflicted with this also. It is/was easy to remove Luke visually from the end of the movie, but he is so intertwined with the story that it's hard not to mention something in the crawl to justify the scenes of Jakku, the character of Poe, Han & Leia, BB-8, etc. That is part of the reason I wanted to take out the lines about Poe in the crawl and simply leave the idea of Leia wanting to find Luke. It's more akin to Leia's search for Obi-Wan in ep 4 in that she feels like Luke is her only hope, but still soldiers on. Revel911, as always, thanks for challenging me to make sure my ideas and edits flow conceptually :)

Interesting thought, did Leai know that Kenobi was on Tatooine? Perhaps Bail told her to pick him up on the way back to Alderaan?

DigModiFicaTion said:
I'm kind of conflicted with this also. It is/was easy to remove Luke visually from the end of the movie, but he is so intertwined with the story that it's hard not to mention something in the crawl to justify the scenes of Jakku, the character of Poe, Han & Leia, BB-8, etc. That is part of the reason I wanted to take out the lines about Poe in the crawl and simply leave the idea of Leia wanting to find Luke. It's more akin to Leia's search for Obi-Wan in ep 4 in that she feels like Luke is her only hope, but still soldiers on. Revel911, as always, thanks for challenging me to make sure my ideas and edits flow conceptually :)

Interesting thought, did Leai know that Kenobi was on Tatooine? Perhaps Bail told her to pick him up on the way back to Alderaan?

I love the idea that this is a personal quest for Leia and that anyone else is just happen stance and on for the ride. It really doesn't make sense for everyone to be looking for him, when many don't even think the force is real. I am also okay with Ren and Snoke looking as well, seems very Vader like to exterminate the rest of the jedi.

Do we need to be told about Luke via the crawl or can we find out about him naturally through the movie?

revel911 said:
I love the idea that this is a personal quest for Leia and that anyone else is just happen stance and on for the ride. It really doesn't make sense for everyone to be looking for him, when many don't even think the force is real. I am also okay with Ren and Snoke looking as well, seems very Vader like to exterminate the rest of the jedi.

Do we need to be told about Luke via the crawl or can we find out about him naturally through the movie?

I think there has to be a mention of him in the crawl. Especially because the opening scenes revolve around the idea of finding him. Within a few minutes Ren even asks San Tekka directly about the map to Skywalker. The new crawl also acts to fill in some of what has happened in the last 30 years, so ultimately I think putting him in the crawl is the right choice here.

If you want to deemphasize Luke but keep him in the crawl, make it the last line, to contrast it being the first line in the theatrical version.
"Crawl crawl crawl. Crawl crawl crawl. Crawl. Meanwhile, Luke Skywalker has vanished..."

addiesin said:
If you want to deemphasize Luke but keep him in the crawl, make it the last line, to contrast it being the first line in the theatrical version.
"Crawl crawl crawl. Crawl crawl crawl. Crawl. Meanwhile, Luke Skywalker has vanished..."

That was the intent of the new crawl I posted a while ago. He's at the end of paragraph two and mentioned in the last paragraph.

password: fanedit.org

DigModiFicaTion said:
revel911 said:

I think there has to be a mention of him in the crawl. Especially because the opening scenes revolve around the idea of finding him. Within a few minutes Ren even asks San Tekka directly about the map to Skywalker. The new crawl also acts to fill in some of what has happened in the last 30 years, so ultimately I think putting him in the crawl is the right choice here.

I agree.  Also, interesting as there is no audio cut in the clip.  
Furthermore, I see you decided to retain the double subtitle to the film.  Cool.

The one of Rey and Finn talking, just after BB-8 thumbs up to Finn.

Oh, I read your other post wrong. I thought you had said there was no audio in the clip.  :rolleyes: Yep, just a horizontal flip.

Back
Top Bottom