• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

L O S T - The Abridged Film Series

Looking like this series may be truly Lost :(

He seemed pretty adamant that he would complete it. Probably just that real life gets in the way, etc. Patience. :)

I'm back, y'all! Life did get in the way, but I've been working on the edit of Part IV as much as I can. I've managed to cut what I thought would be a two-part Season 3 into a single film, which I'm very proud of. This means that the series will likely be completed in a total of nine films (and hopefully the golden number eight) instead of ten.

It will still be at least two or three weeks before it's ready for release, but I'm pretty confident I can reach the deadline.

In other news, I've been kicking around the best way to end the series, and have come up with something I like quite a lot.

I've also decided to release all the rest of my films in a cropped 1920x800 aspect ratio (aka the typical Star Trek/Star Wars/regular film aspect ratio), which means that the in-show credits will be cropped out. I've done this on a shot-by-shot basis, so there won't be any accidental cutting out of eyes or mouths. It's pretty labour intensive, but to me it's worth it.

I've made this decision for a couple of reasons. First, it seemed that quite a few people on this community felt that the credits were too distracting and took away from the cinematic feel that I was going for. Second, in 99.9% of cases it actually accentuates the extraordinarily well-shot scenes. In a couple of very rare extreme close-ups, the cropping is a bit much, but it's still nothing to worry about.

As for the first three films, I'll re-release them in the new format after the completion of the series. I also still have to officially release the third film on IFDB, so I'll put that on my to-do list as well.

Long story short, this project is still well and truly alive, and will be until its completion. Thanks to everyone who pm'd me and posted on this thread while I was gone. I'm sorry I couldn't respond sooner.

Peace out,
Radzinsky

Good to see you back Radzinsky also good to know this project is still moving forward. Looking forward to the forthcoming edits......Cheers :)

I glad that you're cropping. I actually own the whole series and have been meaning to re-watch, so this seemed like a great way to do that for me. Unfortunately, the credits was a deal breaker for me. Will definitely have to check this out. Looks like amazing work, by the way.

Looking forward to the cinematic version!

Hello again everyone. Radzinsky here, just to give you a quick update.

I've just finished cutting together all the scenes I'll be using for Part IV.

I still have to mix the audio, put the scenes together to form the best possible narrative, make small cuts wherever I feel the dialogue has missed the mark or violated continuity...and now I also have to individually crop every shot to fit a 1920x800 aspect ratio.

And then once I'm done with all that, I have to losslessly render the video and audio, convert them to their final forms, and then upload the film.

So I guess you could say I'm almost done...right?

Just another quick update for anyone who's interested. I'm about halfway through my final cut of the fourth film, which covers ALL of Season 3 (yay!). Progress has been pretty swift, so I'm almost certainly going to be able to release the film by the end of this month.

I know I said that once before, but this time I mean it!

Cheers
Radzinsky.

Can I ask what how you're approaching the Jacob's cabin situation? Several people on the web seem to think Richard's reaction to Ben and John's trip is the result of a later retcon and that the scene was written as if Richard had never met Jacob either. Personally, I don't mind it at all, and I think it works with the later developments (his surprise could just mean how the hell does he know where Jacob is), but I'm curious what you think.

Also, you said you're cropping the first three films? Is that the next stage in your plan after finishing this one? :)

This is a good project. As someone who fell of this train mid season 3, I would like to see an abridged version. Season 1 will always be remembered fondly I think. There is a bit of a problem though, I would not want the waste of space and money by buying the remaining seasons, so is it okay if one mearly are subscribed to a service like Netflix, that has all the seasons on it?

If even discussing the own the source rule is a violation I apologize.

theslime said:
Can I ask what how you're approaching the Jacob's cabin situation? Several people on the web seem to think Richard's reaction to Ben and John's trip is the result of a later retcon and that the scene was written as if Richard had never met Jacob either. Personally, I don't mind it at all, and I think it works with the later developments (his surprise could just mean how the hell does he know where Jacob is), but I'm curious what you think.

Also, you said you're cropping the first three films? Is that the next stage in your plan after finishing this one? :)

I'm excluding the scene where Locke announces to everyone that they're going to see Jacob (thus eliminating the Richard reaction shot). This circumvents the continuity error/grey area you discussed. In my edit, Locke and Ben visit the cabin in secret; Richard and the rest of the Others don't even know they're going.

As for my cropping of the first three films, I'll be doing that after the release of the final film (ie the end of the series)

And I honestly don't know the legal answers to BioHuntix's question. You should probably ask the mods, who would have a better idea about that stuff than me.

Also, for those of you who watched both LOST and Breaking Bad, I put together a side-by-side comparison of the amazingly similar final scenes of both those shows (HEAVY SPOILER ALERT!!!).

Here it is for anyone who's interested:

BioHuntix said:
This is a good project. As someone who fell of this train mid season 3, I would like to see an abridged version. Season 1 will always be remembered fondly I think. There is a bit of a problem though, I would not want the waste of space and money by buying the remaining seasons, so is it okay if one mearly are subscribed to a service like Netflix, that has all the seasons on it?

If even discussing the own the source rule is a violation I apologize.

Own the Source is pretty self-explanatory. PM me if you still have questions.

Thanks for not interpreting the rules Radzinsky. :)

Hey everyone. I'm back again. Happy New Year from the Island.

I've had a few things to mull over with regards to this edit, and I didn't want to move forward until I'd kind of decided what I do about everything.

First of all, in addition to being the trickiest season to edit (with the possible exception of Season Six), Season Three is also what I'd call the Point of No Return when it comes to a number of key foreshadowing set-ups for the end of the series. I therefore came to the conclusion that I couldn't adequately cut together and release this film until I'd nailed down exactly how everything was going to shake out in the end.

For the longest time, I had a more standard finish in mind - one that was pretty well in line with the creators' original intentions. I also had a (very experimental) alternate ending that would probably have cut out around two to three hours of extra running time. But owing to the extreme departure from the original version that such an edit would have entailed, I was reluctant to move forward with that edit (however much I liked it).

Since I had run out of films I could release without having to make a decision (the first three would have been the same no matter what, and I stand by them completely), I had to make some sort of decision one way or another.

So after much deliberation, I've decided to go for the more conventional, longer version of the film series that I had originally planned. I may also release the alternate ending (which dramatically restructures Seasons 5 and 6 and would require entirely new releases) after the conclusion of the series, but for now I thought I'd err on the side of safety and stick with the more conservative approach.

In other news, I should be getting a new computer in the next week or so, which should make my editing far smoother and less laborious. I'm no longer going to make any promises about when the fourth film will be released, since I've already broken my word in that regard twice now - but suffice it to say that it has been on my mind (and on my computer screen) lo these many months, and shall continue to do so for the forseeable future.

Indeed, my New Year's Resolution was to finish the series by the end of this year. Ambitious? Probably, but once the hellish Season 3 film is out of the way, rest assured that Season 4's film (entitled Exodus) will be like a stroll in the park in comparison to John.

Humbly yours,
Radzinsky

This all sounds great! Glad to see you back at it. :)

By the way, I've been rewatching the first three films in a 2.35:1 cropped aspect ratio on my computer just to get a general idea of how they'll look when I go back and redo them in the classic film ratio.

Could anyone out there possible take the time to do the same (if even for just a couple of scenes) and get back to me with a word on whether you think the films look better that way? I don't want to go to all the trouble of manually cropping out the credits and such, only to find that all my work was for naught because I've ruined the rest of the film by cutting out too much of the picture. I doubt that will be the case, but I'd still like to get someone else's opinion on the matter.

I know that such an indiscriminate way of cropping the picture won't give a perfect representation of how the films will look in a 2.35 aspect ratio, but it will still be pretty helpful to get someone else's opinion.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to a) read this thread, and b) provide any feedback.

Yours,
Radzinsky

P.S. How the Hell do I change my avatar? I can't find the setting anywhere!

By the way, I still haven't released the third film on IFDB. Since I'll be going back and re-releasing it in a 1920x800 aspect ratio with the credits removed, should I wait until then to release it on IFDB, or should I go ahead and do it now anyway?

Back
Top Bottom