• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Mathilda

I've replaced the 11GB file with an 18GB version that side-steps some noticeable banding in the opening titles. To my eyes, this 18GB file is a perfect match to the blu-ray.

I'm currently encoding another H.264 file that should come out closer to 7GB. That will be uploaded in about four hours.

Over the next day or so I'll start experimenting with H.265 encodings to see how small I can get it while maintaining good quality. I'll likely aim for 4GB.

-----

Foley fact #2: The first "sniff" is me.

I've replaced the 11GB file with an 18GB version that side-steps some noticeable banding in the opening titles. To my eyes, this 18GB file is a perfect match to the blu-ray.

I'm currently encoding another H.264 file that should come out closer to 7GB. That will be uploaded in about four hours.

Over the next day or so I'll start experimenting with H.265 encodings to see how small I can get it while maintaining good quality. I'll likely aim for 4GB.

-----

Foley fact #2: The first "sniff" is me.
I tried H265 for my Blade Runner edit ended up going back to H264 because it delivers better quality. My understanding is that H265 is designed for steaming content rather than locally played files. I also had banding issues on the BR 2049 edit at first. But using handbrake sorted these out. How do you render your files?

Last edited:
I tried H265 for my Blade Runner edit fender up going back to H264 because it delivers better quality. My understanding is that H265 is designed for steaming content rather than locally played files. I also had banding issues on the BR 2049 edit at first. But using handbrake sorted these out. How do you render your files?
I've done it a few ways, but the latest was Apple ProRes 422 (100GB .mov) -> Handbrake H.264 RF 18

But in this case, the banding was 100% caused by me. The opening helicopter(?) shot includes a pan over the water, and because of camera angle, lighting etc., there's a vignette that creates what looks like a radial gradient across the water. Which is fine, but I added a 3s fade-in to that, and the combination of the fade plus the gradient creates some obvious banding. The latest render avoids the fade-in and uses a simple cut from black like the source material.

So here are the Handbrake settings I use for an export for IFDB. This was banding free and not crushes blacks either, even though its a 10,000mbps export.

Video Tab
Video Encoded: H.264 (x264)
Framerate: Same as Source , Constant Frame rate
Encoded preset: Very slow
Avg Bitrate: 10000 , 2-pass encoding (tick), Turbo (tick)

I didn't expect to receive so many reviews!

Thank you @Wraith, @Dawnrazor, @lantern51, @Eyepainter, and @WilliamRedRobin for giving it a chance and leaving your thoughts.

@Eyepainter, you mention a jump cut after the first conversation between Mathilda and Leon. Do you mean the moment at 4:23? If so, that's admittedly a bit of an odd one. I didn't make any cuts or video changes here, but it's possible the alternate music is giving that impression.

When Stansfield opens the door, there's this random bit of jazzy music that follows him out. I believe it's the end of "Mathilda's" theme, but it always seemed disconnected somehow. Like Eric used it as a bit of glue to transition from Mathilda's lietmotif to the broader score. It doesn't quite mesh with the new piano music I layered over top (Kate Bush), which is creating some discord, I think. I should be able to side-step this by extending my music replacement strategy a further 3 seconds.

@Eyepainter, you mention a jump cut after the first conversation between Mathilda and Leon. Do you mean the moment at 4:23? If so, that's admittedly a bit of an odd one. I didn't make any cuts or video changes here, but it's possible the alternate music is giving that impression.

Whoops! The first conversation I was thinking of was the one that took place in Leon's apartment after the massacre rather than the one that started the movie. But I see the confusion, and I'll re-edit my review for clarification.

Do you mean after she says "Cool...", then it cuts a a completely different kitchen scene with some VERY loud background noise? If so, that's how it is in the source. It's a little jarring since they switch positions at the table, plus the wall is different, clothing, etc...I think we're supposed to get the impression a couple hours have gone by and it's the evening now. (37:32 in the blu-ray)

Last edited:
Do you mean after she says "Cool...", then it cuts a a completely different kitchen scene with some VERY loud background noise? If so, that's how it is in the source. It's a little jarring since they switch positions at the table, plus the wall is different, clothing, etc...I think we're supposed to get the impression a couple hours have gone by and it's the evening now. (37:32 in the blu-ray)

In that case, I stand corrected. Admittedly, it's been a few years since I pulled out my blu-ray copy, so I trust that your memory is better than mine.

I'm gonna go back and add an addendum to my original review now. I apologize for criticizing you on something that wasn't your decision.

In that case, I stand corrected. Admittedly, it's been a few years since I pulled out my blu-ray copy, so I trust that your memory is better than mine.

I'm gonna go back and add an addendum to my original review now. I apologize for criticizing you on something that wasn't your decision.
No worries at all, and there are probably some rough cuts further downstream that are 100% mine that you may or may not have noticed. :)

But it's amazing how many little things are present in the source material that we really only notice on close inspection or after iterating on a scene over and over again. For instance, after "the massacre" when Stansfield and Malkey are about to leave the apartment it cuts back to "Benny" in the hallway who's still freaked out, and we hear him breathing heavily but it's 100% just the same foley'd SFX doubled up (breath.wav - breath.wav). Like it sounds TERRIBLE, to the point where I'm like, if I don't fix that people will think I was lazy with my SFX! And yet, it's totally fine, and I only noticed 'cause I watched that bit 10 times in a row, you know?

Another example, this time from Jackie Brown, which I spent some time editing recently: At the tail end of the movie Ordell and Winston are talking on the phone, and the editor is careful to keep the "from a phone" treatment on the dialogue (high pass filter, low volume) except for the last line from Winston that is 100% perfectly clear even though it's a shot of Ordell. But nobody cares!

I'm not satisfied with the timing on the opening titles after dropping that fade-in over the water, so I'll be rendering it out again today with a minor re-alignment. (Longer black before the titles start in favour of conspicuously long black before we cut to the water).

For those who have seen Mathilda, are there any issues, little or big, that I could address while I'm at it? A SFX too quiet, a song too loud, etc.?

-----

Foley fact #3: Sockets dropped onto a tea towel. (58:02)

For those who have seen Mathilda, are there any issues, little or big, that I could address while I'm at it? A SFX too quiet, a song too loud, etc.?

ArtisDead asked me to give my thoughts on Matilda. I sent him info a few days ago, but haven’t heard back. Nothing offhand regarding SFX wise, but I did make some editing suggestions to focus the edit on Matilda better and a music replacement that didn’t seem to go with the action.

For the song that didn't quite work...May I ask if it was "Jig of Life"? That one has so many little lyrics that line up perfectly to the imagery that I ended up leaving it in, but it does feel a tad off in terms of aligning to the action...

I am not familiar with that song, so I can’t identify it. I did mention where the song I felt was used didn’t mesh with the movie and why. Would you want me to send you my complete thoughts that I sent to ArtisDead?

"Jig of Life" is during the first hit, when Mathilda uses the training rounds (paint).

Thank you for sending me your detailed notes! The song you were challenged with is "Violently Happy", when she's entering the restroom.

I've released a new 9GB version with some very minor tweaks. It came from a 100GB intermediary file, and grain is very well preserved. I'm very happy calling this the "official" release, quality-wise. There is also a 5GB version uploaded with some slightly waxier grain. I may swap that out for something even smaller, as I don't think it has much value in terms of size/quality ratio. The 9GB is preferred at this time.

There are three very small changes:
  1. Repositioned the opening titles slightly so there's no gap before we cut to the water.
  2. Adjusted the timing for the music duck during Cornflake Girl just a tad.
  3. Dropped the volume of Violently Happy so we build back to zero instead of going off the rails.
-----

Foley fact #4: My TV remote (55:55).

I'm a quarter of the way through the edit, and absolutely love what you've done!
The new music, the mystery scenes, the trims and cuts -- great stuff mate! 👍🏼👍🏼

I'm genuinely thankful to all who took a chance on this movie and left a review. I'm behind on the individual thank-yous, as it's all a bit overwhelming, so I hope a group thank you here will suffice. At least until I get mailing addresses and figure out how to get fruit baskets in bulk. @theomega @INIGHTMARES @PoorAndin @Belgarath @Hal9000 @Pedantic Contrarian @Insidious @FrameSniffer @bbghost @WilliamRedRobin @Eyepainter @lantern51 @Dawnrazor @Wraith @krausfadr

-----

Final foley fact: "Fooood"

I'm genuinely thankful to all who took a chance on this movie and left a review. I'm behind on the individual thank-yous, as it's all a bit overwhelming, so I hope a group thank you here will suffice. At least until I get mailing addresses and figure out how to get fruit baskets in bulk. @theomega @INIGHTMARES @PoorAndin @Belgarath @Hal9000 @Pedantic Contrarian @Insidious @FrameSniffer @bbghost @WilliamRedRobin @Eyepainter @lantern51 @Dawnrazor @Wraith @krausfadr

-----

Final foley fact: "Fooood"
Yes. Thank you all so much for your gracious reviews! We are happy to inform you that we've worked out a deal with @Wraith so we can send all of you a wheel of Asiago to gnosh on in the luscious green rolling countryside wherever you happen to live.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom