• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

STAR TREK "Perdition's Flames"

Dethryl said:
Can we start with the Plinkett review and work from there?

I have never seen the Plinkett Review... :lol: lol

THANK YOU to [MENTION=26241]SKYflix[/MENTION] for posting a review.

It's funny with the passage of time, one's perspective on one's past fan edits changes...
For a long time, whenever I thought about PERDITION'S FLAMES, all I really remember was how frustrating and stressful it was to create. In retrospect, I clearly did not have enough of a skill set yet to tackle such a challenging project. But on the flipside, I learned lots, both good and bad.

When I watch it now, I still see lots of flaws (aspect ratio, interlacing, audio issues -- the bane of my existance LOL) but I am still pretty happy with the overall structure considering it was only my second or third fan edit.

But I think I now agree with many past reviewers that somehow I should have incorporated Spock's onscreen death to give the movie better closure. An idea that recently occurred to me, is to have a scene in Kirk's quarters before the funeral and have Kirk watch the security video of Spock's sacrifice. Though for story pacing, I am not sure how that would affect Kirk's reconciliation scene with David? Though the chances of me ever doing a version two is pretty slim....

Forgive my rambling... lol

I really happy you enjoy the edit so much.
Keep on Trekking! :)

Bob, out of interest have you got any more Star Treks in the works? Or ideas lurking in the back of your mind?

I guess I should work out how to put reviews on the database ;-)

DANLAV05 said:
Bob, out of interest have you got any more Star Treks in the works? Or ideas lurking in the back of your mind?

Ideas for more Star Trek edits are ALWAYS lurking in mind...LOL!

DS9 is my favorite series after TOS, so I have always wanted to do something with it, but I have never come up with an approach or arc that has excited me enough.

I would like to do maybe another couple ENTERPRISE season four edits... maybe the Vulcan arc or Mirror Universe ... or take the final Babel arc and craft it into a proper series finale.

I suppose my dream project would be if I could ever get hold of the high rez new fx for FINAL FRONTIER that are posted on Youtube, to create my ultimate cut of THIS OTHER EDEN, except as a proper theatrical cut instead of a tv movie.

Will any of these Trek projects happen? I honestly don't know... but I hope so. :)

bionicbob said:
Ideas for more Star Trek edits are ALWAYS lurking in mind...LOL!

DS9 is my favorite series after TOS, so I have always wanted to do something with it, but I have never come up with an approach or arc that has excited me enough.

I would like to do maybe another couple ENTERPRISE season four edits... maybe the Vulcan arc or Mirror Universe ... or take the final Babel arc and craft it into a proper series finale.

I suppose my dream project would be if I could ever get hold of the high rez new fx for FINAL FRONTIER that are posted on Youtube, to create my ultimate cut of THIS OTHER EDEN, except as a proper theatrical cut instead of a tv movie.

Will any of these Trek projects happen? I honestly don't know... but I hope so. :)

OK cool

I'm not the world's biggest ENTERPRISE fan but I have grown to appreciate some storylines as setting up for the Star Trek I grew up with which is cool - I certainly enjoyed the Mirror eps and Wrath of the Augments as a prequel to Space Seed/The Wrath of- I mean Perdition's Flames ;-) I did enjoy the Vulcan arc a lot and I am thinking of trying to cut them together myself. If you want to do it though please do - you're more technically skilled than me - the arc gives a lot to Trek mythology and it felt almost like a movie.

DS9 the obvious answer for films is THE DOMINION WAR but there is so much of it! Again I downloaded a guy's 70ish (!) clips off youtube back in 2008 and cut them into three films that are now long gone - it was ChrRei I think, he added bits like the Enterprise-E, Andorians from Enterprise and even clips from Starship Troopers (Starfleet Marine Corps?!) to give more depth. I think to cover it in full you would have to make at least 2 movies. The movies I did are long since destroyed as they dragged and weren't in highest quality overall. I did however (I'm a Trek fanw*nk/crossover nut, hence I love Khitomer Conspiracy!) attempt a Dominion War TNG episode - it's more of a series of events than a story - but the aim was to show what Picard and crew were doing during the war:

The entirety of DS9 however could probably work like TOS - another six film series as all the arcs eventually fold into the war? Again you would have to decide what to leave out, however there are a lot of cinematic dogfights which are hopefully being remastered in HD.

The one other Trek project, if possible would be a 50minute episode using all 3 Barclay/Troi Voyager episodes cut down from Barclay's POV. It would basically be a TNG episode showing Barclay's attempts to contact Voyager and bring her home.

DANLAV05 said:
The entirety of DS9 however could probably work like TOS - another six film series as all the arcs eventually fold into the war?

This would be my general thought too. But the idea of committing to a 6 movie fan edit series at this point I find daunting. Plus, I don't know if I would just keep it focused on the Dominion or also maintain the Bajor/Emissary subplot too, as I have mixed feelings about Sisko being half Prophet and his "death" at the end of the series.

The one other Trek project, if possible would be a 50minute episode using all 3 Barclay/Troi Voyager episodes cut down from Barclay's POV. It would basically be a TNG episode showing Barclay's attempts to contact Voyager and bring her home.

I can pretty much guarantee I will never do a VOYAGER fan edit... LOL. It is my least favorite of the various Trek series.

But all this talk has got my Trek wheels a spinning.... ;-)

bionicbob said:
my dream project would be if I could ever get hold of the high rez new fx for FINAL FRONTIER that are posted on Youtube, to create my ultimate cut of THIS OTHER EDEN, except as a proper theatrical cut instead of a tv movie.

Links please. All I could find on YouTube loked really fake. IMO A fan would have to work very hard to do better SFX than the model shots in a Star Trek film, even the realtively poor ones from ST5.

Maybe you could take a crack at this...

I suggested somewhere a while ago in my ideas thread that it would be nice to see/hear 1953's 'Forbidden Planet' turned into a sort of Star Trek prequel movie. With the score swapped out for a Star Trek one and all the SoundFX changed to the familiar ST ones e.g. TOS phaser sounds etc

star_trek__forbidden_planet_by_abacreative-d68frjs.jpg

TM2YC said:
I suggested somewhere a while ago in my ideas thread that it would be nice to see/hear 1953's 'Forbidden Planet' turned into a sort of Star Trek prequel movie. With the score swapped out for a Star Trek one and all the SoundFX changed to the familiar ST ones e.g. TOS phaser sounds etc

That would be fun challenge as the influence this movie had on Roddenberry is very obvious.
But audio work is my kryptonite.
If someone else stripped the audio for me, I might be willing to take a crack at it....lol

While some of these FX shots are not finalized, they still look better than many of the horrendous model shots done for Final Frontier imo....

TM2YC said:
Links please. All I could find on YouTube loked really fake. IMO A fan would have to work very hard to do better SFX than the model shots in a Star Trek film, even the realtively poor ones from ST5.

Maybe you could take a crack at this...

star_trek__forbidden_planet_by_abacreative-d68frjs.jpg

This has been brought up before. :)

bionicbob said:
But I think I now agree with many past reviewers that somehow I should have incorporated Spock's onscreen death to give the movie better closure. An idea that recently occurred to me, is to have a scene in Kirk's quarters before the funeral and have Kirk watch the security video of Spock's sacrifice.

I really liked the idea! But I understand you don't want to go back. Do you? ;-)

bionicbob said:

DS9 is my favorite Star Trek series, especially for the arc and some seriously excellent episodes. But I concur, I'm not sure how I would approach the edit.

bionicbob said:

This I would watch! I was not areally fan of Enterprise, but I still liked it more than Voyager. But Season 3 was a real step up and season 4 was excellent! The micro-arc of 2-4 episodes was a great approach and they really built the fundation of the universe.

Wow!  Another retro-review by the amazing @"mnkykungfu"!  Thanks for the taking the time.  I don't even know how you are finding these oldies?  
. Perhaps I would've liked it more if Khan's side were included later in the film as flashbacks when Kirk finds out what happened.
...oh!  I like that idea!  A lot!  I might steal that if I ever go back and try to re-edit these in HD.

Thanks again for the review and the trip down memory alpha lane.  :D

...and THANKS to @drvrjon for another genesis wave of memories!

"Perdition's Flames" -- very experimental for me at the time and I am not sure it all really works in retrospect, but I am happy to hear you enjoyed it as the alternate viewing experience as it was intended. :)

A big THANK YOU to @The Warlord for his very kind review.

As I think I have mentioned before in this thread, whenever I look back at my earliest fan edits (Perdition's Flames was only my second release), all I now see are all the mistakes I made and what I could do better. While it was probably too ambitious for my skill set (or lack of...) at the time, it turned out to be an incredible learning experience for me. But yes, many of the music choices and cues, I would do very differently today.

How did you create that gorgeous title sequence?

If memory serves, I mostly used the teaser trailer for Star Trek 6.

I *loved* the trailer, but am puzzled at its placement just before the main feature.

I believe I was trying to create a pre-episode teaser, like the old tv shows would have had...

The end titles were great, but I wonder if all the film credits were included in such a short space of time?

Definitely not. I think I just focused on the big name contributors and those listed on the DVD sleeve.

Also, I'm not sure what aspect ratio we were going for here?

... uhg.... lol... so embarrassing.... this is my inexperience at the time shining through and not understanding my tools. The fan edit was unintentionally released as 4x3 Letterbox and since VHS tapes were still a thing back then and that was how movies like this were released, the Forum very generously gave me a pass.

Back
Top Bottom