• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Rogue One: The Battle of Scarif

Thanks for the clarification addiesin! It's entirely possible that I clicked on "Preview Post" instead of "Post Reply" and then closed my browser, lol.

Here's another clip I've been working on. I've edited part of the AT-AT assault and X-wing attack on the shield gate to a couple of music pieces from Empire Strikes Back. It's surprising how close these are matching up...I'm almost certain they used John Williams as the temp score when editing.

Have you thought about using some of the EU soundtracks? They are very Williamsy without using cues that are iconic to other scenes.

I did consider that, especially the excellent music from the KOTOR games. However, considering the shorter length of this fanedit (45-50 min), I've been able to hit the right mood using Williams and Giacchino.

Here is the custom opening text crawl! Since this fanedit only focuses on the immediate events leading to the Battle of Scarif, I’ve used the crawl to summarize the first two-thirds of Rogue One’s plot. Enjoy!

eldusto84 said:
Here is the custom opening text crawl! Since this fanedit only focuses on the immediate events leading to the Battle of Scarif, I’ve used the crawl to summarize the first two-thirds of Rogue One’s plot. Enjoy!

Dude, that is frakking amazing.

I love the crawl, but I don't think you need to say evil in evil Empire, you have already told us that b the destruction bit in the first sentence.

eldusto84 said:
Very cool, here it is then :)

This is so much better! Loving the updated score.

Are teh post crawl planets from you?

revel911 said:

Yes, I created that VFX shot by taking the Mustafar system from Episode III, reversing it and color correcting. Added my own starfield. Then I took Krennic's shuttle flyby from the opening of Rogue One and masked it out, then composited it on top the Mustafar plate. Voila, brand new effects shot :D

Q7V983H.png

1. Any way to separate the planet from the moon, so you can parallax them?
2. The fly pattern seems slightly off, is the speed scaled to go a bit slower as it is farther away.

They are in fact separated and there is a subtle parallax, but if you think it needs more separation I can work on that. The fly pattern for the shuttle can't really be altered, since I only have the finished film footage to work with!

eldusto84 said:
revel911 said:

Yes, I created that VFX shot by taking the Mustafar system from Episode III, reversing it and color correcting. Added my own starfield. Then I took Krennic's shuttle flyby from the opening of Rogue One and masked it out, then composited it on top the Mustafar plate. Voila, brand new effects shot :D

Q7V983H.png

Very well done! looks awesome

It looks very good to me and near perfect. I've done a few shots similar to this myself combing different 2D elements to make the illusion of a new 3D sequence. It's bloody hard to get just right.

One thing I did notice was that the big planet moves down at a slightly different rate to the starfield, when I think it's far enough away and massive enough that it should appear virtually static/synced (in relation to the background's movement). The small planet on the other hand could stand to move a tiny bit more, just enough so it registers to the eye as being in a different plane to the backdrop. You could also add a very slow zoom in so it appears to get closer and a slight rotation. Very subtle with those last two but it adds to the illusion of 3D movement.

TM2YC said:
It looks very good to me and near perfect. I've done a few shots similar to this myself combing different 2D elements to make the illusion of a new 3D sequence. It's bloody hard to get just right.

One thing I did notice was that the big planet moves down at a slightly different rate to the starfield, when I think it's far enough away and massive enough that it should appear virtually static/synced (in relation to the background's movement). The small planet on the other hand could stand to move a tiny bit more, just enough so it registers to the eye as being in a different plane to the backdrop. You could also add a very slow zoom in so it appears to get closer and a slight rotation. Very subtle with those last two but it adds to the illusion of 3D movement.

I think both of those suggestions would do some wonders to the shot.

These are good suggestions, thanks! I will go back and play around some more with the shot.

eldusto84 said:
These are good suggestions, thanks! I will go back and play around some more with the shot.

Sounds great! What you did with the planet is beyond my understanding at all ;)

But really, some of you faneditors just are so damn talented that it will still consistently amaze me.

Alright, I have an official trailer for the Battle of Scarif now. I thought it would be cool to incorporate the animation of the Death Star plans into the trailer. Since this is a fanedit, I figured I should use the trailer to describe some of the changes I'm making to the film. So here you go!

Very nice trailer!  Simple, yet effective.  The first part especially got me.

eldusto84 said:
Alright, I have an official trailer for the Battle of Scarif now. I thought it would be cool to incorporate the animation of the Death Star plans into the trailer. Since this is a fanedit, I figured I should use the trailer to describe some of the changes I'm making to the film. So here you go!

Wonderful trailer!

Back
Top Bottom