• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Marvel Cinematic Universe

where are you seeing 3d? I can't see any 3d, this looks all hand drawn to me.
I can't help but see an odd blend between flat 2D and 3D computer-generated animation. It's not bad by any means, but my untrained eyes are just unused to this kind of animation, but it rocks What If? from a mile away.

I can't help but see an odd blend between flat 2D and 3D computer-generated animation. It's not bad by any means, but my untrained eyes are just unused to this kind of animation, but it rocks What If? from a mile away.
Ah right. well I find that often a digital workflow can give that impression, it depends on the quality of the lines, the thickness of them and the style of the shading. I wouldn't bet by degree on it, but I'm 95% sure there's no 3d there. I can usually tell, but it's possible they used 3d models as a rough guide (backgrounds) very early in the process. I have to say though, the lines on Magneto's face do look too thick for that close up shot.

Last edited:
How many of these MCU movies do you guys really love? How many will you be watching for years to come?
The ones I would be interested in rewatching are:
  • Iron Man
  • The Incredible Hulk
  • Thor
  • Captain America: The First Avenger
  • The Avengers
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Ant-Man
  • Captain America: Civil War
  • Doctor Strange
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming
  • Thor: Ragnarok
  • Black Panther
  • Avengers: Infinity War
  • Avengers: Endgame
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home
  • Spider-Man: No Way Home
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
And the TV series
  • Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (mostly)
  • Agent Carter
  • Daredevil
  • Jessica Jones (Season 1)
  • Luke Cage (First half of Season 1)
  • The Punisher
  • Loki
  • Hawkeye (surprisingly, because I expected to hate it)

Wow! Marvel has come out swinging with a One-Two Punch.
NGL, surprised it looks this good. Thought they were going for a What If style with the animation. Count me intrigued.

Please, Lord, make it happen🙏
Hopefully it's gonna be more along the lines of the original comic and less like the more silly ITSV iteration. Also wonder if Cage is gonna play Phil Urich since he was the lead in the og comics.

I wasn't interested in What If...but I just noticed that there was a 1602 episode. I love the 1602 comic, and I think I might check out the episode, but I want to brace myself. How disapointed will I be? Is it anything at all like the comic?

I wasn't interested in What If...but I just noticed that there was a 1602 episode. I love the 1602 comic, and I think I might check out the episode, but I want to brace myself. How disapointed will I be? Is it anything at all like the comic?
I'd lost all interest by that episode. My general sense from this series was that they have lost any respect for serious storytelling and view this as a conduit for yet more dumb comedy.

But tbh, I, started watching What if only because of the Marvel Zombie episode. I even prayed that Bruce Campbell would do a cameo as Ash in Multiverse of Madness (Marvel Zombies fans would know). And it was quite good, I'm pretty much excited about the Marvel Zombies show.

What If has maybe a 40/60 split in terms of good to bad episodes, and the good ones aren't that great. The multiversal adventures of Captain Carter are generally the good ones, but not always.

The 1602 episode, while not faithful to the source material in as much as I've read about it on wiki (it really should have been its own show), it still one of the better episodes. That said, there's a bizarre creative decision (well, among many):

So... they have a Robin Hood character. In a Marvel multiverse. And they didn't use Hawkeye? The famous archer. The hell?

It's an adaptation in that it's about them in that kind of time frame........and nothing else.

The Khakori episode was decent though, in that it was it's own thing.

Yeah, so, y'all were right. What If...1602 has nothing to do with the original comic. Characterizations are all off, there's no attempt to work in historical figures (unless you count Rogers Hood, but that's not what I mean), and of course none of the plot was there. There aren't even any slight references to the comic. I can't be mad, this never claimed to be a proper adaptation, but like, why invoke the original at all? Pick a different year, it's not like they took advantage of that specific period.
The thing is, I can just ignore this and go read the comic again. But... The comic has its own flaws that could benefit from an adaptation. I think there is a way to tell this story better, yet the adaptation we got is all just wasted potential. I'm sure it works fine if you're already a fan of the show, this clearly isn't for me.

I'm sure it works fine if you're already a fan of the show, this clearly isn't for me.
Meh, the show is a huge waste of money and potential. They gave up on the premise before they started. I can't believe they made sequel episodes. Hell, a third of season two is just continuing adventures of Captain Carter. "What if we had a character identical to Captain America" is not the big brain idea they think it is. It's so frustrating that the people in charge have no imagination.

Edited to clarify which part of the quote I was responding to, by deleting the rest of it.

Last edited:
Meh, the show is a huge waste of money and potential. They gave up on the premise before they started. I can't believe they made sequel episodes. Hell, a third of season two is just continuing adventures of Captain Carter. "What if we had a character identical to Captain America" is not the big brain idea they think it is. It's so frustrating that the people in charge have no imagination.

Edited to clarify which part of the quote I was responding to, by deleting the rest of it.
What If has soo much potential, even with the limitations of The MCU. Like what if Wenwu fought against Iron Man. Hell, bring in story ideas originally thought of in the past, like Hulk in Tony's place in Civil War or Carol Danvers joining the Avengers circa AOE.

But instead we got "What If we just did a crappy Dir Hard with Happy Hogan of all people".

They peaked with Strange Supreme and they couldn't even leave him alone.

But instead we got "What If we just did a crappy Dir Hard with Happy Hogan of all people".

Ah yes. Why did nobody call him Hulk Hogan?
Hulk Hogan Wrestling GIF

Watching the What If 1602 episode made me want to go back and watch the 1602 episode of The Super Hero Squad Show. I used to watch this show all the time as a kid, but a couple years back I tried to revisit it and found that it was just too childish to enjoy. So how does it handle my beloved 1602? It's not great, but frankly it's still better than What If. Between it being only 20 minutes, and the fact that it's made for children, I didn't expect it to really capture the themes of the comic at all. But you know, having it be about Scarlet Witch in colonial America getting persecuted for being a witch is at least SOMETHING vaguely resembling the comic. Plus they actually name drop Neil Gaiman! And Stan Lee is in it a lot, which is fun. A lot of it is just childish, not particularly funny jokes, but it works for what it is, and I always like seeing Doctor Doom.

I finally got around to watching Echo today. I was on a transcontinental flight so I had plenty of time on my hands. If I had downloaded anything else, I would have turned it off but I didn't so I watched all the way through. It was better than staring at the back of the seat in front of me but not by much. 90% of the story is pointless. The only parts I really cared about were the scenes with Daredevil (only 1 scene in the first episode) and Kingpin (a few scenes throughout, mostly in episodes 4 and 5). The performances weren't especially bad, but they weren't that good either. Everything kind of felt phoned in and I just don't understand why they made this except to show that Kingpin is still alive[/i]. I can't imagine it's going to tie into anything ever.

I finally got around to watching Echo today. I was on a transcontinental flight so I had plenty of time on my hands. If I had downloaded anything else, I would have turned it off but I didn't so I watched all the way through. It was better than staring at the back of the seat in front of me but not by much. 90% of the story is pointless. The only parts I really cared about were the scenes with Daredevil (only 1 scene in the first episode) and Kingpin (a few scenes throughout, mostly in episodes 4 and 5). The performances weren't especially bad, but they weren't that good either. Everything kind of felt phoned in and I just don't understand why they made this except to show that Kingpin is still alive[/i]. I can't imagine it's going to tie into anything ever.
Completely forgot this thing existed.

Back
Top Bottom