• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Inglourious Basterds

nOmArch said:
my pet theory is that the movie people see first is the one they tend to favour.
In france we had DP long cut first and few months (!) later PT long cut.
Although I really like DP I agree tha PT is so much fun and over the top that it should have been the grand final of the Grindhouse movie.

Saw IB last night & this is my least favourite Tarantino movie. I can forgive lots of faults in a movie, but I can't forgive a film that bores me & this film bored me to death.

It goes on for 2hr30mins for crying out load!!!

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate long films, but I think a film should be as long as it needs to be to tell it's story. But surely to god this story could of been done quicker?

I mean I watched Che this week & Soderbergh managed to tell the Cuban & Bolivian stories in 2hrs respectively!!!

Tarantino is in desperate need of a script editor as far as I can see. The scenes go on far too long & as has already been mentioned other scenes are paded out with unnecessary flashbacks.

I know people argue that it's a homage to European cinema & those films were long so that's why IB is long, but that doesn't excuse the film being boring.

Maybe I'll change my mind on a 2nd viewing, but I'm not going to be watching this film for a 2nd time any time soon.

1 Pulp Fiction
2 Reservoir Dogs
3 Kill Bill Part 1
4 Jackie Brown
5 Kill Bill Part 2
6 Death Proof
7 Inglourious Basterds

Well, it was not boring at all to me.
My GF even told me that she did not feel the 2h30 lenght and I agree.
I guess it's not a movie that work for everybody.

I agree though that it is not the kind of movie that I want to watch again immediately.

nOmArch said:
my pet theory is that the movie people see first is the one they tend to favour.

Ah. Now I did see Death Proof first. IMPO, it was long, tedious and unfun. Perhaps I don't like Grindhouse....?

ahh the exception that proves the rule, thank you White :)

@FM oh thank god i thought it was just me.

Its not just you. I think that Death Proof is easily the worse thing Tarantino has ever done (including any of his scripts). I think it muddles around trying to find its way, finds something good for about ten minutes, then gets lost for another 20 minutes until it picks up speed until the end. I thought all the actresses were terrible, and I would even go as far as to say that Zoe Bell was the best actress of the bunch. All the others came off as whiny and annoying and I was just waiting for Stuntman Mike to kill them.

Sydney Poitier definitely didn't inherit any acting talent from her father, that's for sure. What a terrible movie. :-o

And people call Inglourious Basterds boring :?:

i think we move to change the topic title from Inglorious Basterds, to Which Tarantino film do you hate the most... :roll:

Hymie said:
Its not just you.

i was talking about IB not DP. (assuming you were replying to me :) )

on a side note i would totally like to get some french lessons from the interpreter, she was hot.

Hymie said:
I thought all the actresses were terrible, and I would even go as far as to say that Zoe Bell was the best actress of the bunch.

Funny thing is she's not even an actress, she's a stuntwoman. You know that scene in DP where she's playing Ship's Mast and she's strapped to the hood of the car while Stuntman Mike is ramming their car? She actually did that herself. And to bring this thread back to IB she was also in that film as well. She was one of two Stuntwomen used for the character of Shoshanna. Although I don't remember her character being in any scenes that would require her to need a stuntwoman, let alone two.

nOmArch said:
on a side note i would totally like to get some french lessons from the interpreter, she was hot.

That would be Julie Dreyfus. She was also in Kill Bill as Sofie Fatale. She was the one that Uma Thurman shoved in the trunk of her car after slicing her arm off with her Hattori Hanzo sword.

wow! totally didnt twig it was her in Kill Bill, although she is ten times hotter in IB.

Frantic Canadian said:
Hymie said:
I thought all the actresses were terrible, and I would even go as far as to say that Zoe Bell was the best actress of the bunch.

Funny thing is she's not even an actress, she's a stuntwoman. You know that scene in DP where she's playing Ship's Mast and she's strapped to the hood of the car while Stuntman Mike is ramming their car? She actually did that herself. And to bring this thread back to IB she was also in that film as well. She was one of two Stuntwomen used for the character of Shoshanna. Although I don't remember her character being in any scenes that would require her to need a stuntwoman, let alone two.

I know Zoe Bell is a stuntwoman. It was my attempt to show that the stuntwoman who was given a role due to her tremendous work in Kill Bill outshined any "actress" in the entire movie. :grin:

I enjoyed it, though I think I might have liked it even more had I not gotten wind of the surprise ending through the press.

Strong story, strong acting, strong writing, great production design and technical stuff all around... Not a great film, but a great flick. A-.

SPOILERS FROM HERE ON...

Looking back after a first viewing, the only things I'd remove would be the Shoshonna running flashback and the King Kong bit (while keeping the rest of the scene). I was also a bit curious as to what happened to Marcel, and what his and Shoshonna's escape plan was, but I guess that's neither here nor there...

Gaith said:
SPOILERS FROM HERE ON...

Looking back after a first viewing, the only things I'd remove would be the Shoshonna running flashback and the King Kong bit (while keeping the rest of the scene). I was also a bit curious as to what happened to Marcel, and what his and Shoshonna's escape plan was, but I guess that's neither here nor there...

I don't think there was an escape plan. He obviously loved her enough to die for her, and in her eyes killing the Nazis was worth dying for. Their fate was always to die, she just happened to have a different ending than she had conceived.

The 'Shosanna running' flashback was indeed completely unnecessary. It's the kind of flashback that would be appropriate in a TV series where the action took place weeks or even years ago - not in a film where it happened 50 minutes ago. My short-term memory is terrible, but even mine isn't THAT bad.

I think Tarantino is one of the most over rated Directors in the film industry, sure he has Directed one classic movie with Pulp Fiction (1994) and some of his ideas/screenplays have been made into very good films by other Directors, namely Natural Born Killers and True Romance but I began to see a serious lack of direction at about the time of Jackie Brown.

I saw Inglourious Basterds last night in the West End and was bored to tears. The opening titles, using different fonts and a borrowed exploitation soundtrack gave the game away. This was going to be a disjointed mess and it proved to be so.

Funny but the film reminded me of a FanEdit. So many shots are lifted directly from other movies, such as the last doorway shot from John Ford's The Searchers (1956) being used at the end of the first chapter.

A score of tunes from other movies are used with wild abandon such as Lalo Schifrin's Kelly's Heroes (1970). A dedicated score by one composer would have helped cement the film together. Then inexplicably David Bowie starts a-singing Cat People from the movie of the same name. At this point I groaned out loud at how ridiculous this stupid picture was getting.

Some of the acting is good, especially by Christoph Waltz and Daniel Brühl but other performances are just a joke. Brad Pitt is unconvincing as a leader and begins each sentence with his jaw suck-out but ends each sentence with his jaw back in it's natural position. Mélanie Laurent is completely out of her depth and is dressed like a 1960's beatnik. Mike Myers is simply miscast and the weak Eli Roth, who is given a very BIG entrance by Tarantino, comes across as the absolute opposite to say, the late Charles Bronson, who could easily have pulled off such an extravagant entrance.

The lack of authenticity in production design, uniforms and weapons are the least of my worries. The film sucks arse big-time and if it had been Directed by anyone other than Tarantino it would be seen for the unadulterated mess it is.

Finally, the amazing score Inglourious Basterds has on IMDb 8.6/10 is unintelligible.

didnt you know? its cool to like tarantino. it doesnt matter what he releases, people will convince themselves its classic, genre defining cinema.

I agree he is entirely overrated although I liked Jackie Brown - even if it is just a another pulp/reservoir attempt of style over substance.

still havent seen inglorious yet but I have a copy and will watch soon.

0023ae606f170b45077912.jpg

read after watching the movie.
[spoiler:3cupayb5]More crosses need to be drawn around here...
:p[/spoiler:3cupayb5]

Can't disagree with you more Mollo.

I absolutely hated Death Proof and never held Tarantino in as high regards as many, but after seeing Inglourious Basterds I'm a believer. I thought this was easily his most mature film to date and has taken huge strides not only in terms of story telling but his style as well. With the story of Shoshanna at the forefront, he guides the movie in a direction completely unexpected given the advertising and it was a pleasant surprise. I thought the actress did a really good job and considering she was living during WWII I really can't see how you can find the way she dressed to be "beatnik". Her story was the brunt of this film, and the way that Tarantino had the finale half hour of the film play out was brilliant, as the tension was growing so much over the entire period that the payoff was so satisfying even if it only lasted for about 30 seconds or so. And Brad Pitt was perfect as the zany comic relief, which is exactly what he and the Basterds were for the lack of a better term. Even though they are the title characters, it's all about Shoshanna and her plot to get revenge and IMO it's one of Tarantino's best.

As for using stuff from other movies, I'm not really surprised since Tarantino is the most celebrated fan film maker of all-time. All his films are filled with homages and the like, but he always treats them with respect so I have no problem with that. I thought the use of the song "Cat Eyes," while seemingly out-of-place fits totally in terms of context considering the lyrics so perfectly reflect Shoshanna and her plight. As for the rest of the score, I would have liked to hear an original score but so would have Tarantino. He hired Ennino Morricone to do the score but when Bob Weinstein demanded the film's release date be unchanged, Morricone became unavailable and Tarantino just kept the temp tracks in their place. So blame the Weinstein's for the score. :-(

Hymie said:
Can't disagree with you more Mollo.

Well that is the joy of the FE forum. The one thing I did like, was that German was German, French, French and Italian, Italian. QT is forcing the American youth to read subs....nice!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom