• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

making interactive dvd menu icons...

okee dokee - I got the magic wanding to bend to my will but still have no clue about assigning architect buttons to my photoshop layers (begin op = play - access intel = chapters - etc)

also, do I need to make a photoshop image with only layers I want to assign buttons to? or can I pick and choose which layers I assign?

thanks.

The layers have to be buttons. Basically, it needs to be formatted exactly as the one I uploaded. A background image (that you can later replace with a video) and button thumbnails and highlights each as their own layers. Things like titles, you should do in Vegas.

When you import the .PSD into Architect, it will recognize the buttons. So just like adding a new empty button to Architect, you can assign the button Destination in the ACTION section of the BUTTON PROPERTIES window.

damn I feel like a cretin, I just cant seem to get it to work.

setting aside everything I have done - I opened your example in architect pro 4.5 and it doesnt (from what I can tell) recognize any buttons/thumbnails/highlights at all. it basically treats the .psd as a single image.

also I dont see a "button properties" window or anything with that name anywhere in the menus.

I am sure this is a real eye roller for you but could you break it down like I am mentally disabled because its the only way I learn it seems.

thanks.

sorry, I'm at work now, and trying to recover from a blue screen of death problem. If what I write below is of no further help, I will post a better guide with graphics tonight.

How are you adding the .psd file? You cant just add the PSD to your project, you need to add it as a menu. The only way I know how to do it is from the default menu. click on INSERT -> SUBMENU FROM FILE. This should add a submenu below the default menu. You can move this up in the project and delete the old default menu. Now the .PSD should be a menu, and not just a media file. Make sure you PROPERTIES pane is visible. VIEW -> PROPERTIES. On a menu in Architect, you should have the options: GENERAL, BACKGROUND MEDIA, END ACTION, REMOTE BUTTONS, and COLOR SETS.

If the .PSD loaded correctly as a menu, your buttons should show up in the PROJECT OVERVIEW pane (VIEW -> PROJECT OVERVIEW). clicking on each one should also select them in the central workspace preview. You can assign media and playlists to them in the PROPERTIES pane (it will change to BUTTON PROPERTIES when you select a button). click on ACTION, and change the DESTINATION.

sorry if this is all gibberish. If this doesnt help, I will post images tonight.

adding the file the way you suggested works. the buttons are interactive and functional it seems, but the buttons are listed as "broken links".
is that because there is no media attached to them yet?

I really appreciate you dumbing it down for me. I am at work and cant experiment further because all my "real" files are at home. feel free to write up a noob guide if you have the opportunity - or you can just wait till I have more dumb questions later on. I will make it so, #1.

I hope you get your BSOD straightened out. I had alot of RAM issues last year w/ my work PC (8yrs old) and it took me a while to accurately diagnose and correct the problem. Thankfully it was a cheap fix.

Again, thank you.

elbarto1 said:
adding the file the way you suggested works. the buttons are interactive and functional it seems, but the buttons are listed as "broken links".
is that because there is no media attached to them yet?

yep, thats it. They are "broken links" until you assign media (either media, menus, or playlists). keep me posted on your progress :) I'll help out when I can

Ok, I have my menu psd created and I made a video menu in vegas. I loaded them into architect and the buttons all show up with "broken link". I cant seem to add any video files into the links/buttons. I cant do anything with the buttons other than click on them and make the rectangle appear around them signifying they are there, any ideas?
thanks.

you also need to add your media files to the project. Once they are added, you should be able to change them from "broken link" to one of the media files added to the project.

ok that works but I am still left with the icons (image/text) that architect creates when I add the media files. should I just drag them to the bottom of the screen so they dont show up? or is there a better way to hide/remove them?

i dont know what you mean by "icons" Can you post an image. You can PM me it if you dont want to reveal the look yet.

I cant post an image until later but I mean when you add new media to architect it shows up as a square with a rectangle inside and text below. even when I re assign the links they remain on top of the project.

you can see the icon at the start of this video:
[youtube:3ljya32d]

I guess I am still a bit fuzzy on what you are asking me, and whether or not you have an actual problem?

It sounds like you added the media, and Architect shows it in the left pane (your disc contents). You assigned the media to a button? It will still show as listed in the left pane (this is the project contents). You can order this stuff, by dragging it, any order you like. But it needs to be in that left contents pane to be on your disc.

So I dont know if I am understanding you correctly or not? let me know if I am just not getting the question.

no, the main preview window (the big blue area that says MENU 1 in that youtube vid) the Icon under MENU 1 appears whenever I add new media and even if I reassign the media to the buttons in my psd the icon remains, all I can do to hide/remove it is drag it off the blue area.

sorry, I know I give you a headache :oops: :razz:

hmm, i think i see whats going on. you never got rid of your default menu? When you added the submenu from PSD, did you move that menu up in the hierarchy, and delete the default menu? (in the left contents pane, drag the new submenu up, so it becomes its own new menu. delete the old default menu)

It might be easy to just send me your PSD file, and I can start you a fresh project if you are still having trouble.

I did move up the new custom menu and delete the default menu.
I love stumping you with rediculous problems you've never seen before - keeps you on your toes ;)
odd stuff.

edit - maybe I am just adding the media wrong like I was with the menu before. I have tried drag and drop and adding through the menu tree. dunno...?

methinks I need a screenshot to see exactly what is going on. :) Its hard to figure out exactly what the problem is before I can describe how to fix it

ok, I'll whip one up tonight when I get home from work.
thanks again!

Heres a screenshot, hope this helps-
trueliesarchitect.jpg

it looks as though when you added the media, you dragged and dropped it onto the center pane (menu preview), instead of the left pane (contents). This would add it as a thumbnail and new button. What you need to do is just add it to the contents, and assign it to a button that you already made

unfortunately i get the same results no matter where I add the file from.
I did however manage to find a workaround by using the sizing tool to shrink the unwanted icon/buttons down to "nothing" I wish I could figure out a correct way of doing this but for now this will have to do.
one more thing - dont we use the same architect? (pro4.5) I wonder why we encounter different issues...
oh well, thanks for your efforts!

Back
Top Bottom