• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

So, what's your favorite Science Fiction book?

While we're here, is Philip K. Dick your favorite author?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

GyRo567

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And let's keep this away from the pseudo-fantasy realm of things like the C.S. Lewis Space Trilogy (though that probably has enough psychology in it to qualify anyway) or Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker books.

I thought about putting favorite Philip K. Dick book, but then I realized that I might be the only rabid fan here...

In any case, A Scanner Darkly is my favorite book that fits into the realm of Science Fiction. I love the style, the overwhelming atmosphere. I love the way it makes you feel like you've burnt out your own brain on LSD by the end. I love the characters, and I like the way the seemingly pointless (and almost harmless) plot suddenly turns out to be a somewhat deadly ordeal. It's amazing. It's Philip K. Dick's masterpiece if you ask me.

well, sorry, but i'd say the first 2 books of the cs lewis space trilogy was my favorite scifi book(s).

my favorite scifi author would be Robert Heinlein, followed close by Ray Bradbury.

I'm reading William C Dietz right now. A book called "runner". Got it on a blind buy. - not my favorite, but good

Probably Excessions by Iain M. Banks, it's by far the best sci-fi book of his that I've read and his style is perfect in my opinion.

Heinlein would come a close second. With Time Enough for Love.

lewis886 said:
well, sorry, but i'd say the first 2 books of the cs lewis space trilogy was my favorite scifi book(s).

my favorite scifi author would be Robert Heinlein, followed close by Ray Bradbury.

Perelandra definitely ranks as a #1 overall in my three-way tie for "Favorite Book Ever" among it, A Scanner Darkly, and The Hobbit. It was a major mind trip almost as much as Scanner was. As for There and Back Again, it's really pretty hard to beat a bunch of thieves going off to rob a dragon. In Middle Earth.

The only Ray Bradbury book I've made my way to yet is Fahrenheit 451, but it ranks as the runner up to my perfect trifecta of favorite books. The ending was a little sudden for my liking, but unlike some, I don't not like it. I just feel it should have been explained more thoroughly. The chase was amazing though.

Stanislaw Lem, Philip K. Dick and Arthur C. Clarke - my masters!!!! :smile:

Favourite sf books:

"Invincible"
"Eden"
"Return from the stars"
....all Lem's

There are so many very good sf books from Strugacki brothers too.....worth reading :grin:

Oh, the usual...
Larry Niven: Ringworld, A Gift from earth, Neutron Star, Man-Kzin Wars.
Philip Jose Farmer: Riverworld Series, World of Tiers, A Feast Unknown.
Frank Herbert: All Dune.
Jerry Pournelle and LN: The Mote in God's Eyes, Lucifer's Hammer, Footfall
Julian May: The Many Colored Land. The Adversary.
Roger Zelazny: Lord of Light. Amber.
Harry Harrison: The Stainless Steel rat.
and many more...

Oh yes!!!! Frank Herbert rocks!!!!!...... I didnt read any books of Niven and Farmer. I must find if there are available in poland.

I defenitly dont like Zelazny and Harrison.....

btw Asimov is a good writer too, but not my favourite....

God Emperor of Dune is easily the most bad@$$ title ever.

......and lets not forget about Gibson, William Gibson......;)

am almost done with "the fall of hyperion".... turning out incredible.... it and the first hyperion book have been amazing. i've heard people have been disappointed with the next books... but the first 2 are incredible.

Sorry but Hitchhikers books rule! and Dune is superb, although heretics and chapterhouse are my favourite in the series.
also the armageddon trilogy by robert rankin is, put simply, exquisite insanity.

gets pysched up for all the flamage :)

can't understand why neuromancer gets all the kudos. i picked it up after it was recommended by a few friends. and i can honestly say i must have missed something or maybe i came to it too late. as pretty much all the ideas i had already seen before and imo were better done as well.

that and johnny mnumonic (no amount of fanediting could ever redeem that piece of trash) kinda put me off all his other books as well.

as pretty much all the ideas i had already seen before and imo were better done as well.

nOmArch, you should pay attention to release date.

W. Gibson is a father of cyberspace. He wrote about cyberspace when computers were hardly able to calculate some numbers and there were no graphics interfaces (like windows)..... he is real godfather of Matrix.....

sorry to be super-nerdy... but i didn't know that book so i looked up when it was released... i thought it was going to be in the 1960's or something from the way you were talking.... but that book didn't come out until 1984... the Xerox alto had a graphic user interface in 1973... and the apple lisa came out in 1983, and of course had a GUI.

sounds like a very interesting book though. i'll take a look at it.

agree lewis but tell me what computer you had in 1984?

voodl said:
as pretty much all the ideas i had already seen before and imo were better done as well.

nOmArch, you should pay attention to release date.

W. Gibson is a father of cyberspace. He wrote about cyberspace when computers were hardly able to calculate some numbers and there were no graphics interfaces (like windows)..... he is real godfather of Matrix.....

Voodl you should pay more attention to other peoples posts :)

i never said i bought the book when it came out, in fact i specifically stated in the OP that 'maybe i had come too late to the book'

i, in fact, read neuromancer in 1999 by which time cyberspace was not a new idea.

point taken.... as i said, i was being super nerdy ;)
we had a xerox computer.... black and green screen...
10 inch floppy discs ;)

Back
Top Bottom