• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Rogue One: Where Rebels Dare (TM2YC Fanfix) - Restructure/Less fanservice

darthrush said:
I like the idea of cutting him on Mustafar

he-had-the-high-ground-o.gif

i have two differing feelings about the vader hallway scene scene and the audience's reaction to that scene.

the misplaced cheering was pretty dumb. but seeing vader being a threat made the stakes higher for the last rebel in the hallway and for the rebellion itself.

darthrush said:
You can add me as a vote to keeping the last scene of Vader.

I like the idea of cutting him on Mustafar but am curious about your idea of still keeping his castle and the bacta tank shot. What would your rough idea of keeping it be?

"Rough idea" is right at this stage but... doesn't Tarkin say something like "Summon/Contact/Notify Lord Vader" at one point and we could cut to the underling waking Vader up and a little Imperial March but we don't see him again until the end.

The scene of the other Rebels in Saw's prison with Bodhi was obviously split into two in the original cut. A neat idea but placing the second half after the Death Star turns up and is preparing to fire seems ill judged. Once a ticking-clock-threat has started you shouldn't be cutting back to dialogue scenes that could have been dealt with earlier.

So I've joined the second half back onto the first (before Jyn meets Saw):

(Password: fanedit.org)

- Removed a few shots of the prison to blend the two parts back in
- Rescored two parts of the scene
- Added quiet a bit of new soundFX

TM2YC said:
The Scribbling Man said:
darksteel1335 said:
So much care was taken with Vader. You’re really going to obliterate him from the film entirely?

"Entirely" seems exaggerated. There's the whole Vader slaughter at the end, isn't there? For me that was the best bit... I'm assuming that's being kept, but I might be wrong...

You are indeed wrong :D that'll likely be going too (although I'm less decided on that one, than on the awful and redundant scene with Krennic).

R1's Director gives a good reason why the scene should not be there at the start of this video...

(If Edwards had anything to do with the Vader/Krennic scene is unclear)

Actually, as cool as the scene is, it does create an inconsistency in Vader’s power set and fighting abilities between RO and ANH. So removing it would make his character more consistent.

I watched a test render of the restructured first 30-mins and I think it works nicely. I'm also up to the half-way mark on the edit.

Here is the latest new wipe with the Rebels arriving on Eadu (originally a brief scene of Krennic played here but I moved it to an earlier spot):

- Remixed music
- Added wipe
- Flipped approach shots of Eadu to put the ship on the opposite side of the screen to Jyn's face
- Adjusted the camera move to track the ship and keep pace with the wipe

I wanted to experiment with adding the sound of the Rebel ship exploding out of hyperspace. It probably won't work but I'd just like to eliminate the possibility, only I cannot find a clean sound of a Star Wars ship suddenly exiting hyperspace. Anybody know where a sound like this can be found?

Visually it looked great having the u-wing push the wipe along, but it seems odd to wipe to the same narrative storyline to me.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Visually it looked great having the u-wing push the wipe along, but it seems odd to wipe to the same narrative storyline to me.

To wipe, or not to wipe, that is the question :D .It is something I'm giving thought to.

Classic Star Wars wipes aren't just used for switches in narrative and/or location, they are used to denote medium/large jumps in time. e.g. the 2nd wipe (If I'm not mistaken) used in SW77 is Threepio to later-Threepio (in same location). There are other Luke to later-Luke (in same location) wipes etc. At other times, large shifts in location are done with a hardcut to suggest zero passage of time between the two events.

As the edited sequence above moves from Rebels-in-Hyperspace to later-Rebels-no-longer-in-hyperspace (at their destination), I thought it warranted a wipe.

All true. Those wipes listed are ones that I don't particularly care for in the OT, but your logic is sound :)

Having the ship move the wipe along is a really neat trick. Has it ever happened in any of the original films before? I'm not too wipe-savy despite my love for them :)

Oh, that's some impressive work. I like the transition, it works, and also like the others have stated, the U-Wing pushing the wipe is some great job. :)

Zarius said:
Having the ship move the wipe along is a really neat trick. Has it ever happened in any of the original films before?

I'm sure it must have. There are definitely plenty where the wipe moves in the same general direction as a spaceship.

A couple more test clips.

From the first time I saw R1 I felt the Rebel X-Wings arrive on Eadu far too fast. We don't need to know the exact distances between planets (it's only SW not ST) but the time it takes them to get from Yavin to Eadu seems crazy short. So I've removed them taking off from this sequence...

- Rebuilt most of the soundFX to hide the removal
- Trimmed one shot

...and bolted it on to the earlier scene of the launch being ordered...

- New iris-wipe
- Added more static to further blend the sound of the crash into the sound of the radio
- Added soundFX

...so this way, the launch happens two-minutes earlier in the movie and a new wipe suggests a greater passage of time. It's still a short travel time but not quite as bad.

btw, I just noticed that in R1 Cassian angrily says "I've been in this fight since I was 6-years old!" to Jyn. Since Diego Luna was about 36-years old when R1 was shot, that means the Empire has been in control of the Galaxy for a minimum of 30-years. Was this Gareth Edwards crafty way to de-canonise the PT (if you consider them canon) and re-allign events with the sane OT timeline. Naturally, Wookieepedia has Cassian as 26-years old to make his character as old as possible, while still making the ludicrous PT timeline lineup with R1. Wow the Rebellion has sure aged Cassian!  :D  (Not as badly as Ben, Owen, Beru and Anakin).

Great, didn't notice anything amiss, ffrom what was described I assumed the crash-into-static transition would have been louder, but the switch is quite brief. Love that the music comes to a climax as the wipe closes it's effect, than can often be tricky to pull off but you timed it wonderfully :)

TM2YC said:
btw, I just noticed that in R1 Cassian angrily says "I've been in this fight since I was 6-years old!" to Jyn. Since Diego Luna was about 36-years old when R1 was shot, that means the Empire has been in control of the Galaxy for a minimum of 30-years. Was this Gareth Edwards crafty way to de-canonise the PT (if you consider them canon) and re-allign events with the sane OT timeline. Naturally, Wookieepedia has Cassian as 26-years old to make his character as old as possible, while still making the ludicrous PT timeline lineup with R1. Wow the Rebellion has sure aged Cassian!  :D  (Not as badly as Ben, Owen, Beru and Anakin).

Jyn is also supposed to be 21, even though Felicity Jones was 32.

This is a recurring problem in Star Wars. If you do the math, Luke is 53 in The Last Jedi, even though Mark Hamill was 65 when the film was shot.

Well maybe all that traveling at the speed of light has an effect on aging.  :p

yes, I know the effect would likely be the opposite.

Zarius said:
Having the ship move the wipe along is a really neat trick. Has it ever happened in any of the original films before? I'm not too wipe-savy despite my love for them :)

Found this:

There is a Tie at 00.33 at least.

DominicCobb said:
This is a recurring problem in Star Wars. If you do the math, Luke is 53 in The Last Jedi, even though Mark Hamill was 65 when the film was shot.

Are there specific dates/time-gaps mentioned in the ST, I forget?

TM2YC said:
DominicCobb said:

Are there specific dates/time-gaps mentioned in the ST, I forget?

In the films themselves? No, besides 0 time in between TFA and TLJ. But canon-wise, the ST is supposed to be 30 years after ROTJ. If you want to fudge the numbers in your mind I guess there's nothing stopping you there (or in ROTJ, for that matter, where Hamill is 31 playing 23).

DominicCobb said:
In the films themselves? No, besides 0 time in between TFA and TLJ. But canon-wise, the ST is supposed to be 30 years after ROTJ. If you want to fudge the numbers in your mind I guess there's nothing stopping you there (or in ROTJ, for that matter, where Hamill is 31 playing 23).

That's the thing, I don't think the PT or the OT mention specific timescales either but having Luke & Leia born at the end of ROTS fixes the time-frame stupidity in place. Where as we can just imagine when Kylo and Rey were born (regardless of what the official EU dates are).

For a while I was cutting up the Rebel Council meeting in all kinds of ways but then I realised that simply chopping the first 30-seconds out and starting on "If she's telling the truth, we need to act now!" made it work for me. All the supposed Rebel leaders saying...

r4gUzKH0.jpeg

...to each other for half a minute made them look defeatist to a silly extreme. Now we are immediately presented with a 50/50 debate and credible arguments for not acting. Here is how the scene begins now and this clip also shows the removal of the Vader/Krennic scene (First 30-seconds unchanged, just there for context).

- Deleted whole Vader/Krennic scene and first 30-seconds of meeting
- Rescored
- Replaced many, many soundFX
- Added wipe

Back
Top Bottom