• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

So, what's your favorite Science Fiction book?

While we're here, is Philip K. Dick your favorite author?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
nOmArch... I didnt mean to offended you. Gibson did great work that from our perspective means less.....so I should say that i dont understand why Newton gets kudos ;). Gravity is obviousness!

Lewis...you shoud read Neuromancer and you will understand that he was prophet of future.....

voodl said:
nOmArch... I didnt mean to offended you. Gibson did great work that from our perspective means less.....so I should say that i dont understand why Newton gets kudos ;). Gravity is obviousness!

not in the slightest :) dude! sorry if i gave that intention.

i totally agree with you, in fact that was kinda the point i was trying to (and obviousely very badly) get across.

if i'd read it in between, say '85 - '90 it would have blown me away (probably like wargames, but much much more so) as it was i had already seen the matrix and read various other books and stories which dealt with cyberspace in some way, shape or form.

Einstein was talentless hack as well :wink:

cool, man :-D

he did blown me away..... ;) but I'm not so old you think I am......I'm only 31......;)

ooooh comic, be checkin' that out!

voodl said:
as pretty much all the ideas i had already seen before and imo were better done as well.

nOmArch, you should pay attention to release date.

W. Gibson is a father of cyberspace. He wrote about cyberspace when computers were hardly able to calculate some numbers and there were no graphics interfaces (like windows)..... he is real godfather of Matrix.....

I must interrupt and say that Philip K. Dick is undoubtedly the great grandfather of The Matrix if Gibson is the grandfather. He was dealing with the question of reality and "what is human?" far before this other book was written. The Wachowskis also specificly state his name as one of their major influences.

It's also reinforced by the fact that The Matrix isn't really focused on the idea of computers. They really seem to be more of a tool to get you to think about reality and question how its nature can truly be defined. Well, rather how to define it without taking the easy route and getting off the drugs.

GyRo567 is right. I must admit that idea of some kind of matrix (virtual world) first appears in "Ubik"..... Dick showed the door but Gibson entered....;)

The 'Dune' series is my favourite. Mind you, the first 6, as written by Frank Herbert, not that rubbish written by his son and Kevin J. Anderson. And 'The Stars My Destination' by Alfred Bester and 'John Carter of Mars' series by Edgar Rice Burroughs (he of Tarzan fame).

Kevin J. Anderson is also a favorite to hate in the Star Wars EU. Some authors just weren't destined for greatness.

oh.... and i really loved "Foundation" by Isaac Asimov. i think i read a sequel or 2 and they were good too.

HARI SELDON FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!

Hello everyone my first post: Frank Herbert DUNE of course, but God Emperor was the worst book I have read.

welcome, kaitain..... i guess from your name it isn't surprising that dune is your favorite ;) it's awesome, of course :)

have just recently gotten into "Saga of the Seven Suns" series by kevin j. anderson.
i've really enjoyed it. great sweeping space epic. am on book 3 - Horizon Storms.

i will have to check those out. i have enjoyed all of KJA's SW books

When I was younger I really loved all the Asimov books about the foundation and robots, I think I read all of them. Then I moved to Philip k Dick, Frank Herbert, Greg Bear and my favorite:
Larry Niven.
He wrote the ring world books and the Men - kzin wars series. Another great book by him is: a world out of time.
And if you're into AD&D then I recommend that you read the Dream Park books. They are amazing.
William Gibson is also great.
If we go more into fantasy then Michael Moorcock and his Elric books are great, I even have a comic version of them.

I think I read a few of his books. can't remember which anymore, the Library here in Helsinki has a pretty good collection of SciFi books.

I would love to see "Invincible" the movie, definitely!!!!!!!

did you see "the silent star"? german film made from Lem's novel "Astronauci". the original german version is great... don't even bother with the hacked up american version "first spaceship on venus". the original version has a great story, and amazing special effects for the time... 1962.

No....."Astronauci" is not best Lem's book but I have to see it anyway.....There is no dvd release I guess.....

Back
Top Bottom