• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek Discovery

addiesin said:
I watched a little. It's funny, the Orville's production team obviously tried to distance the look of their Krill aliens from the traditional Klingon design for legal reasons. But since Discovery did the same thing for "creative" reasons, the Krill look just like the new albino Klingons. Whoops!

The first thing that I thought of when seeing the Krill and hearing their name was that it's surprising that the makers of "Star Trek Beyond" aren't suing them for the combined similarity to Krall in both name and appearance.

Krill:

[img=600x338]https://web.archive.org/web/2017101...e-Ep106_Sc63-RM_0626_hires1-625x352.jpg[/img]

Krall:

[img=600x331]https://web.archive.org/http://www....oads/2016/07/star-trek-beyond-krall.jpg[/img]

Convergent evolution isn't just an in-universe phenomena. It also happens behind the scenes.

The TNG episode "The Chase" revealed that all or most humanoids in the Star Trek universe were descended from the same species, which was seeded on various planets across the universe by a race of humanoids. Therefore, evolution among humanoids in the Star Trek universe isn't convergent, but rather the opposite (with each species starting out the same and evolving in different ways on each planet on which they were placed).

I'm not sure whether this is the case of the universe of "The Orville", however.

SPOILER 

Episode 5.
 i wasnt shocked that star trek after 54 years decided to swear twice in a single episode but more disapointed. and what has happened to the klingon code of honour,also the imprisoned captain vaporizes every klingon he comes across only to scar the female torturer(probally so she can re-appear in a future episode) then to leave her so she could raise the alarm.

gazza said:
SPOILER 

Episode 5.
 i wasnt shocked that star trek after 54 years decided to swear twice in a single episode but more disapointed. 

Agree.  While I am not against it, it did not even feel earned in that particular scene.

Discovery has done one thing that I never thought possible in Star Trek.... it has made Klingons boring.  That is an incredible accomplishment.
:dodgy:
So Klingons eat humans now?  ...sigh....  :-/

My guess is the other Starfleet prisoner is really a Klingon spy, probably Voq genetically altered since he had to "give up everything."
Will he become more open minded by living and working with Humans?

Still enjoying the drama/character bits with the crew on the Discovery.   Though the Tardigrade subplot really bothered me.  Whether it is sentient or not, it was clearly in distress (even being tortured) every time they forced it to be part of the Spore Drive.... what is wrong with this crew?  

I liked Rainn Wilson as Harry Mudd.  While he does not have same overly dramatic flair, I thought he brought the right energy to the role.  And his ravings about Stella I thought was funny considering what we know of their future.

Lorca.  Wow.  Killed his entire previous crew rather than go down the ship too?  

So was the last shot a tease of a mirror universe?

Some nice easter eggs and name dropping.

Again, another frustrating episode.  
But is it frustrating because it is overly flawed or because it is not the Star Trek I am comfortable with?
I am not entirely sure yet.

Compared to the first season episodes of TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT, this is a far stronger and better executed show.  But some of the choices it has made so far really do not make sense to me.   Despite this, I am finding the majority of the episodes do engage and hold (except for the long drawn out Klingon bits) my attention, and I find myself still looking forward to the next week to see what will unfold.

The F-bomb worked for me simply because it came from the awkward crew member you never expected would utter the word. The disintegration of Klingon's seems to be that those killed were a major threat, i.e. had weapons. The female Klingon didn't have a weapon and was incapacitated so why kill her? That's how it felt to me at least. Finally, I don't remember any mention of Klingon's eating humans. If they did then I totally missed it.

Q2 said:
Finally, I don't remember any mention of Klingon's eating humans. If they did then I totally missed it.

Sorry, it was mentioned in episode 4 "The Butcher's Knife..." during one very long subtitle Klingon conversations, they apparently ate Captain Georgiou's corpse.  Though to be fair, I gathered the crew was starving after being abandoned by the Klingon Houses for 6 months.

From Trekyards, replacing the new version of the D7 Klingon Cruiser with the classic canon version  :)

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jldnOkg16f8[/video]

bionicbob said:
Compared to the first season episodes of TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT, this is a far stronger and better executed show.  But some of the choices it has made so far really do not make sense to me.   Despite this, I am finding the majority of the episodes do engage and hold (except for the long drawn out Klingon bits) my attention, and I find myself still looking forward to the next week to see what will unfold.

Totally agree that the early episodes of Discovery have far outclassed the early episodes from previous Trek series.  To me this really bodes well for the future of the show.  Despite its flaws, I'm thoroughly enjoying the series so far.

So Discovery has been renewed for season two....
http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/23/star-trek-discovery-renewed-for-season-2/

Episode 6 "Lethe"

So we are almost at the half way point of the series and I still do not have a clear sense of what this show is or wants to be.

If it is a "war show", I have no sense of the scale or repercussions or morality of this war.  (Something DS9 did wonderfully, continually exploring the concept of how do you maintain paradise/utopia/ideals and fight a war?).

If it is an exploration show, I mean it is called Star TREK, we have only gotten the tiniest hint at this potential element through the Tarigrade and Spore Drive.  But so far, no real new worlds explored.

But as a character show, it succeeds very strongly.   This latest episode was probably the best since the pilot in fleshing out Michael's character and making her more relatable and likeable.   Again, this episode, I loved Tilly.   Even Stammet's was really fun this episode, as he has a definite genius hippy vide here which I hope the writers maintain and build upon.  

So Ash has only been on the Discovery for a week and is promoted to Chief of Security?  Hhhmmmmmm.......

More tortured and maybe sinister hints at Lorca's past?   Is he just broken goods or is the online theory correct, and he is not the real Lorca but a Mirror Universe doppleganger?

Again, the producers defy the timeline by having a holo-deck.

Some nice new elements added to the Vulcan mythos... Logic Extremists.  Works for me.

But this episode also made me wonder, did Michael even attend Starfleet Academy?
I was going on the assumption that Spock was probably quite few years older than Michael, but based on the Sarek flashback, and both Michael and Spock applying and being tentatively accepted to the Vulcan Expeditionary Forces at the same time, they are probably very close in age.

We know this story takes place in 2255.   We know 7 years earlier, Sarek brought Michael to Captain Georgiou, so that would be around 2247 or 48, which according to Memory Beta is when Spock entered Starfleet Academy, so that fits.  So did Georgiou sponsor Michael to the Academy and fast tracked her back to the Shinzhou?  We know cadets do serve aboard starships.  And both Spock and Michael are clearly brilliant and could have completed Academy studies in a shorter time span.   Though Michael rose to the rank of Lt. Cmdr and First Officer in only 7 years while Spock at this same time would be serving under Pike as either an Ensign or Lt., depending on the source material.   Though clearly, serving aboard the Enterprise, the newest in a line of Constitution Class starships would be a better and higher profile assignment.

Wow... my nerd brain is waaayyyyyy over thinking this! :p

Anyway, I really enjoyed the Plot A storyline of Michael, it had a nice arc to it and set some new elements into play.  As for the continuing subplot B with Lorca, he continues to be a mystery... displaying a different quality in each new episode which makes him difficult to predict and very interesting to watch.

the first thing that i thought of when i watched episode 6 was .i bet those disco running shirts end off plastered all over ebay in the next week. im still not buying the whole michael the traitor/convict still having free roam without repromand or consequences unless lorca has ulterior motives. i still think the series would have played out better if it was like section 31 secret command origins.

im still not sold on the new experimental twisty drive?

Random thoughts on recent episodes...

- From the last two episodes it looks like Lorca is going to be killed/arrested/replaced at some point. Surely with all the a**hole, incompetent, bullying and arguably evil things he has done, they aren't going to attempt to make us the audience, like him. He's irredeemable for me. Are they going to somehow bring things around to Michael being the new Captain? because I can't think who else it could be.

- Still love, love, love the new actor playing Sarek.

- I don't like Star Trek being at war at the expense of it being an exploration show. It makes it even worse when we are 6 episodes in and I feel like I haven't really seen anything of the war. Characters keep talking about Discovery like it's some kind of ultimate war cruiser, and it's the only thing keeping the federation alive but so far there has been no evidence of this. A classic case of telling and not showing.

- Michael continues to be intriguing. Tilly continues to be annoying as f**k. The rest of the crew continue to be patchy.

TM2YC said:
- From the last two episodes it looks like Lorca is going to be killed/arrested/replaced at some point. Surely with all the a**hole, incompetent, bullying and arguably evil things he has done, they aren't going to attempt to make us the audience, like him. He's irredeemable for me. Are they going to somehow bring things around to Michael being the new Captain? because I can't think who else it could be.

Maybe Saru?

Star trek disco shirt? Like this?
Hairy+Bones.jpg

disco-bones.jpg

disco-bones.jpg

If not, forget it.

By the mid-season break I've warmed to the characters somewhat. I felt they started to act more like proper Star Trek characters, heroic and selfless (especially Chief Engineer Stamets with what he put himself through). I'm not sure if this is because it's difficult not to care about characters you've watched for 9 episodes, or because they have actually been better written (Perhaps a little of both).

I've read some good things about Discovery and am about to catch up with the rest of the series. After the cinematic tone of the first two episodes it seemed to go in a "bleh" direction for me. But I've only heard positive things so I'm interested in checking up on it.

I've really been enjoying Discovery. Granted, it's not like previous Stsr Trek TV versions but that's what's sort of refreshing about it. I've always enjoyed continuous storylines more than episodic ones. The only small thing that bugged me in the fall season finale was how

Stamets is talking to Captain Lorca and seems fine, says he'll plug in for one final jump, then suddenly collapses during the jump. I just wish he would have seemed more tired or exhausted or something to accentuate he wasn't well.

I'm looking forward to it returning in 2018.

Q2 said:
The only small thing that bugged me in the fall season finale was how

Stamets is talking to Captain Lorca and seems fine, says he'll plug in for one final jump, then suddenly collapses during the jump. I just wish he would have seemed more tired or exhausted or something to accentuate he wasn't well.

Are we totally sure Stamets didn't do it on purpose? (for some reason, on some level). He's mentioned feeling like he's a different person sometimes. Mirror-Universe Stamets? Perhaps that's where Discovery has gone.

But then they could have alluded to it either by a look he gives or a small action. I think it could have been done just a little better.

Q2 said:
But then they could have alluded to it either by a look he gives or a small action. I think it could have been done just a little better.

I think they were throwing out hints of a mirror universe earlier in the episode when the captain and stemets are talking over the mapped drive jumps charts and stamets mentions that the pockets of negative mass could contain alternate universes and could be navigated with more jumps and later when he says to his partner that it was his last jump i knew they were going to be go down the route of having the crew stranded .

Hero said:
I've read some good things about Discovery and am about to catch up with the rest of the series. After the cinematic tone of the first two episodes it seemed to go in a "bleh" direction for me. But I've only heard positive things so I'm interested in checking up on it.

I was up and down on it throughout the first half of the season but I'm really into it at this point and can't wait for it to come back in January.

Back
Top Bottom