• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Prometheus - Special Edition - an Agent 9 Fanedit

Well, that was awesome! IFDB review:

I like the theatrical cut of Prometheus just fine, but I like this one a whole lot more. Agent 9 has made some fantastic choices on when/how to cut a bunch of these scenes to mitigate the glaring flaws in the film's muddled and occasionally illogical and even lazy script. Most of them work flawlessly. I did feel like Fifield and Millburn got cheated out of their characters a bit in this version, having most of their lines cut. Granted, much of their dialogue wasn't that great to begin with, but now I have no idea who these people are, really. At the very least, the scene where they break from the rest of the exploratory party seemed needlessly truncated, with Fifield saying "I'm out of here" and taking Millburn along without a word from either him or the rest of the team. Many of the other characters benefit from added depth and more clearly-defined motivations though, thanks to some wisely reincorporated deleted footage.
There is some stunning editing on display here, major things like rearranging scenes for better flow, as well as really subtle stuff like touching up unfinished SFX and adding sound cues to enhance atmosphere and cover edits. The color correction, likewise, is gorgeous. Mostly, I was on board with the extra music, although the selection does lean pretty hard on the original Alien theme and the volume is overwhelming in several spots. I watched the 3D blu-ray, and the picture was generally terrific, barring the few deleted scenes that required post-converting. The drop in quality is noticeable to the point of distraction, but I appreciate the effort to clean these scenes up and convert them to 3D in the first place. The film is better for having them included.
Also, the entire disc is in side-by-side stereoscopic format, so it can be played on that 3D setting without having to burn to a disc, provided you have a way to mount the ISO. ;)

In conclusion, if you hated Prometheus, this probably won't change your mind. However, if, like me, you find it to be an enjoyable but deeply flawed film, give this edit a shot. It fixes many of the problems, and it carries a slightly stronger "Alien" vibe. Final Score: 9.0

Great job on the edit. Just a thought about the commentary track, why not release it as a separate element so those that want it can remux a new version themselves?

Also, in regards to the 5.1 track, any chance to release a PCM version as a separate download for those that want full uncompressed sound? Seems like a bit of a shame to only have a Dolby version (and only a 256kbps one at that) available after all of the work you put into the audio

This review is not aimed to offend, just to give my honest opinion. :tape2:

Agent 9's fanedit is the highest rated Prometheus edit so my expectations were high, even higher after watching the very long but otherwise excellent Giftbearer fan edit. The amount of work put into this edit is evident, I commend Agent 9' efforts, however...

My enjoyment was completely ruined by the misuse of tracks to influence the viewer's emotion or convey character intentions in some scenes, incorrect audio levels during scenes with dialog, looping snippets of tracks from tracks intended for other scenes, bizarre audio effects added/manipulated to the existing score, and lastly shoehorned tracks from the other Alien movies that do not fit the tone of the film nor the film's score that was left intact. It's a great idea, but it wasn't executed properly. Key scenes were spoiled, scenes intended to unravel before the audience are given away by new score elements that remove the suspense and reveal the plot surprises, these scenes should have been left untouched.

It's very unfortunate considering how much effort went to this. The audio aspect of this project would have benefited tremendously from the collaboration of someone with strong audio editing experience.

Other than the above I have no complaints with the visual editing, there are certain scenes I would have prefered to see but I won't criticize the creator's choice considering what they had to work with and their choice how to tell the story. The movie's narrative is much more cohesive, there are lots of small edits that make a lot of difference. Fifield and Millburn predicament is believable, as well as the Engineer ship roll (still don't know how these two scenes got through test screenings), are probably best edited versions of those sequences of events I have seen from the fan edits so far.

Hello everyone,

is there any other download source to get the 3D Version, because the MEGA links from .info are down. :(

Gebirgskuchen said:
Hello everyone,

is there any other download source to get the 3D Version, because the MEGA links from .info are down. :(

If this is your first time here please read Using This Site. It's full of useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. This site has many rules in place to protect itself and its users. Should you ever need a reminder look no further: General Rules and Own the Source Rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to an admin for further details.

TV's Frink said:
I was all set to watch v2 this afternoon...but I couldn't get VLC to play surround sound properly. I'm sure it was something with my settings as no one else has reported a problem. Having said that, I tested a few other edits with surround sound and had no problem.

To give a little more detail, VLC has an "audio device" setting. There is a 5.1 setting, but it didn't work right with this edit. To be fair, it didn't work with a few other edits I tested either (Harmy's Despec v2.5 and Seciors' Ep I v2). But then I noticed that the other edits had an additional setting, something along the lines of "pass through" something or other (I forget the exact phrasing). That option worked great with the other edits, but it was missing from the audio devices on this edit.

:-?

So...

Apologies if I did not go back far enough in the thread, but once I got to the above post I was thoroughly confused.

I have what I assume is V2 of the edit, based on the file name. However, mediainfo reports the audio as 2.0 AAC. Am I incorrect in thinking that V2 has 5.1? Am I therefore looking at V1? Or is there something wonky about the file that mediainfo is having trouble with?

Agent9, I know you're out there...and I see you posting...

TV's Frink said:
I was all set to watch v2 this afternoon...but I couldn't get VLC to play surround sound properly. I'm sure it was something with my settings as no one else has reported a problem. Having said that, I tested a few other edits with surround sound and had no problem.

To give a little more detail, VLC has an "audio device" setting. There is a 5.1 setting, but it didn't work right with this edit. To be fair, it didn't work with a few other edits I tested either (Harmy's Despec v2.5 and Seciors' Ep I v2). But then I noticed that the other edits had an additional setting, something along the lines of "pass through" something or other (I forget the exact phrasing). That option worked great with the other edits, but it was missing from the audio devices on this edit.

Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_25.gif

TV's Frink said:
So...

Apologies if I did not go back far enough in the thread, but once I got to the above post I was thoroughly confused.

I have what I assume is V2 of the edit, based on the file name. However, mediainfo reports the audio as 2.0 AAC. Am I incorrect in thinking that V2 has 5.1? Am I therefore looking at V1? Or is there something wonky about the file that mediainfo is having trouble with?

TV's Frink said:

Hey, I did not notice this thread... I haven't checked....

But - as far as the 2.0 goes in V2... No it is 5.1, I just checked... I haven't heard of this issue popping up. V1 no longer exists, as I have since deleted it, unless someone out there has it... but V2 is in 5.1, I swear..
Maybe the DL screwed up the file? I'm not sure on this one.. I can upload it again I guess and give you a new link if need be.

-A9

Gebirgskuchen said:
Hello everyone,

The 3D Version os this film does not exist online anymore - I only had about 3-4 people ask for it, in all the time its been up, so I took it down to save space on my Mega.

Sorry..

-A9

TV's Frink said:

I just checked it with media info - this is what is shows... and I also tested the sound and its fine..

Perhaps I have v1...I will re-download and report back...

TV's Frink said:
Perhaps I have v1...I will re-download and report back...

V1 was stereo.... so it is entirely possible, how long ago did you download it?

Well if it happens again, let me know - and I'll throw up a new DL.

-A9

Alright, finished downloading and mediainfo reports 6 channels. Apparently I was looking at v1. I still need to see if I can get it to play right, but we moved recently and my surround sound system is still in the old house...

TV's Frink said:
Alright, finished downloading and mediainfo reports 6 channels. Apparently I was looking at v1. I still need to see if I can get it to play right, but we moved recently and my surround sound system is still in the old house...

ok great.. Well hope everything plays fine now..

-A9

I like to obtain the English subtitles in the subrip format (srt) for the mp4 file as the included one does not work on the media player of my TV. I tried to capture them via OCR with the program Subtitle Edit but it only captures the first chapter.

Edit: I got them today from Agent 9 via a PM. Thanks a lot!

I downloaded both the 10,6 GB MP4 and the 20,3 GB Bluray ISO and it stroke me a bit odd that the MP4 file appears to contain better audio than the one of the M2TS file on the Bluray Disk;

The mp4 has a variable 6 channel AAC LC track with an average bitrate of 446 Kbps and a maximum of 661 Kbps
The m2ts has a fixed 6 channel AC3 track with a constant bitrate of 256 Kbps

I expected this to be the other way around but it wasn't. Why is this? I can understand that this had to be done if there was a lack of space on the single 25 GB layer of the BD but that's not the case. Surely the AC3 could have been encoded with a minimum bitrate of 448 Kbps?

I can't speak for A9, but my experience is that when exporting video and audio files multiple times, for DVD, BD and MP4 use, it's often easy to miss something like Kbps. I suspect it was just a mistake and, even if it was caught after the fact, it's fairly laborious to change at this point.

Back
Top Bottom