• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Jaws III: Monster by Last Survivor **now on vimeo**

Watched this last night and posted a review on the edit page. Thought I'd post it here too.

The only problem I see with this edit is that its intention is a little vague – most of the 3D is fixed, and the ending is changed, but it’s still corny and stupid; however, I can’t say it isn’t entertaining. I can understand that its purpose was to embrace the B-movie aspect. This was done well, but I guess what I’m saying is that there are parts where it could be embraced even more.

Technical quality – 9/10 – well, the video quality was very poor, full of grain and blocky solids, but I’m pretty sure this was the fault of the original DVD and not LS.

Editing – 10/10 – the color correction, for the most part, was very nicely done. Epic sound replacement. Seamless cuts.

Presentation – 10/10 – oh. My. Gosh. The extras. Ghost Shark was BRILLIANT. It didn’t have a real clear story progression, but it was still brilliant. It was entertaining and emotionally engrossing. It may have been better if the end was more ambiguous, and if Ellen had somehow confronted the shark in her own mind and overcome her fear or something. But, man oh man, that build-up of paranoia and what’s-real-what’s-not was incredible. Then there was a set of interesting deleted scenes and a MAGNIFICENT documentary. Cannot recommend that enough, it probably is one of my favorite parts of the edit. LS, you did a splendid job keeping the docu entertaining and informative. I never got bored, I learned a lot, and it was a really fun watch. I wanted to get this review posted soon, so I didn’t listen to the commentaries yet, but I have no doubt that they will be splendid. The cover art left just a tiny bit to be desired, but I won’t go into that in a review of the edit itself. Menus were very nice (great that you had scene selection even for the extras).

Entertainment – 8/10 – I never really finished watching Jaws 3. I watched about half of it and then never really got back to it. This time, I sat down and watched LS’s edit in one sitting without really getting bored at all. The opening flowed nicely, but the fact that it was in Amity and completely unrelated to the rest of the movie seemed kind of weird. Personally, I think the title sequence gave too much shark away – I guess you were trying to capitalize on the B-movie feel, but any and all mystery that could have been retained wasn’t. One of the things LS said was that he was trying to keep the shark’s presence less obvious so early on, and this was completely ruined by showing a huge, over-the-top shark montage during the opening credits. The rest of the film plays like a cheesy Jaws rip-off. I guess my problem with it was that it couldn’t decide whether it wanted to be the next Sharksploitation Edit or whether it actually wanted to improve the film. But either way, it was entertaining, and I completely forgot I was watching a fanedit because the cuts were so smooth. The other problem with it is that it could have done with a few more [SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER] Octopus scenes to build up to that incredibly well-edited and corny B-movie climax that was a nice callback to the end of the Sharksploitation Edit [SPOILERS OVER]. I noticed the repeated octopus scenes, but my mind didn’t really register that they were meant to be part of the plot for some reason. The re-edited attack on the scuba divers was cool, though, and I think this edit can’t really be much better – I mean, the editing is completely perfect, and it really does feel like a very entertaining B-movie. I would give Disc One 8/10 and Disc Two 10/10, so that balances out to 9/10.

Overall – 9/10

I really enjoyed this. I'm not qualified to comment on the technical side other than to say it was really well edited, all the changes to the direction of the film and the audio edits were transparent and never drew attention to themselves. I've seen more monster movies than I can count and the new footage was integrated into the film as well as most of those films, it didn't distract from the story even though I was aware none of it was there in the original verison and, overall, I'd say the new shark and other fx fit a lot better than the old ones. I liked the new direction the film took, I found it a lot of fun. I'm not an editor but, purely as a member of the audience, it all worked really well for me as a fun monster b movie. The whole thing was a great package, a lot of care obviously went into creating all the extras. And for a non editor like me it's really interesting to get to see what you guys do. Great work and, for me, well worth the wait :)

Hey Quickcut and ghouldetail. Thanks so much for taking the time to review the edit - ghouldetail, would you mind uploading your review to the main page on fanedit.info and giving it a mark out of 10 if you get a minute? Thanks :)

Quickcut....

The only problem I see with this edit is that its intention is a little vague – most of the 3D is fixed, and the ending is changed, but it’s still corny and stupid; however, I can’t say it isn’t entertaining. I can understand that its purpose was to embrace the B-movie aspect. This was done well, but I guess what I’m saying is that there are parts where it could be embraced even more.

Corny and stupid are two things which I wouldn't really want to change about Jaws 3. Indeed, I would have embraced the "B" movie monster style of the piece even more if I thought I could. I wanted to put more monster mayhem in the edit, but only if it felt natural. If you mean I should have made the movie even sillier (perhaps comedic?) to play up the "B" movie style, well, that wasn't really a direction I wanted to go in.

well, the video quality was very poor, full of grain and blocky solids, but I’m pretty sure this was the fault of the original DVD and not LS.

Yep, you're not wrong there ;)

I guess my problem with it was that it couldn’t decide whether it wanted to be the next Sharksploitation Edit or whether it actually wanted to improve the film.

Well, probably a bit of both really. TMBTM's Sharksploitation Jaws edit certainly inspired me, and I hope the new finale is a better one than that from the theatrical cut.

Also, glad you enjoyed Ghost Shark and the documentary, thanks Quickcut.

ghouldetail...

I've seen more monster movies than I can count and the new footage was integrated into the film as well as most of those films, it didn't distract from the story even though I was aware none of it was there in the original verison and, overall, I'd say the new shark and other fx fit a lot better than the old ones.

I couldn't ask for more that that. Many thanks :)

no problem Last Survivor, it's the least I can do :) I'm just waiting for the appropriate permits from they who must be obeyed ;-). Soon as I get that I'll add it

ghouldetail said:
no problem Last Survivor, it's the least I can do :) I'm just waiting for the appropriate permits from they who must be obeyed ;-). Soon as I get that I'll add it

Cool, thanks.

I watched the edit again with a friend of mine the other day and it was nice to be able to watch it and not have to worry about whether there are any technical glitches etc which might pop out at you. I could almost watch it detached from the fact that I edited the thing, so it was a fun experience :)

LastSurvivor is a faneditor whose work I respect and enjoy. So when I read about his plans for Jaws 3 I realized how passionate he was about the project and I realized I was gonna have to buy Jaws 3 so I could see this edit. So my Jaws 3 dvd is still wrapped in plastic and will probably remain so.

As usual I didn’t read any other reviews before writing this. The edit itself, excellent on the technical end. Listening to some of LS’s commentary helped fill in the details on a lot of the hard work he had to do on this edit. I was particularly impressed with the audio work on the opening scene, and I also thought the instance of filtering what was originally a day scene and making it look like night. I honestly wouldn’t have known had I not listened to the commentary. Nice touch with making yourself the DJ! If I ever need a voice over actor I know who to hire.

The movie itself, I didn’t really enjoy it that much, but that’s just me. The new ending was extremely creative though. However I did really enjoy Ghost Shark. Cool closing credits.

The documentary was great and is probably my favorite part of the whole edit. I followed the In-the-Works thread on a regular basis and know how time consuming it was to put this special feature together. Very interesting to hear all the training the actors went through. The tank that they built to film the underwater scenes was cool. I was surprised to learn that so many of the actors in the film were/are embarrassed by their involvement.These special features definitely raised the bar on what a fanedit release can be. So well done.

Because I didn’t really enjoy the main edit (through no fault of the editor, everyone has different preferences) I rate this an 8/10.

Great that someone take the time to re edit jaws 3. Guess it would take a lot of work to re edit everything. I think that jaws three did miss a good soundtrack. i am wondering if there where also changes made into the soundtracks. I am searching this fan edit for some days now without any luck. Could somebody help me find it ;) i would love to watch it.

Keep up the good work.

X2!
I attempted to d/l it through FA.info but the links were dead :(

Anybody have some good links for this? I'm a huge fan of TMBTM's Sharksploitation edit, and this one (to me) is a no-brainer to have as a companion piece.

Lastsurvivor, in case you weren't aware, your links are down for Jaws 3.

It will be reuploaded in time. Have no worries.

Cool. Never actually seen Jaws III but you've piqued my interest. Will check out your version instead of the original.

Obviously you will buy the original if you don't already own it.

You'll be glad to know..... I've just started to re-upload this edit. Will give everyone a heads up when it's available. ;)

LastSurvivor said:
You'll be glad to know..... I've just started to re-upload this edit. Will give everyone a heads up when it's available. ;)

Awesome! Thanks!

Okay, uploading is finished and DLC's are now available. Please PM me if you're interested :)

I really enjoyed this, IMO much better than the original, certainly sticks to the "b" movie aspect :)

Very well edited, really enjoyed watching this......well done Last Survivor...you certainly have a talent for this editing lark!

eeztheman said:
I really enjoyed this, IMO much better than the original, certainly sticks to the "b" movie aspect :)

Very well edited, really enjoyed watching this......well done Last Survivor...you certainly have a talent for this editing lark!

Cheers eeztheman. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the kind words. It was a real labour of love, so good to see people still getting a kick out of this edit ;)

Back
Top Bottom