• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Highly Rated Movies You Don't Like

I never thought I'd say this, but suspiciouscoffee is right.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
TVs Frink said:
That makes it even worse!

Yeah, you’re either onboard with that sort of thing or you aren’t. It’s no Con-Air!

Having Nicholas Cage in it would definitely make it worse.

The issue is that it's trying to be artsy.

492958.jpg

Interstellar is the better 2001.

tenor.gif

It has a plot.

Plot is overrated.
It has character development,

Overrated.
it has purpose.

The one attribute which matters. But you're still wrong.

suspiciouscoffee said:
You're not supposed to like Kane himself.  It's supposed to be tragic that he turned out to be an asshole.  Hence Rosebud, a childhood wasted, innocence lost.  Something like that.

Sounds like my valuable time lost. I'd rather watch A Christmas Carol. Similar story, but he chooses to change. There are plenty of real life Citizen Kane examples in the mainstream media.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Citizen Kane (1941) - not fond of... the cinematography.

WHHAATTT!?! I can understand not liking the characters, story, or how the story is told but Gregg Toland's innovative "deep focus" Cinematography is gorgeous. The guy was designing his own lenses just to get the shots he wanted. When was your last eye test? :D

DigModiFicaTion said:
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) - The animation is just plain bad. Sure it was good for its time, but this movie just doesn't hold its weight anymore, imho.
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - Too long. Too odd. Not enough pay off.

However, these ^ opinions are the correct ones. Well done ;) .

Gaith said:
AotC is the most entertaining of the PT in terms of sheer WTF-ery, but the worst of the three as a film.

I agree that AOTC is darn right hilarious. I just find ROTS boring and headache inducing.

Edit: I seem to have a habit of seeing a post from pages ago and replying to it as if it's the most recent, without realising pages have gone by since. (sigh). Pay attention Scrib.

I didn't particularly like Citizen Kane, but I still thought it was very good. The film is clearly very well shot and its narrative is woven well, regardless of whether one likes Mr Burns or not. I'm not sure about him getting Bobo back though.

The Scribbling Man said:
Gaith said:
AotC is the most entertaining of the PT in terms of sheer WTF-ery, but the worst of the three as a film.

I agree that AOTC is darn right hilarious. I just find ROTS boring and headache inducing.

Edit: I seem to have a habit of seeing a post from pages ago and replying to it as if it's the most recent, without realising pages have gone by since. (sigh). Pay attention Scrib.

I almost commented pages back as well but I caught it just it time so no worries.

I disagree about AOTC, I find everything about that film boring. ROTS is at least watchable for me but TPM is definitely the best. I thought I was in the minority with that opinion so it’s good to see I’m not the only one.

I need to read the thread for Rogue One because I actually love that movie when most seem to hate it. Kinda the reverse point to this thread but hopefully similar enough.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
OMG. You’re dead to me, Dig! :) Interstellar is the worst. And 2001 is a masterpiece. 

Saying something is the worst is an easy subjective claim. Do you care to share any evidence?

I submit the smiley face to the court of serious business.

The Scribbling Man said:
I've always liked 2001, but I found myself really bored on my most recent viewing. It's definitely a bit indulgent. There's an edit on IFDB that trims the whole film down to half an hour without really cutting anything which is very well done.

You mean 2001: A Space Odyssey - The Abridged Cut? It's the only straightforward yet significantly reduced entry I found on IFDB, and it runs 84 minutes - a trim, to be sure, but hardly a ~30-minute edit. (Also, it doesn't seem to be available in HD.)

Gaith said:
You mean 2001: A Space Odyssey - The Abridged Cut? It's the only straightforward yet significantly reduced entry I found on IFDB, and it runs 84 minutes - a trim, to be sure, but hardly a ~30-minute edit. (Also, it doesn't seem to be available in HD.)

Yes, I do mean that one - I knew it was an hour and a half, so I don't know why I wrote half an hour. Must have been half asleep or something...

No, it's not in HD, which is a shame. It's really well put together, but could do with an HD upgrade. One thing I do remember thinking when watching though, is that the ape prologue still felt a little glacial, whereas I probably would have happily had more of the trippy last act stuff - that part of the film is so mesmerising it's almost impossible to be bored. I was grateful for the improved pacing with everything else though.

The Scribbling Man said:
Gaith said:

Yes, I do mean that one - I knew it was an hour and a half, so I don't know why I wrote half an hour. Must have been half asleep or something...

No, it's not in HD, which is a shame. It's really well put together, but could do with an HD upgrade. One thing I do remember thinking when watching though, is that the ape prologue still felt a little glacial, whereas I probably would have happily had more of the trippy last act stuff - that part of the film is so mesmerising it's almost impossible to be bored. I was grateful for the improved pacing with everything else though.

Interestingly it’s the trippy conclusion that I find to be the most problematic. Once Bowman is through the monolith and into the room, I like it. But the whole journey through it is the part that I, personally, feel doesn’t really work and I wish was shorter.

DigModiFicaTion said:
There are plenty of real life Citizen Kane examples in the mainstream media.

Yeah, citizen Kane is based on one. Not that that's a reason for it to be good or anything, just saying.

I think a lot of this is based on what I call “Eric Clapton Syndrome.” People don’t see the genius of 2001 or Citizen Kane because they've seen so many movies influenced by them that it seems just one of a crowd. But just as Eric Clapton’s blues-rock riffs are everywhere today, they were revelatory (to white people) at the time. So, too, do the influences of Citizen Kane and 2001 seem somewhat diminished by their many, many successors. I’m going to guess that most of the people on this site wouldn’t be here without Star Wars. Well, Star Wars doesn’t exist without 2001 and probably Citizen Kane.

Possessed said:
DigModiFicaTion said:
There are plenty of real life Citizen Kane examples in the mainstream media.

Yeah, citizen Kane is based on one. Not that that's a reason for it to be good or anything, just saying.

Still not seeing any evidence of why it's good :p

Moe_Syzlak said:
I think a lot of this is based on what I call “Eric Clapton Syndrome.” People don’t see the genius of 2001 or Citizen Kane because they've seen so many movies influenced by them that it seems just one of a crowd. But just as Eric Clapton’s blues-rock riffs are everywhere today, they were revelatory (to white people) at the time. So, too, do the influences of Citizen Kane and 2001 seem somewhat diminished by their many, many successors. I’m going to guess that most of the people on this site wouldn’t be here without Star Wars. Well, Star Wars doesn’t exist without 2001 and probably Citizen Kane.

I don't really care for Eric Clapton at all. The real thing is better. But I do have to give him credit for having the courage to acknowledge this.

That was totally off topic though. 2001 is probably a good analogy though.

Possessed said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

I don't really care for Eric Clapton at all. The real thing is better. But I do have to give him credit for having the courage to acknowledge this.

That’s basically exactly why I use Clapton to make this point. I came of age as a music lover in the 70s and 80s. By that time every rock guitar player was playing those blues licks. When I heard that Clapton was revered as “god” I just didn’t get it. But what I came to realize was if you’d never heard it before, it was life changing.

Seeing 2001 in 2019 with a lifetime of experience with “space movies” it’s not going to have the same impact. But that doesn’t mean it still isn’t a masterpiece that, without it, much of what we cherish would not exist.

Yeah, 2001's big influences are the effects and second half of the film which are undoubtedly revolutionary.  But there is a whole part of the film that is Kubrick on full self-indulgent mode, a problem I feel he had with every film after Dr. Strangelove, and that is largely what myself and others have been citing as the films' problems.  Saying that 2001 influenced every film after and therefore should be absolved of criticism is unfair.

Hymie said:
Yeah, 2001's big influences are the effects and second half of the film which are undoubtedly revolutionary.  But there is a whole part of the film that is Kubrick on full self-indulgent mode, a problem I feel he had with every film after Dr. Strangelove, and that is largely what myself and others have been citing as the films' problems.  Saying that 2001 influenced every film after and therefore should be absolved of criticism is unfair.

“Absolved of criticism”? Who said that? I said the fact that it influenced so much that came after it makes the film seem one of many, when, in reality, it was groundbreaking when it was released. I realize I’m a lot older than most here so you may not realize how much of an effect that movie had. You’re free to consider the slow portions a fault or self-indulgent. I see it as filmmaking to create an experience rather than simply tell a story. Most space movies today make space travel seem like taking an uber ride. In 1969, when most people couldn’t fathom the distances (we probably still can’t), the longness served a purpose. As a result, it’s not a movie I revisit often, but the effect of that initial viewing is indelible.

I re-watched 2001 on the big screen last year with my dad (who saw it back in 1968). I really had to battle with myself to remain awake at some points and I was expecting him to have been even more bored but he loved every second of it. Probably seeing it back in the day, before the moon landing, was when 2001 had the strongest impact but for me having grown up with space exploration as an everyday thing, it will never have that power.

Moe_Syzlak said:
Possessed said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

That’s basically exactly why I use Clapton to make this point. I came of age as a music lover in the 70s and 80s. By that time every rock guitar player was playing those blues licks. When I heard that Clapton was revered as “god” I just didn’t get it. But what I came to realize was if you’d never heard it before, it was life changing.

Seeing 2001 in 2019 with a lifetime of experience with “space movies” it’s not going to have the same impact. But that doesn’t mean it still isn’t a masterpiece that, without it, much of what we cherish would not exist.

I can give The Beatles tons of credit for all the things they did.

Doesn't mean I want to spend any time listening to their music.

I saw 'Kill Bill vol 1' at the cinema when it first came out and hated it. I was sat next to the wall and would have had to disturb a whole row of people if I got up, but it's the only film I recall wanted to walk out of. I don't remember now what I disliked so vehemently, as I've never tried watching it since, and obviously have skipped volume 2.

Both Volume 1 & 2 have scores of 84% on Rotten Tomatoes, FWIW.

(PS. '2001' is my favourite film...)

Back
Top Bottom