• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Rogue One: The Battle of Scarif

Putting the words "Official Trailer" on it like that seems like a bad idea. Because it's not official. It's fan-made. Careful not to paint a target on your back with Disney.

:-/

addiesin said:
Putting the words "Official Trailer" on it like that seems like a bad idea. Because it's not official. It's fan-made. Careful not to paint a target on your back with Disney.

:-/

Yeah, good call. I took "Official" out of the title. I'll change the thumbnail later today too. The old Lucasfilm was more forgiving with fanedits and fanfilms...I'm not sure how things have been since the Disney regime took over.

eldusto84 said:
Yeah, good call. I took "Official" out of the title. I'll change the thumbnail later today too. The old Lucasfilm was more forgiving with fanedits and fanfilms...I'm not sure how things have been since the Disney regime took over.

Fan Films definitely. Fanedits less so. We received C&D letters in years past from fan projects that appeared to be too close to or confused with an actual Lucasfilm release. It's just best practice to make the distinction as clear as possible (fanedit vs. official Star Wars release).

Here's a poster I've been working on for this fanedit. Keeping in step with my trailer, which featured the animated Death Star plans, I decided to incorporate screenshots of the plans in this poster.

UtNvdfR.jpg

It's May 4, and that means that Rogue One: The Battle of Scarif is now complete!

It's just under 50 minutes long, making it a nice little companion piece to the original theatrical release. Alternatively, you could watch this right before A New Hope! Again, the main point of this edit is to focus on the epic battle sequence from Rogue One, while also adding elements to make it fit in more with the other Star Wars films. This means, among other things:

• An opening text crawl, which summarizes the events of Rogue One leading up to the battle of Scarif.
  • Insertion of several music cues from John Williams. About 50-60% of the film's score is now comprised of classic Star Wars cues.
  • Classic Star Wars sound effects added in certain places, along with a few old-school wipe transitions.
  • Other cuts and adjustments to scenes throughout the battle, either to fit the new music cues or to pace the film a bit differently. For example, there isn't as much back-and-forth cutting between all the different characters anymore. This may have originally been to make the film seem more exciting, but it also made it difficult to follow the action at times.
  • The film ends exactly as it did in the original version, making it a perfect segue into A New Hope.
If you're interested in checking it out, let me know :)

eldusto84 said:
It's May 4, and that means that Rogue One: The Battle of Scarif is now complete!

It's just under 50 minutes long, making it a nice little companion piece to the original theatrical release. Alternatively, you could watch this right before A New Hope! Again, the main point of this edit is to focus on the epic battle sequence from Rogue One, while also adding elements to make it fit in more with the other Star Wars films. This means, among other things:

• An opening text crawl, which summarizes the events of Rogue One leading up to the battle of Scarif.
  • Insertion of several music cues from John Williams. About 50-60% of the film's score is now comprised of classic Star Wars cues.
  • Classic Star Wars sound effects added in certain places, along with a few old-school wipe transitions.
  • Other cuts and adjustments to scenes throughout the battle, either to fit the new music cues or to pace the film a bit differently. For example, there isn't as much back-and-forth cutting between all the different characters anymore. This may have originally been to make the film seem more exciting, but it also made it difficult to follow the action at times.
  • The film ends exactly as it did in the original version, making it a perfect segue into A New Hope.
If you're interested in checking it out, let me know :)

I really enjoyed this edit - thought everything was great - one thing I found a bit jarring was the change to Vader's dialogue. Although eliminating the pun DID help, the difference in intonation and effects on Vader's voice between the 2 sources was VERY distracting... it sounded too much like a blatant dub. I really thought it was such a great way to start the movie with that scene, especially with the new FX shot, but that distraction just took me out of the movie for a second. I'd almost like to see either the original dialogue reinstated or the audio reworked to match. Other than that scene, I really enjoyed this edit!

Thanks, and I agree the Vader dubbing isn't perfect. I did a good deal of audio work to it, but it's still difficult to mask the fact that James Earl Jones' voice has changed over the past 30-40 years. His original line mentioned Galen Erso, which is why I dubbed it over (Galen isn't mentioned at all in this edit).

eldusto84 said:
Thanks, and I agree the Vader dubbing isn't perfect. I did a good deal of audio work to it, but it's still difficult to mask the fact that James Earl Jones' voice has changed over the past 30-40 years. His original line mentioned Galen Erso, which is why I dubbed it over (Galen isn't mentioned at all in this edit).

Just as a constructive thought, did you consider using dialogue from SW Rebels to create new dialogue that may fit better? The end result may be closer since it is more recent work by JEJ.

I thought about it, but his voice seems even more off in that show. Like they over-modulated it to cover up his aging timbre. I dunno. I may try to revise the dubbing work in that scene but I'm not sure it will completely match up.

eldusto84 said:
I thought about it, but his voice seems even more off in that show. Like they over-modulated it to cover up his aging timbre. I dunno. I may try to revise the dubbing work in that scene but I'm not sure it will completely match up.

I threw together this mockup just to give an idea of what i mean (minus the clicks of course), but it has some rearranged dialogue and one line from Rebels. Just a thought...

Just saw this, it was really cool. The only couple of things that kinda took me out was how the new music can drown everything else which is understandable considering you had to rebuild the soundtrack a lot. But honestly there were also pieces of music that didn't quite fit with the tone of the film, particularly Chirrut's death. Besides that, the only other thing was also Vader's voice and how it switch from RO Vader to OT sounding Vader. What I would suggest is instead of trying to make OT Vader sound more like his RO version, make the RO version sound like OT. I think that would help to smooth it out. 

But overall, it was very cool and a nice companion piece/prologue to A New Hope.

I love Rogue One almost completely as it is but I still love this idea and will be following it and watching it!

eldusto84 said:
Hi everyone! I’m the editor of the Maple Films version of the Hobbit (JRR Tolkien’s The Hobbit). For my second fanedit, I’ve decided to make a version of Rogue One that revolves entirely around the Battle of Scarif. This was the most exciting sequence in the film by far, and I feel would make for an exciting short film.

HJgQdYC.jpg

In order to make The Battle of Scarif stand on its own (meaning you wouldn’t necessarily need to see all of Rogue One to understand what happens in this cut), I’m making the following edits and adjustments:

• Insertion of an opening crawl (of course!). It will summarize the events that occur during the course of Rogue One that lead to the Scarif battle.
  • First scene of the film is the confrontation between Krennic and Darth Vader, with some adjusted dialogue for Vader.
  • The Rebels will still bicker over going to war, but this stuff will be trimmed. As will Cassian’s super long monologue about the Rebellion.
  • I never found myself that invested in Rogue One’s characters to begin with, so a number of “character” scenes and lines will be adjusted. The main focus of the edit will be the battle itself and the actual recovery of the Death Star plans.
  • Insertion of classic Star Wars music cues from John Williams. I’ve been going through the entire saga OST and will be dropping tracks where appropriate. Most people have agreed that Giacchino’s score just didn’t cut it. Not that I totally blame him; apparently he had 3-4 weeks to write and conduct everything.
  • Various SFX enhancements. This is big. Because I’m adding new music cues throughout the film, this means that I have to remove some of Giacchino’s cues. Unfortunately the music sometimes bleeds across the 5.1 audio channels with the sound effects, meaning that I’ve had to rebuild the sound design for entire scenes where John Williams’ music is now. This has been by far the most time-consuming part of the edit, but thankfully there are some really great Star Wars SFX libraries online that I’ve been able to use for this.
  • A light sprinkling of those old-school wipes and transitions from the other Star Wars films. Why not?
  • The film ends with Vader slicing and dicing Rebel scum, and watching as the Tantive IV flies away. Leia’s scene has been cut.
  • With credits and everything, the runtime of the edit will be around 45-50 minutes.
So there you go. If you’re in the mood to watch Rogue One but would rather skip the attempts at character development and Forest Whitaker’s pet tentacle monster, pull up Rogue One: The Battle of Scarif and jump straight to the ‘splosions. As with my Hobbit fanedit, The Battle of Scarif will be edited in HD with 5.1 surround sound to ensure the highest possible audio/visual quality. I’ve been working off the digital copy up to now, but will purchase the Bluray on April 4 and link my edits to that source instead.

Wow!  This looks like terrific fun.  The latter part of Rogue One is certainly the most entertaining, likely doubly so with Williams' score.  I'm stunned with the new VFX shot.  Congrats on the publicity to boot!

when Vader's lines are ironed out in the intro scene (fingers crossed for a 2.0 version), this will be my go-to Rogue One edit for sure.. awesome edit.

eldusto84 said:
Alright, I have an official trailer for the Battle of Scarif now. I thought it would be cool to incorporate the animation of the Death Star plans into the trailer. Since this is a fanedit, I figured I should use the trailer to describe some of the changes I'm making to the film. So here you go!

Even if this was the worse fan-edit ever, I'd still watch it for the wipe transitions...
(but legit, this looks great)

Back
Top Bottom