• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

RoboCop Reboot

I watched the trailer and went *yaaaaawn*.
Oh dear.
That's not the reaction they were looking for, I presume?
This is in the "unlikely to be good" category, unfortunately.

Taking my lady out for some Valentines Day action bullshit robo'n.
This should be a mess. Expectation set to 'minimal'.

will report my findings at the next OCP shareholders meeting.

Don't want to go but my friends are insisting. We'll see what happens.

Saw this yesterday and actually enjoyed it. Totally different film to the original, and some nice ideas that weren't explored in the first trilogy. Yes, it has that generic, clean pg13 thing going on, but there's still some grit and weightiness to be found within. Gary Oldman is as good as ever, and it was great to see Michael Keaton having some fun again. Overall, this was a lot better than I expected it to be and was a fun day out at the movies.

3.5/5

My thoughts echo yours njvc. I was pleasantly surprised to see that A. It didnt suck, B. didnt try to compete w/ the original [the plot focused on all the parts of the originals that we DIDNT see] C. It didnt recycle what what was seen in the originals for an easy remake and D. The actors didnt phone it in.

While I wasn't swayed in either direction by Joel Kinneman, Gary Oldman and Sam Jackson killed it. Both delivering top notch performances and its their work that really made this film not crumble under its own weight. Keaton did a solid job but didnt really stand out like Ronny Cox or Dan O'Herlihy did in the originals - but its really unfair to compare this new robo to the original - especially if you are a huge fan, as I am. Theres no doubt about it - the original is still the only true robocop.

But, oddly enough - this new roboboot was pretty good, it only looks crappy if you compare it to the superior original. I know that sounds kind of stupid but if this was the first time I had ever seen the robocop character I would have loved this film. Its only the fact that I grew up on the original that was so much better and [for its time] original, that it casts a big shadow over this new effort.

A few minor nitpicks - the score was very neutered. There were hints of the original Poledouris theme present but they were very minimal and the new score never once made my hairs stand up like the original still does with its powerhouse bombastic overtures.

Some of the CGIness was a bit too much for me in the final battle but it never looked bad. I just dont care for it.

Overall, I enjoyed this movie and think, while a new robocop is still unnecessary - if your going to do it anyway I'm glad they did it right - err, less wrong... than it could have been.

7/10 worth watching.

Oh, and I was pleased that they didnt tack on a setup for a sequel., Like the original this one ends w/ all loose ends tied up - even though I'm sure if it makes enough $ we'll see part 2 next year.

Did seeing the remake inspire you to go back and finish up your Robocop 2 edit [MENTION=6547]elbarto1[/MENTION] ? :p

Well, I saw this and I have to say it was much better than I expected. Though not as good as it could have been.

I also agree with pretty much everything that njvc and elbarto said.

Overall, very enjoyable, I'd say if you're on the fence about seeing it, just go.

Finally had a chance to see it. It's not as bad as, say, the Total Recall remake. But that isn't saying much. There are moments where the film mimics the satirical style of the original, and even manages to have a few halfway clever ideas. But it's just so soulless, so sanitized. Sure, they didn't emulate the original from beginning to end, but their replacement characters and scenarios are just so hollow. Relating the story to the modern drone debate was a good intention, but it didn't go anywhere. This version of Murphy is unambiguously human. He never died. He still has his memories, and his emotional loss was enforced, not a side effect of his condition. He's really less of a Robocop and more of a... advanced prosthesis cop. The analogy doesn't work. It isn't really trying to say anything, as far as I can tell. I want to say that it was at least better than Robocop 3, but... Robocop 3 still managed to induce an emotional response from me a handful of times.

Also, what was with that part when Lewis quipped, "at least you're the right color now." What? So... he previously had issues with Murphy's race? I don't... I don't get it.

matrixgrindhouse said:
Also, what was with that part when Lewis quipped, "at least you're the right color now." What? So... he previously had issues with Murphy's race? I don't... I don't get it.

Just an innocent racial jab, nothing to get bent out of shape about. No different/harmful than "once you go black, you never go back." It was just a fun little joke.

I had been thinking about how to make this film better, but really I can't think of anything that I would cut. The problem with it was what was missing. So I think an extended edition would be in order. I looked it up, the director said there'll be deleted scenes on the DVD/Blu-ray. So fingers crossed those are actually helpful to the movie. This movie's actually really cool, and I'd like to like it more than I do.

But even if the scenes are no good, at least it'll still be (in my eyes) the only good Robocop besides the original.

[MENTION=24867]kult38[/MENTION], that looks awesome and hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

Saw this the other day..... bland.

I liked the exploration of the family aspect, and the updated robo suit and bike were nice, but otherwise this was just plain "meh".

The old tv show was better than this movie.....

Often toyed with the idea of doing a fan edit base on the show....

Back
Top Bottom