• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Mathilda

I may have a rough cut ready in the next few days. It'll be missing some SFX. It probably needs a sanity check, so I'd be happy to have someone preview it if they're okay with seeing something incomplete...If the Bjork shoe fits, please DM me.

I'm gonna try to fix this goof by "Manolo". He jumps his cue and pops back into the door frame too soon. It's always bothered me.
x9iXz6G.png

Adam Busch (Manolo) no longer jumps his cue in this scene. And with that, the one and only stain on his otherwise illustrious career is expunged. Adam if you're reading this, you're welcome.

How do we feel about not seeing Leon kill Stansfield at the end? There's a moment where it's clear Leon has been shot from behind. My edit...accentuates this moment. I'm seriously considering having that as the end of Leon's story, but it does leave the revenge plot unsatisfied if we don't see Stansfield die. But then, maybe that fits better? Maybe it adds another layer of tragedy? Thoughts?

How do we feel about not seeing Leon kill Stansfield at the end? There's a moment where it's clear Leon has been shot from behind. My edit...accentuates this moment. I'm seriously considering having that as the end of Leon's story, but it does leave the revenge plot unsatisfied if we don't see Stansfield die. But then, maybe that fits better? Maybe it adds another layer of tragedy? Thoughts?
Leon killing Stansfield is a nice scene and I think I would miss it.. BUT.. I guess that would depend on how you have retold the story in your edit. It might make sense not to have that scene. Might be best to make a call on this one once its ready to preview? You could do an alternate ending version of the edit :)

There's something cool about the audience not seeing what happens because Mathilda doesn't, but yeah, I'll likely retain the scene. The earlier foreshadowing of the "ring trick" doesn't make sense without it.

Change log in OP is basically done, but I'm deliberately leaving out details about the songs so as not to scare folks away.

Still a good amount of SFX to tweak. There is no clean center channel on this bluray. Pain in the ass.

Still a good amount of SFX to tweak. There is no clean center channel on this bluray. Pain in the ass.
Feel your pain! The audio side of an edit tends to take longer than the visuals for me.

Yup. And I'm still very much learning what works and what doesn't.

Preview should be available tomorrow.

For those following along at home, this is still on pace for an April release.

Special thanks to @FrameSniffer for previewing the first half hour and pushing me to go further with it...

Release candidate is rendering.

I will add to IFDB in the next day or two pending a final QC pass by the brave @FrameSniffer.

The poster has been updated to better reflect the final product.

I've dedicated this edit to my partner. She really likes Bjork and inadvertently sent me on a deep dive of her discography when I told her one of my main objectives was to remove Bjork from the soundtrack. She convinced me "Venus as a Boy" just happened to be one of the weakest songs and I should explore others. Well, yadda yadda yadda, there are now six different Bjork songs in the movie* (and "Venus as a Boy" has been removed).

Maybe this music doesn't work when applied to this movie. Probably it doesn't. Maybe I should have selected music that's more accessible to this audience of discerning cinephiles. Probably I should have. If I've alienated anyone, I apologize. All I ask is you watch it (time/resources permitting), and leave me a negative review rather than avoiding it on principle. I'll absorb the criticism and it will inform my next outing.

-----

*Plus some Kate Bush, Ace of Base, Domenico Scarlatti, Beethoven, and a generous amount of Eric Serra's original score.

I agreed with his Real Life policy and am okay with some of the other sprinkles but...Bjork?
Isn't she really Yoko Ono in disguise after Yoko Ono learned to sort of sing? I know the editing beyond the song choices is top notch, I just had to mute it when a Bjork song came on. And the edit had soooooo much potential...
😁

It's actually an incredible edit of one of my favorite movies. It's just overbjorked!

I'm just joking, really. I've not listened to enough Bjork to have an opinion either way. For the record, @futon88 , you should listen to your heart and make the edits you want ;) Don't let it be driven too much by the subjective music taste of the masses!

I suppose I should share a sample.

And the edit had soooooo much potential...
Ouch.

K, let me stew. I don't think my wife cares one way or the other whether anyone else sees this version, so maybe I shelve it.

It wouldn't be hard to make a version that's 90% Eric Serra, for what it's worth. I'd still cover the training montage with something pop (probably just "The Sign" since the lyrics are perfect). Frankly, it's been sort of a nightmare trying to find music that aligns with all the accordion anyways, and that accordion is damn near everywhere.

I'm curious though: Did "Jig of Life" work for you, or was it also totally bananas?

I actually liked a couple of the songs by Bjork and the Kate Bush song. I think you should consider who you are making the edit for in this project. To a degree following your heart is good advice. But you could end up with an edit that is technically flawless that you and your wife love and maybe one or two other people appreciate for its eccentric vibe. If that's what you want...do it. If you want a mass of people to like it with you then listen to the masses and give them what they want. You've had a huge hit and a slight miss (arguably the better edit). Go from there.

Ouch.

K, let me stew. I don't think my wife cares one way or the other whether anyone else sees this version, so maybe I shelve it.
you shouldn't shelve it. you've already made the edit. It's your project, your vision. If you're happy with it, release it.

I appreciate that, Heavisyde.

I may release it as a curio down the road or quietly drop it in reddit.com/r/bjork for those weirdos, but for now I'm re-working it with Art's help.

I've realized the part of this whole whacky process I like the most is the collaboration, so I'm leaning into that. It'll come out pretty close to my original design, actually. Art is helping me navigate back towards that endpoint. It's already better just with a few substitutions.

(but there's still some Bjork)

And the edit had soooooo much potential...
It's just overbjorked!
This was sardonic humor that I thought @futon88 would pick up on. I've had a lot of interaction with Mr. Couch and consider him to be one of the very best of the new wave of excellent editors, as well as, a friend. I thought he would get the half serious joke.

Last edited:
Mathilda is now available.

@ArtisDead helped me breathe some life into the musical landscape, and the movie is much stronger for it. It wouldn't be quite the same without those contributions, so this is now our first (and hopefully not last), "futon88/ArtisDead Joint". In some cases it was just nudging me back towards a song I already had and discarded, and in others he came out of the woodwork with the perfect song I had never considered.

Thanks again to @FrameSniffer for some critical QC work early on and for sitting through all that Bjork.

Thanks to @krausfadr for an 11th hour preview and some suggestions that steered me towards a "less is more" approach in some vital areas.

----

Foley fact #1: The orange juggling is me slapping a butternut squash*.

*For those "down under", that would be a "pumpkin".

Back
Top Bottom