• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek Discovery

Are you gay or a woman?  Just wondering what the "laugh at ourselves" bit means.

TVs Frink said:
Are you gay or a woman?  Just wondering what the "laugh at ourselves" bit means.

By ourselves i meant the human race/species homoerectus/homosapien .

(Backs away peacefully.)

bionicbob said:
gazza said:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJwlVEzielk&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Looks like they are just going to ban the use ofthe word god.

This is not true.

Your link is to a Youtuber spouting speculation and doing armchair quarterbacking, dated August 1st.

My two links are interviews directly from the tv show producers, dated August  2nd and 7th.

Halfway through he reads the directors quote. im just posting a persons opinion not mine. Im pretty sure someone will have come up with some other opinion from the 8th onwards if i looked .

gazza said:
bionicbob said:
gazza said:

This is not true.

Your link is to a Youtuber spouting speculation and doing armchair quarterbacking, dated August 1st.

My two links are interviews directly from the tv show producers, dated August  2nd and 7th.

Halfway through he reads the directors quote. im just posting a persons opinion not mine. Im pretty sure someone will have come up with some other opinion from the 8th onwards if i looked .

No, based on how you worded your statement, you presented someone else's opinion as a fact.

I am presenting actual information directly from the production.  Did you bother to read the interview links?

bionicbob said:
gazza said:
bionicbob said:
gazza said:

This is not true.

No, based on how you worded your statement, you presented someone else's opinion as a fact.

I am presenting actual information directly from the production.  Did you bother to read the interview links?

This is Off topic but i recently watched your star trek edits and i loved them but my favourite cut was nemesis . Have you ever thought about doing the same editing magic on insurrection or first contact or generations?

gazza said:
bionicbob said:
Did you bother to read the interview links?

This is Off topic but i recently watched your star trek edits and i loved them but my favourite cut was nemesis . Have you ever thought about doing the same editing magic on insurrection or first contact or generations?

I think that's a "no" Bob.....

DigModiFicaTion said:
gazza said:
bionicbob said:
Did you bother to read the interview links?

I think that's a "no" Bob.....

yes i read it . i personally liked on the article when berg said "people believe in God, some people want to worship a potato, and some people don't want to believe in anything"
those words could be twisted into saying god is a potato. 

im sorry if i came across as giving a factual statement.sometimes i cant articulate what is in my head and what comes out of my mouth is differently worded.i have deleted accordingly.

No worries @gazza.   

I might be a little too over protective of the Trek franchise.   :p

In this age of instant on-demand "news", the slightest thing, no matter how silly or out of context, gets blown up into internet headlines without any real substance behind it or deeper fact checking.   Of all the different behind the scenes rumours regarding the production of Discovery (some of which I too have posted and expressed concern), the headline of no "god" allowed on the show never rang true to me and just felt like out of context sensationalism.   Star Trek at its core is about diversity, understanding and tolerance.  And based on the very little we actually know about the show, this seems to be on the surface, possibly the most progressive Trek series since the original.   Though intent and execution can be very different things.   I try not to let the negative speculation get to me.   I mean imagine if we had the internet back when TNG was being developed?  That show was in creative and production chaos for its first two seasons -- so imagine all negative focussed blogs, genre site news articles and youtube videos it would have generated?   It was bad enough that a large majority of TOS fans were up in arms at the idea of a Trek series not starring Kirk and Spock, but if the Net has existed too....?  The show might not have lasted to spawn seven entertaining seasons and three more spin-offs and movies.

I hope the show does well but i have my concers about the redesign of the klingons .

gazza said:

While I LOVE Star Trek as a whole, I am not a big enough, passionate fan of the NextGen movies to bothered editing them.  They are all fine, if  flawed, entertaining movies.   But Nemesis.... That movie made me angry.  It felt disrespectful to the characters and franchise.   And all the interviews with director Baird, who openly displayed distain for Trek, only fuelled my anger further.   So when the dvd was released with some great deleted character moments, I felt driven to try to create a more satisfying and deserving finale film for the heroic crew of the Enterprise.

gazza said:
I hope the show does well but i have my concers about the redesign of the klingons .

I can appreciate that.

I didn't really care for the new design when I first saw it either, but I am willing to give it a try.   The Klingons Look has continually evolved and changed over the decades.  The Klingons of TMP were a radical change from TOS and initially met much resistance from fans.  And every Trek series since has tweaked and fine tuned the Klingon design.

This new design seems to borrow heavily from the Kelvin Universe design, which I did not care for but worked within the context of the rebooted universe.

I remember in into darkness they said klingon homeworld was dying and in undicovered country they said klingons only had 50 years left so i suppose the colour change could be down to the cold weather or increased pollution as well as the costume choice

Klingon teaser.... its ok... why do the visuals make me think Game of Thrones...? LOL
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhSb-yundPM[/video]

I like this one, definitely feels relevant.... but imagine if they used some classic Jerry Goldsmith Trek themes instead... could have been epic! 
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EgBwPdHqac[/video]

bionicbob said:
Klingon teaser.... its ok... why do the visuals make me think Game of Thrones...? LOL
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhSb-yundPM[/video]

I like this one, definitely feels relevant.... but imagine if they used some classic Jerry Goldsmith Trek themes instead... could have been epic! 
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EgBwPdHqac[/video]

yeah i kept expecting them to say "winter is coming"

7 hours til the premiere here in Canuckland....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9E2olGqUlU[/video]

Not certain if this is the actual main titles or just promo material.... I like the imagery, but the more I hear the theme music, the more underwhelming it feels.  Sounds too much of an amalgam/homage of the TOS and nuTrek themes, rather than being BOLD and NEW and its own identity. 

Hhmmmm.... you can never fully please a Trek fan  :D  it's either not original enough or too different or something else...  :p lol

Watched the first two episodes, still processing it all and definitely need to watch again,
but my initial impression is I liked it.
I really liked it.

Do I agree with all the creative choices or is the direction I would have chosen to go?
No.  Probably not.

But does it feel like Star Trek?
Yes.  Yes, it does for me.

I won't go into any spoilers....

Visually it is very cinematic and truly gorgeous at times.
Though the editing is a bit chaotic and geography is occasionally confusing.
The episode soundtrack was epic and bold.

Sonequa Martin-Green is brilliant!  She is the center and star of this show, and pulls it off magnificently.
Also, loved Doug Jone's Lt. Saru, a great fresh original Trek character.

As I said I won't go into spoilers yet, but the first two episodes are really prequels to the main series proper, with the third episode introducing the starship Discovery and the main mission.   If you are Babylon 5 fan, the first two episodes are like IN THE BEGINNING, showing a historic event that will drive the remaining the series.

Is this series set in the Kelvin or Prime Universe?  Honestly, I think you can interpret it as either thus far.  The only Prime Universe indicator so far might be how they use Stardates,  as they use the same numbering system as the original series, instead of the actual year date as was in the Kelvin movies.

Based on the first two episodes, I am very intrigued and find myself excited for the third.  :)

bionicbob said:
Watched the first two episodes, still processing it all and definitely need to watch again,
but my initial impression is I liked it.
I really liked it.

Do I agree with all the creative choices or is the direction I would have chosen to go?
No.  Probably not.

But does it feel like Star Trek?
Yes.  Yes, it does for me.

I won't go into any spoilers....

Visually it is very cinematic and truly gorgeous at times.
Though the editing is a bit chaotic and geography is occasionally confusing.
The episode soundtrack was epic and bold.

Sonequa Martin-Green is brilliant!  She is the center and star of this show, and pulls it off magnificently.
Also, loved Doug Jone's Lt. Saru, a great fresh original Trek character.

As I said I won't go into spoilers yet, but the first two episodes are really prequels to the main series proper, with the third episode introducing the starship Discovery and the main mission.   If you are Babylon 5 fan, the first two episodes are like IN THE BEGINNING, showing a historic event that will drive the remaining the series.

Is this series set in the Kelvin or Prime Universe?  Honestly, I think you can interpret it as either thus far.  The only Prime Universe indicator so far might be how they use Stardates,  as they use the same numbering system as the original series, instead of the actual year date as was in the Kelvin movies.

Based on the first two episodes, I am very intrigued and find myself excited for the third.  :)

So do you think after the 13 episode run there will be enough fans or viewers to warrant a second season..also if you could compare it to other  star trek which star trek does it resemble the most?

The thing that's going to kill this series is it being limited to CBS All Access. I can't imagine many people subscribing to CBS.com just for this.

Back
Top Bottom