• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Rogue One: Where Rebels Dare (TM2YC Fanfix) - Restructure/Less fanservice

I never had a problem with the Vader - Krennic scene but I reiterate what Moe said - Vader's voice seemed a bit off. This works so much better leaving the reveal until the Scarif battle. Great work as ever.

You're right about the volume, I'll dial it back some so it's more subtle but he does do the classic "huurr-puurr" breathing from the exact same spot in the original scene.

TM2YC said:
You're right about the volume, I'll dial it back some so it's more subtle but he does do the classic "huurr-puurr" breathing from the exact same spot in the original scene.

Interesting. I might have to put that scene on to check it out later. It didn’t stand out to me. Perhaps dialing back the volume will help.

TM2YC said:

Hmmm, well you'll have to excuse me while I go prepare my shoe...to eat...
[img=200x130]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/be/12/ba/be12ba7bf09e59548adc565046539825.gif[/img]
little-tramp-charlie-chaplin-eating-shoe-animated-gif.gif

Okay I checked out the scene. The breathing is much more subtle and there’s a slight gurgle to it. I think my issue with the clip above is that it is too in your face. I don’t think you necessarily have to add any gurgle, but I’d dial it way back in the mix.

I concur with the breathing being a bit too loud as well. That aside, excellent work.

Canon Editor said:
I believe you could add a bit more “oomph” sound to the opening doors of the Vader bacta tanka scene

Some more oomph has now been added, thanks.

Moe_Syzlak said:
Okay I checked out the scene. The breathing is much more subtle and there’s a slight gurgle to it.

I already had gurgling sounds in there but you couldn't hear them because the breathing was too damn loud.

Here is a new version of the Vader scene with the audio remixed:

(Password: fanedit.org)

- Score remixed in several places
- Extra door soundFX added on the cut to the Vader minion
- Vader breathing volume halved

This is sounding 100% to me now :) , the last version I was only 90-95% happy so sometimes you've got to get some feedback to find out why. Thanks all.

Hm... I personally suspect it'd be best to cut away from the scene just as Vader's body starts to come into view, at the end of his first shot (00:33), and save the Imperial March cue for a more active, suited moment. Just my $.02. ;)

I always thought a good idea for where to add a subtle hint of the imperial march would be the shot of the Rebel troopers all looking into the darkness as it slowly zooms closer and closer until Vader ignites his saber.

The cue would be something very similar to what is heard as Vader's mask is secured on his head in episode 3.

I love seeing the Death Star right at the start! Yes, this is a Rebel story. But it's equally about the 600-pound gorilla of scary weapons. We're going to be fighting (over) the Death Star, so we may as well get its reveal early on. It also helps me care about Jin and the others from the start: we need you to survive to fight this thing later on.

The opposite, delaying Vader's reveal, is also a wonderful improvement. It gives Tarkin and his Death Star more screen time to shine as the biggest baddies, before Vader commands the limelight.

One small transition detail: the establishing shot of the Rebel base, after Vader's bacta tank, feels short. I'm wow-ed by Vader's entrance and while I'm still processing that, this shot comes and goes. Perhaps a few more frames on the exterior of the base (and fewer on the Rebel listening to headphones).

Gaith said:
I personally suspect it'd be best to cut away from the scene just as Vader's body starts to come into view

I think the scene would be getting too short then and feel fanedited.

darthrush said:
I always thought a good idea for where to add a subtle hint of the imperial march would be the shot of the Rebel troopers all looking into the darkness as it slowly zooms closer and closer until Vader ignites his saber.

The cue would be something very similar to what is heard as Vader's mask is secured on his head in episode 3.

I'll consider it when I get to that scene. Maybe something real subtle, slow and low before we see Vader. Just a hint. Then again would that spoil the surprise for new viewers? I always like to approach edits not assuming people have seen it before.

lapis molari said:
One small transition detail: the establishing shot of the Rebel base, after Vader's bacta tank, feels short. I'm wow-ed by Vader's entrance and while I'm still processing that, this shot comes and goes. Perhaps a few more frames on the exterior of the base (and fewer on the Rebel listening to headphones).

I haven't shortened it from what it was in the original cut (of course I've used it in a different context though). This is probably the 5th or 6th time we've cut to the Yavin base, so by this point in the film it's established very well. Given that, I think it'll play just fine. I did actually consider cutting that shot as it's kind of redundant because this is the second time we've cut to the radio operators, so the audience knows who they are and where they are by this point... but I kept it in for the same reason you think it should be longer.

I think quiet a few people (me included) thought the Threepio and R2 cameo on Yavin was a bit too much. It's very "in your face" with Anthony Daniels shouting "Scarif!... Scarif?!?" at the camera. So I've remade the audio for that shot in order to silence Threepio (R2 can still be heard beeping to himself) so they are just passive observers.

- Replaced all soundFX for the shot of R2 and Threepio
- Replaced score synced into the original music timing

Youtube upload of the original scene for comparison:

Hm, 3PO's head-bobbing really looks as though he's saying something. I'd advise substituting the line, or shortening the shot to where he's facing away from the camera. ;)

(That said, I can't say as I had an issue with the line as is.)

Gaith said:
Hm, 3PO's head-bobbing really looks as though he's saying something. I'd advise substituting the line

How about this?

Gaith said:
or shortening the shot to where he's facing away from the camera.

Worth a try but I'll look around for some other Daniels dialogue that I prefer. He's done a plenty of Threepio voice-over work for games and stuff over the years. Suggestions are welcome.

Worth a try but I'll look around for some other Daniels dialogue that I prefer. He's done a plenty of Threepio voice-over work for games and stuff over the years. Suggestions are welcome.

For a reference to characters during the R1 time period, check C-3PO's lines in SW Rebels s1e3 'Droids in Distress'.
For a funnier insert, check the Muppet Show episode starring Mark Hamill. [I just watched those again and didn't find a useful line, instead look at:]
SW Lego Droid Tales episodes 1, 2, or 3. Anthony Daniels narrates a recap of the prequels plus his appearance in Rebels.

I found nothing useful in the audio books.

^ Thanks for the tip. I've not found anything so far in those DID videos.  Something like "I don't know what all this fuss is about but I'm sure it must be your fault" would be perfect but I'm reluctant to reuse lines.

Help needed from people with good ears who know music. I can't figure out where in the score this little cue is located (after Jyn hands K the blaster):

Maybe it's not on the CD? Something very similar that'd blend in well from another Giacchino score would do in a pinch. Or the same piece of music in a different arrangement at a different point in the R1 score perhaps. Or even a similar piece from the R1 score that uses the same instruments. I need to blend something in after the last line from Cassian to carry over into the next scene, just a few seconds.

^ I've been listening to Super 8 soundtrack, which is Giacchino, and the sort of Williams vibe. Something there may help. It is on Spotify if you want to listen before committing.

I sourced the "come along you two" line for HttF from this Oscars cameo. Maybe something you could use here.

DSM2337 said:
^ I've been listening to Super 8 soundtrack, which is Giacchino, and the sort of Williams vibe. Something there may help. It is on Spotify if you want to listen before committing.

I'll investigate, thanks.

DigModiFicaTion said:
I sourced the "come along you two" line for HttF from this Oscars cameo. Maybe something you could use here.

Thanks. That clip gave me another avenue to search down, Daniels cameos at awards shows, charity events and such like. I considered using the "Oh my" bit he says about John Williams until I eventually found this older Oscar's cameo...

...which has many clean Threepio lines and clean R2 beeps too. I cut a few bits up, to have them talk to each other and I'm very pleased with the result. It's almost like they just happen to be standing in that shot bickering as per usual, plus R2 is as excited as we the audience are by all the X-Wings:

While searching, I also found this old UK TV appearance with loads of clean Threepio dialogue:

I think it's from a recent push by the BBC to rescan in HD and upload old SW related stuff from the archives. Great lines, especially the "Stupid bucket!" one but it's mostly based around him not being able to find R2, so wasn't much use to me.

Back
Top Bottom