• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

LOST - The Miniseries, Part 1 - Cut List in First Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

DriggyDriggs

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In Part 1 (of 4) of this Season 6 fan-edit, we find out the fate of the survivors after they detonated the bomb in the past. Also, the history of Jacob and the Man in Black is revealed through flashbacks.

EDIT DETAILS:
Like most avid LOST fans, I was disappointed by Season 6, not only because they wasted so much time throughout the season, but because the entire “flash-sideways” world was a red-herring. We weren’t flashing into an alternate universe at all, but rather a time many years in the future where all the characters were dead and trying to find each other in an elaborate purgatory they had created for themselves.

This show had always been about 2 things: the people and the island. I don’t know about you, but I really don’t care what happens to the characters when they die. Well, with this version, you won’t have to either. Inspired by the Prison Break trilogy on the main site, this version completely removes the afterlife flashes from season six and turns it into a miniseries divided into 2-hour parts.

Final Cut List for Part 1:

Cut List - LOST - The Miniseries, Part 1

Original Name: LOST - Season 6 ("LAX" parts 1 and 2, "What Kate Does," "Across the Sea")
Original Runtime: 171 minutes
New Runtime: 125 minutes
Amount of time cut: 46 minutes

This one is a combination of the episodes above with no "flash-sideways". Also, flashbacks tell the details of Jacob and the MiB's past. A few other trims were made here and there, but the story mostly remains in tact for this part. Part 2 will have lots more cuts and re-arranging.

- Added the scene from the Season 5 finale to the beginning with Flocke killing Jacob. The end of this scene then goes to a flashback of their mother arriving on the Island and giving birth to the twins. Then, to the LOST logo.
- After the logo, we get a quick recap of the Losties dropping the bomb in the construction site, then we see what happened to them.
- NO FLASH-SIDEWAYS!
- Using the episode, "Across the Sea," flashbacks are inserted throughout this edit explaining Jacob and MiB's past. The final scene of this part is Jacob laying his mother and brother to rest in the caves, thus explaining the two bodies in the caves with the stones.
- Cut a scene of Jack and Kate sharing a moment before she goes to look for Sawyer. Mostly for pacing.
- Cut Miles and Hurley over Sayid's body saying goodbye.
- Rearranged some scenes so that the stuff with the group on the beach is spread out through this part. This also meant trimming a little dialogue at the temple.
- Cut out all of the spots where it went to black on the commercial breaks.
- Added "A Fan Edit by DriggyDriggs" (my nick name) before the episode starts.
- Added some credits where necessary due to cutting out the flash-sideways.​

In-the-works thread can be read here.

Thread title modified to better reflect FE standards.

I'll be checking this out soon. Looks promising.

Will download it asap. However, can't wait it very soon because I'm busy with my newbought house and moving over.

Video/Audio – 10/10

Picture quality is perfect. Audio is excellent. All the audio transitions worked extremely well.

Editing – 9/10

The removal of the Flash-Sideways is done perfectly. The transitions from “present day” island events to the Across the Sea events were spectacular. There were a lot of great choices on when to cut back and how much is shown each time. I was a bit dubious when I first read that you were putting those flashbacks in the first installment, due to that story line being such a big reveal for the characters. But it worked really well.

If I had never seen Season 6 I’d be hard pressed to point exactly which cuts were yours. The cut from the end of LAX Pt 2 to the beginning of What Kate Does is flawless. Very well done overall.

The only flaw in your editing is the opening titles. (And for anybody curious, there are no random credits halfway through. The editor cut out the credits from the beginning of What Kate Does.)

You said in your cutlist that you “added some credits where necessary due to cutting out the flash-sideways.” I don’t quite know what you mean by that, but I would have expected you to add credits for the actors from Across the Sea. There is no credit for Alison Janney, Titus Welliver or the kids playing Young Jacob and Young Samuel. Also, the writing credit only says “Written by Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse” (who wrote LAX and Across the Sea) but you should have added writing credits for Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz (writers of What Kate Does). This goes the same for Paul Edwards and Tucker Gates (the directors of What Kate Does and Across the Sea, respectively). It’s a minor thing. Definitely not a deal breaker.

I will also say that the brief recap of the bomb detonation from The Incident felt very rushed. I know you used the second recap (from the beginning of LAX) but the first recap would have been a better choice. Another small issue.

Entertainment – 9/10

This was a very compelling way to tell the story of the end of LOST. Especially with the Across the Sea flashbacks spread throughout. For me personally I have a lot of issues with Season 6 other than just the Flash Sideways. But’s that's not important to this episode. It was great, loved it.

Presentation – 9/10

Very good DVD menus. Nice LOST DVD feeling. Special Features include two short deleted scenes. The one complaint is that the font for the scene selection menu is a little small.

Overall Rating – 9/10

approvedpl.png

Damn you i was just about to start watching this, damn cherry picking neglify. I swear i'll get you and your little doggie too.

anyways watching this in like 5 min

juice4z0 said:
I swear i'll get you and your little doggie too.

Don't touch a hair on Vincent's head!

juice4z0 said:
anyways watching this in like 5 min

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Neglify said:
I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Only because it has no on screen credits, I mean what kind of douche bag would leave those in the middle of an edit. :p

On a serious note here is my review.

Audio/Video: 9

Overall it is almost perfect however during bright scenes it would distort/pixelize around the faces slightly. also the during the Lost title card and during the on screen credits at the start of the episode you can see pixelization around the credits. That being said the rest was flawless.

Editing: 9

Neglify basicly covered most issues I had, With the beginning along with being rushed it just seemed like an odd place to start the "episode". Other than that masterfully done getting rid of the flash sideways.

Entertainment: 9

It was a good take on the material and a very enjoyable watch. It was well paced and just an overall enjoyable experience.

Presentation: 8

I love the animated menu and the scene transition into the Deleted scenes menu, however the text on the menu's were distorted slightly. Still very readable but suffered from the same issue the onscreen credits had.

Overall: 9

As Neg put it

approvedpl.png

Thanks guys! Glad you liked it. The "pixelization" on the LOST logo on the letter S has always been there, FYI. Go check out your DVD and pay attention. ;-) As far as the credits go, what I meant was that in cutting the "flash-sideways" it also removed some of the credits that were on the screen, since they were showing some during those scenes, so I added them back. I guess I may go back and add more credits for the extra writers and stuff, but it might get a little cluttered though once we get to part two that has 5 episodes mixed together. As far as the pixelization during the bright scenes go, can you give me an example I can check out? I might be able to fix it. Also, I will eventually make a 720p mkv available, so that might clear it up.

Sure when I get off work I'll take some screen caps. As for title screen I wasn't referring to the newspaper effect they use as it flys out but I will double check and screen cap it for you.

As I said I enjoyed it and the issues were far from being unwatchable. Just a few minor issue. Very well done

Matthew Driggers said:
I guess I may go back and add more credits for the extra writers and stuff, but it might get a little cluttered though once we get to part two that has 5 episodes mixed together.

In that case, add credits at the end.

And wow, double approval.

Really interested in this fanedit, but can't seem to find a download link...will it be added to .info soon?

codefinder said:
Really interested in this fanedit, but can't seem to find a download link...will it be added to .info soon?

As of right now it is still in the Newcomers section on .info and the download link is there. It will be put into the main area of .info soon.

It can be rated however.

Awesome, thanks for pointing that out. For some reason I never noticed that link.....been checking that site for over 2 years too o_O

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm working on a v2 of this now to fix the issues you brought up:

- Added "FANEDIT.org PRESENTS" before "A FAN EDIT BY DRIGGYDRIGGS"
- Added title saying "Thirty Years Ago" before the bomb drop recap.
- Created my own recap of the bomb drop using footage from the "The Incident" rather than using either of the recaps in the LAX episode. They both felt rushed.
- Altered the credits to include all the actor, writer, and director credits for all the episodes included in this part. Also, removed the guest stars who don't appear because I deleted the "flash sideways." (and yes, Neglify, they're in alphabetical order, now)

Matthew Driggers said:
(and yes, Neglify, they're in alphabetical order, now)

They better be! Or else...

But seriously, this is cool man. The video of the recap you sent me is the final one? Because that was pretty awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom