• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Iron Man 2: At the Core of It

TinyBreadMouse said:
To echo Zarius, him looking back at Pepper adds weight to the scene, I couldn't tell it was edited.

Except for the abrupt transition and the lack of response to her. It seems off, and I can't tell if it is because I'm only seeing this clip without the context, or if it is just not going to work.

I agree. Feels very off.

If I may suggest a solution, I think Pepper should stop talking during the scene, and we're left with Tony ignoring her and staring at the diorama before the quick cut to him driving away.

TinyBreadMouse said:
If I may suggest a solution, I think Pepper should stop talking during the scene, and we're left with Tony ignoring her and staring at the diorama before the quick cut to him driving away.

That's a good idea. We can linger on the diorama for a moment before cutting to the car (without the wipe).

I'd personally be fine with the wipe if there was a pause between it and Pepper's dialog. It wouldn't hurt to see both.

In my humble opinion the wipe looks cheap. Maybe if executed better somehow? Softer Star Wars style wipe? Or a quicker wipe?

Nevertheless I think a quick cut would be better.

Masirimso17 said:
TinyBreadMouse said:

That's a good idea. We can linger on the diorama for a moment before cutting to the car (without the wipe).

I'll try shifting Pepper's audio, so she ends when Tony looks over at her. I expect that'll make him looking even more natural, and creates a silence while he stares at the Expo model.

I don't think I want to lose the wipe, but I'll experiment with some different speeds and styles.

Are there wipes in any other Marvel films?  I can't think of any off the top of my head and that, mixed with execution, just makes a poor combination.

Hymie said:
Are there wipes in any other Marvel films?...

I... don't know. But there are in mine. :D 

I agree that flawed wipes are distracting and make a video look less professional.

But wipes are like punctuation: when used correctly they add clarity. Depending on how its applied, a wipe suggests a passage of time or place that a hard cut doesn't. It can focus your attention or suggest a direction of movement. In short: Don't nix Wipes on principle, use them judiciously as one option in your toolkit.

It is better! Shifting Pepper's voice a few seconds improves the cadence of the scene. And, while I liked my wipe, the whole thing works stronger without it.

I like an improved scene more than I dislike being proved wrong, so thank you @"Masirimso17" and @"TinyBreadMouse" . ;)

pw: fanedit.org

A bit better, I can still hear an echo when Pepper talks though at 0:03

Zarius said:
A bit better, I can still hear an echo when Pepper talks though at 0:03

That's Tony mumbling, not Pepper's echo. Their voices overlap and their frequencies are too close. I can't noise-cancel Tony out without cutting into Pepper's voice in a way that's more noticeable and distracting.

For the audio clean-up of the Senate Hearing deleted scene, I ran into a similar source-material imperfection. To mute the rustling of Pepper's clothes as she walks, I tried several "rustles" from Freesound.org. They helped, but it's not perfect because the rustling also overlaps with the frequency of Pepper's voice. So I settled on the balance I find least distracting.

lapis molari said:
It is better! Shifting Pepper's voice a few seconds improves the cadence of the scene. And, while I liked my wipe, the whole thing works stronger without it.

I like an improved scene more than I dislike being proved wrong, so thank you @"Masirimso17" and @"TinyBreadMouse" . ;)

pw: fanedit.org

It's a lot better, and while I also really liked your wipe (something uniquely done by the editor that went beyond just shifting and cutting scenes), I also agree that it works better as a quick cut.

Enjoyed the edit @"lapis molari" , and left you a review. I do sort of nag it a bit for the use of wipes (especially after all the help you got ensuring you didn't need a wipe for one scene in this thread), but it wasn't too much of an issue.

@"Zarius" thank you for the considered reviews, my friend. That was fast, did you watch IM2 and Cap3 back to back?  ;)

No worries about being critical of the few wipes I added. I know they're a bit love-'m-or-hate-'m. The most obvious one, the circle zoom-out when Tony plays DJ (with the round record on the player), just makes me smile. It was too fun not to add it in.

I much prefer critical reviews that have content, to reviews that praise without explaining why. The latter don't help me figure out whether I want to see a particular edit.

lapis molari said:
@"Zarius" thank you for the considered reviews, my friend. That was fast, did you watch IM2 and Cap3 back to back?  ;)

I watched Civil War this morning, and Iron Man 2 right after tea-time, helped me cool my jets after a nice big roast of chicken :p

Hurray! Iron Man 2: At the Core of It wins Fan Edit Of The Month. Thank you all for your support, feedback, and enthusiasm!

IM2%20-%20Stark%20and%20Rhodey%20get%20medals.jpg

Back
Top Bottom