• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

making interactive dvd menu icons...

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am looking for tutorials for creating interactive menu icons from simple effects like highlighting the word PLAY to something more creative like a highlighted image (usually found on a DVD easter egg)

how can this be done? i have DVD architect but cant seem to find anything outside of basic dots/letters. do I need something more advanced like DVD lab?

thanks

I do this all with a combination of Adobe Photoshop and Sony DVD Architect Pro. In Architect help, you will find all the requirements for creating a layered .psd file that you can import. It will tell you how to make masks, and what to name all the buttons and highlights.

I have been using this method now for a little while, and it works really well. It can be done with still and motion menus. For motion menus, just use a screenshot as a temp background, and then once you import your psd menu to Architect, you can replace the background media with the video you want.

Let me know if you have specific questions on the process, I'll be glad to help!

I'll probably take you up on that once I get around to authoring, just wanted to see if I could accomplish it in architect.
thanks!

yep, no problem. I have found that Adobe Photoshop (layered .psd creation) + Sony Vegas (background video for motion menu) + DVD Architect (setting up the DVD and authoring it) makes for a REALLY powerful combination. I had a lot of fun with my T2 DVD using this method.

so if I wanted an 'easter egg image' to be hidden and illuminate only when highlighted I would create what I want to illuminate in photoshop and import it into DVD architect, yes?

also, say I wanted to have a static background image with a small portion/window that would have semi transparent motion video. this would also be a photoshop/vegas/architect combo job?

I assume I create the static background in photoshop, but do I cut a "window" in that image for the video to show through, or do I overlay the video on top of the static image and mask around it so the static image can be seen.

an example of what I am getting at can be seen on any of the star wars DVD's

for an easter egg type option, you create some kind of invisible button (using photoshop) that only appears when it is highlighted. The button mask is whatever shape you make

For video through some kind of window: do this all in vegas basically. In photoshop you can create a menu, using a screenshot of the video as a temp background. Create a .PSD file to Sony Architect standards, import the menu to Architect, and replace the background media with the video you want.

I know that probably all sounds pretty cryptic, but if you paste a screenshot or a short video of what you want the menu to look like, I can whip up a .PSD to explain a bit better.

bear in mind this isnt finalized, just an idea in progress:
TrueLiesDvDMenuBcopy.jpg

I am thinking have the motion video playing (partially transparent) in a circle over the omega logo. I want to put the hidden easter egg icon into the text documents somewhere.

doable? or headache?

OK, here we go... :)

1) make your video overlay in Vegas. Basically create a .PNG file with the part you want to have the video as semi-transparent. Here is an example:

TL_menu_video_overlay.png

2) Create your background video in Vegas. Edit your montage that you want to appear in the circle. Create a new layer over that with the PNG overlay. You will have to change the track positioning of montage. (do this on the left, where the track settings are). Render it out as DVD-compliant MPG. Here is an example of what it might look like using the above overlay:

TL_menu_video_example.png

3) Create an Architect compliant .PSD menu in Photoshop. You can use the overlay PNG as a temp background, or take a snapshot from Vegas. The rules for menu structuring can be found in the Architect Help files. When simple, you need a background (your video, but in photoshop use an image as a placeholder), a thumbnail for each button (this is what the video link will be assigned to), and a highlight for each button (this is what will show up when you are watching the DVD and have a DVD button highlighted.

I usually just use a pencil tool, and create a small 1-pixel semi-transparent layer as the thumbnail. That way, it basically appears invisible, and do whatever you want for the highlight.

Here is a sample menu, all ready for Architect:

Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/327669609/TL_menu_Architect_example.rar

Notice for this I chose the TOP SECRET to be the easter egg. You could do the same for whatever on the video. This is a pretty easy easter egg to find, but often I like to make those.

4) start your Architect project, import the PSD as a menu. Replace background media, and assign all your buttons and navigation. If you are familiar at all with Architect, you should be OK at this point.

awesome, I will give this a try later tonight.

as for choosing "top secret" (thats great by the way) how do you make the letters highlight rather than a rectangle or text inserted by architect. to be more clear - if I chose arnies bow tie in that picture - how would I color the bowtie to illuminate - is that done in photoshop and imported to architect?

thank you so much for your help throw!

The menu is basically created in its entirety (except for motion background vid) in photoshop. Basically, I selected the letters of TOP SECRET using the magic wand tool, created a new blank layer, and pasted the contents. Then I changed the layer from black to red (color really doesnt matter, as you can modify the highlight color in Architect).

Pay particular attention to the layers menu. Each button thumbnail, and highlight is a separate layer, with a specific naming convention.

You then import the entire .PSD file into Architect. That essentially becomes your menu. All you really do in Architect is re-assign the background media, and assign your links and navigation.

OHHHHHHHH!!!
that was completely different then what I thought. I figured you made the individual pieces in photoshop and vegas and assembled them all in architect. that explains why your menus are so slick. architect is like 2 steps below MS paint when it comes to flair and resolution.
I'll dick around with it tonight, just be prepared for more noob questions :)
thanks again

ThrowgnCpr said:
OK, here we go... :)

1) make your video overlay in Vegas. Basically create a .PNG file with the part you want to have the video as semi-transparent.

do I create a PNG in vegas? if so how?

ThrowgnCpr said:
Basically, I selected the letters of TOP SECRET using the magic wand tool.

pardon my ignorance but how do I do that. when I try to use it it just makes a dotted line circle vaguely around the stuff I am selecting. (I am trying to make the words "BEGIN OP" and "ACCESS INTEL" into highlightable buttons

Thanks

PNG is the image output format from Photoshop. It keeps the transparency sections. (the omega circle) which you will add in a track (in Vegas) above your video track.

and oops, yeah, I didnt use the magic wand tool, I used the round selection tool. change your selection tool from square to round and then go from there.

round selection tool?

sorry I only know what your harry potter video taught me :oops:

:lol: :lol: sorry, I'll try to post some more specifics in the morning. In the meantime, on your selection tool (the dotted rectangle on the toolbar), you can change the selection type. Click and HOLD on this for a moment, and a dropdown should pop up, allowing you to change the shape of your selection tool. Choose the round one. If that isnt specific enough, I'll try to post some graphics in the morning.

BTW, I didnt explicitly post it, but the dimensions of the menu/overlay need be 873x480. Definitely check out the .PSD menu naming and format rules in the Architect help (under creating custom menus)

...You can only learn so much from Harry Potter... The rest you need to get from Dumbledore 8)

Ok I got the round tool but it just draws an oval around the area I am selecting. I think I am using it wrong.

also I started a new project at home (i did most of the work you saw at work) but I didnt use those dimensions you just specified: 873x480 - Instead I am using 1920x1080
Is that a major problem?

Thanks again for the help thus far Albus.

you can use the larger size if you want for the video overlay (it will scale it down), but it is absolutely necessary to use the 873x480 for your menu file. Its probably best though just to use the 873x480 all around

Sorry if I confused you too much last night. Round selection tool for the Omega circle. Magic Wand for the TOP SECRET lettering.

For the magic wand tool. You'll notice a tolerance setting up on your tool bar. At the lowest number (1) it will only select pixels of one color that touch each other (ex: Black, 0,0,0. TOP SECRET may not be all in perfect black, so it might not select all the pixels). You keep bumping that number up, and it has more flexibility in allowing similar colors to be selected.

ok, I'll give this new info a try tonight.
thanks.

Back
Top Bottom