• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Iron Man 2: At the Core of It

addiesin said:
You could try using the stereo track from the film

Aah, I hadn't thought about the stereo track! I'll have to re-rip the disc for that. I may have to add reverb to the song to try to match the echo-y space of Tony's workshop.

In my mind this is the single most important line of exposition in the entire film, so it's worth getting it right!

When it comes to these small difficult fixes, I guess this is where a little OCD comes in handy.  :blush:

How did you insert the line? Is it a single clip from the center track of the 5.1 audio? Or is it all six tracks? If you put all six tracks in, try just the center channel before digging deeper. Unless you already did it that way and the lone center track has baked in music (which very well may be the case, as you've already tried noise reduction), then go ahead with trying inversion.

Voice and music run equally through the front 3 channels. :(
I'll try to reverse the polarity ( :D ) next week. If I can just get my sonic screwdriver to work.

lapis molari said:
I'll try to reverse the polarity ( :D ) next week. If I can just get my sonic screwdriver to work.

I'll borrow you my sonic sunglasses. 

Just don't look at my browser history.

Ha! If I could only remember where I misplaced my Tardis, I could journey to Marvel's editing booth to ensure they give IM2 a clean center channel. Or to pre-production to persuade them to film it my way in the first place. Hm, I guess if I were a Time Lord I'd be a meddlesome bugger. :dodgy: 

In the MCU Kang is the only Time Lord I know of. I don't think he's ever regenerated yet, perhaps he's still a wee Time Lord on his first life?  :p

Yes! I got Jarvis' line clean. :)

That took waaay to much time for one short line. Turns out the blu-ray has no stereo track, so I used the 5.1 after all. It took:
- noise reduction,
- replaced FL and FR channels with (volume adjusted) copies of the Center channel,
- added delay to fit the preceding lines,
- added bass and treble (after the noise reduction),
- and most helpful of all: I replaced the song from my remastered CD with an older pressing which is closer to the sound signature used in the film. Marvel must have used an old CD.

Now on to tackle the microphone noise and rustling clothes during the Senate Hearing deleted scene.:(

IM2: At the Core of It is almost completed! I'm fixing the subtitles and cleaning up  the rustling noise during the Senate Hearing deleted scene. Before I submit this edit, I invite everyone to give feedback!  :idea:  While the core of the story is locked down (pardon the pun), I'm eager for fresh eyes and ears on transitions and remain open to excellent suggestions for improvements. PM me!

@"Masirimso17", I didn't add any IM1 or IM3 music. I couldn't find a satisfying placement inside the film. At the final credits I instead inserted Danny Elfman's unused "Heroes" track from Avengers 2. It reworks the Avengers 1 theme. Since I'm explicitly calling out IM2 as Avengers Prelude, I think the Avengers 1 theme is more appropriate here than the IM3 theme. I look forward to your thoughts!

Here's the opening with cleaned-up audio, followed by Pepper kissing IM's helmet in the airplane. Password: fanedit.org

@"lapis molari" Don't worry about it, it's your edit after all :) I'm pretty sure it'll be great regardless.

I really loved the cleaned intro. But not very keen on the transition at 0:38. Sounds very amateur tbh. Don't know how I would fix it though.

Would love to check it out, but I do not IM2 yet :(
But I have been following this pretty close and I'm very excited.

Masirimso17 said:
not very keen on the transition at 0:38. Sounds very amateur tbh. Don't know how I would fix it though.

Hm, I restarted the song (as seamlessly as I could) because I'm using all the footage of IM's flight from airplane to podium (both the theatrical and deleted scene parts). If I cut +/- 20 seconds of that flight, I won't need to restart the song. I'll give that a try and check whether it doesn't feel too truncated.

Keep 'm coming! :)

Improved! :cool:
I removed 18.3 seconds of Iron Man flying from the airplane to the Expo. Now the complete AC/DC song plays straight through without any audio repeats or cuts. (IM now flies for 26 seconds).

I used to think that Iron Man 2 was the weakest link of the Marvel Studios films. Not any more! Watching IM2 and Thor 2 with the kids, I was surprised how much more we enjoyed IM2 than Thor 2.  :heart:

Thor 2 is the only Marvel movie I don't own. Not because it's particularly bad, but because I don't care if I ever see it again.

I'll be the first to admit that I really like Thor 2, solely for Thor and Loki.

Ignoring the villain (and some of the supporting cast), it's my favorite portrayal of those two together. The only time I liked Thor more was in Age of Ultron.

asterixsmeagol said:
Thor 2 is the only Marvel movie I don't own. Not because it's particularly bad, but because I don't care if I ever see it again.

Yeah, I get that. Thor 2 has good parts. Credible development in the Thor-Loki bromance. Great visuals of Asgard (especially when you add the deleted scenes back in). I like that Anthony Hopkins still seems to care for the role. Selvig brings superb comic relief. But the whole is so much less than its parts.

The theatrical versions of IM2 and Thor 2 both suffer from a unfocused, even confusing, plot and lackluster villains. But IM2 redeems itself in the edit. Restructuring the narrative, cutting junk, and adding deleted scenes, have lifted this film to solid ground. :cool: 
I started my Thor 2 edit but keep losing interest because there's far less room for improvement. :-/

I recommend @"TM2YC"’s fantastic edit if you haven’t seen it yet

Masirimso17 said:
I recommend @"TM2YC"’s fantastic edit if you haven’t seen it yet

Absolutely! His Thor 2 is much better than the original.

That's why I was all the more surprised how much better I like IM2 than Thor 2 now (comparing the edits, not just the theatricals).

Please listen to this clip and give feedback on the audio of Pepper talking off-screen.

I've listened on several systems and it sounds good except for one (android tablet). In Audacity the sound looks correct, and I can't replicate the bad sounding audio on any other system. :huh:  

Pw: fanedit.org

While you're watching, pay attention to the video cuts too. Particularly the one near the end when Tony looks back at Pepper. In the theatrical he's looking around an empty room, not at a person. Does the cut convince you? Any suggestions for improvement?

The look back to Pepper works, I'm sold.

Slight echo at 0:12 when she starts talking.

To echo Zarius, him looking back at Pepper adds weight to the scene, I couldn't tell it was edited.

Except for the abrupt transition and the lack of response to her. It seems off, and I can't tell if it is because I'm only seeing this clip without the context, or if it is just not going to work.

Back
Top Bottom