• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Revisited by ANDREAS [PoA coming later]

Does this edit address everyone treating Harry like an idiot including himself? This is the kid that was a first year playing quidditch, has already defeated Voldemort 2 times, survived multiple encounters in the forbidden forest and has gone toe to toe with a basilisk. I get that the other kids may be older and know more spells, but no one seems to at least acknowledge that his experiences may give him chance.

Horrifyingly Hillarous said:
I forgot are you going to make Voldemort's eyes red ?
It is unknown at this point. I am very unsure. I need more feedback on it (clip is on previous page).
revel911 said:
Does this edit address everyone treating Harry like an idiot including himself? This is the kid that was a first year playing quidditch, has already defeated Voldemort 2 times, survived multiple encounters in the forbidden forest and has gone toe to toe with a basilisk. I get that the other kids may be older and know more spells, but no one seems to at least acknowledge that his experiences may give him chance.
No, it does not. But certainly a valid point! Unfortunately, it is like this in the book as well. Stupid kids.

I'm going to dumb down Harry at least.

Andreas said:
Horrifyingly Hillarous said:
I forgot are you going to make Voldemort's eyes red ?
It is unknown at this point. I am very unsure. I need more feedback on it (clip is on previous page).
revel911 said:
No, it does not. But certainly a valid point! Unfortunately, it is like this in the book as well. Stupid kids.

I'm going to dumb down Harry at least.

Dang, I really feel taking out a few lines would solve a lot of this. When I watched the movie yesterday, I was so bothered by the fact that Harry was given NO credit at all when he was chosen as a cup member.

@"Andreas" How is this edit coming along? I'm still looking very forward to it!

[UPDATE]
Prisoner of Azkaban will not get a fanedit treatment. The movie doesn't need many changes, and most of the once I've suggested are more of a wish rather than something that needs to be done. Therefore, GoF will be released alone. I might do a "PoA Fan Cut" down the line.

Masirimso17 said:
@"Andreas" How is this edit coming along? I'm still looking very forward to it!
I am happy to hear that!

The edit is coming along nicely. The first 30 minutes or so are pretty much finished, and so are most of the custom special effects and color grade throughout the movie, as well as the sound design (though not completely finished).

Also, this edit is not yet set in stone - so if anyone has any ideas or suggestions upon improving GoF, now is the time.

I am hoping for a November release.

Andreas said:
The edit is coming along nicely. The first 30 minutes or so are pretty much finished, and so are most of the custom special effects and color grade throughout the movie, as well as the sound design (though not completely finished).

Also, this edit is not yet set in stone - so if anyone has any ideas or suggestions upon improving GoF, now is the time.

I am hoping for a November release.

That's great to hear, good luck! I'll def watch Goblet of Fire again soon and give you my suggestions. I do have some though right now, they're ideas I got from The Unusual Suspect's Goblet of Fire review, I agree with them:

• Is it possible to remove or tone down Mr. Filch's "comic relief" moments? They turned this intimidating character into a joke. It may be difficult to remove his antics (running, lighting the cannon etc.) But maybe the part where he's dancing with his cat, at least? Oh well, at least he was funny when he did show up. He wasn't in OotP.
  • Maybe cut Ron saying "Piss off"?
  • Cut Dumbledore saying "A true leader does what is right, no matter what others think." You know what other leader believed he was right but others disagreed with him? Hitler. Dumbledore supports fascism?

A basic YouTube search of "goblet of fire review" gives so much great material for ideas and suggestions. I recommend these, especially the last two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WErDjHngu3o[/video]

EDIT: I almost forgot.

"HARRY DID YA PUT YER NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIYAH?!" He asked calmly.

Is there any way to fix this?

Masirimso17 said:
"HARRY DID YA PUT YER NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIYAH?!" He asked calmly.

Is there any way to fix this?

Nobody likes Michael Gambon's portrayal in this scene, so if you can find a way to fix it that'd be great. It's part of an important sequence (authorities decide Harry must participate in the tournament; foreshadowing of events involving Mad-Eye, Karkaroff, etc.) so it might be tough, but I'd love to see it.

"HARRY DID YA PUT YAHR NAME IN THA GOBLET OF FIRAH" is, of course, gone. But the vital scene exposition kept.

@"Masirimso17"  Excellent video suggestions. I've watched three of them beforehand, and I'll give the other once a look right away. I love these kind of movie studies, because they are excellent at pointing out the flaws in storytelling, even the ones we usually miss.

I will release a couple sneak peeks for your viewing pleasures.

What do you guys think about Voldemort's eyes? Should i alter them red (example on pave 6 or something), keep them the way they are or somehow transition them? I'm a little bit for going red, for the simple reason alone that that's what the book says. Their reasoning was "it doesn't convey emotion", but I find that incorrect.

Also, how do you guys feel about Rita Skeeta? I find her annoying and a waste of time. But her presence is important, due to later name drops in the series - namely DH PT. 1.

I also want to note that I've removed the Portkey sequence at the beginning of the movie. It creates a plothole when the Death Eaters arrive, looks cheesy and it is inconsistent with later entries. Also, it doesn't need to be there to set up the "Triwizard Cup is a portkey" cliffhanger, as our brains are fully capable of understanding what that means just by watching them teleport. Do any of you find this removal to be disconcerting, I might reincorporate it for the edit.

@"Masirimso17" Sirius's theme is added as requested. I completely agree. I found, I think, the perfect place for it.

Andreas said:
What do you guys think about Voldemort's eyes? Should i alter them red (example on pave 6 or something), keep them the way they are or somehow transition them? I'm a little bit for going red, for the simple reason alone that that's what the book says. Their reasoning was "it doesn't convey emotion", but I find that incorrect.

Also, how do you guys feel about Rita Skeeta? I find her annoying and a waste of time. But her presence is important, due to later name drops in the series - namely DH PT. 1.

I also want to note that I've removed the Portkey sequence at the beginning of the movie. It creates a plothole when the Death Eaters arrive, looks cheesy and it is inconsistent with later entries. Also, it doesn't need to be there to set up the "Triwizard Cup is a portkey" cliffhanger, as our brains are fully capable of understanding what that means just by watching them teleport. Do any of you find this removal to be disconcerting, I might reincorporate it for the edit.

@"Masirimso17" Sirius's theme is added as requested. I completely agree. I found, I think, the perfect place for it.

I would personally go with the safer route with the eyes, and keep it normal. Think about it, you're going to painstakingly change his eyes in every single scene he's in for all four movies, including the heavy action films. It's going to take long and boring, probably. All the effort for an effect people are split or completely sure about, will probably look distracting for people who will focus on the eyes saying "Do they look good?" etc. Just because it's in the book. It would be just like CG-Tarkin in Rogue One, or Katie Holmes' deepened voice in Batman Begins: Dark Cut.

I need to see the film(s) again to see how important Rita Skeeter is to the plot.

The portkey I think is an important set-up. Without this set-up, their transportation to the maze would be a painful deus-ex machina. Yes, in universe Voldemort planned this from the beginning, but this portkey thing would come out of nowhere and would be a forced plot device. How is it inconsistent with later entries? I'm sure the portkey never appears again in the series. Also, why does this create a plot-hole with the Death Eaters?

Glad to hear about Sirius's theme. It's really fantastic, I love it.

Andreas said:

Honestly, I do not think Voldemort should have red eyes, it sounds like a big waste of time and he will not do it to Voldemort any more terrifying or deep, I do not think it makes it difficult for him to transmit emotion, but it does not help either, I prefer the original.

I do not think that the Deathly hallows scene will be confusing with the Rita Skeeter elimination, the same goes for the Portkey, but I think I'd like to see clips to confirm if it can be deleted.

Masirimso17 said:
I need to see the film(s) again to see how important Rita Skeeter is to the plot.

The portkey I think is an important set-up. Without this set-up, their transportation to the maze would be a painful deus-ex machina. Yes, in universe Voldemort planned this from the beginning, but this portkey thing would come out of nowhere and would be a forced plot device. How is it inconsistent with later entries? I'm sure the portkey never appears again in the series. Also, why does this create a plot-hole with the Death Eaters?

Glad to hear about Sirius's theme. It's really fantastic, I love it.
Well, in some ways - it would create a deus-ex machina, but then again; this is a magical world, and we're now four movies in. I think the fact that a Portkey isn't introduced until the very same movie in which its importance will matter, is a Deus Ex Machina in and out of itself. That an object teleports upon touching it I don't really think would unsettle people in this kinda world - not at this point. However, your point is still valid. And very much so. I'm unsure about this one.

It is indeed a very wonderful piece of music.

A112 said:
I do not think that the Deathly hallows scene will be confusing with the Rita Skeeter elimination, the same goes for the Portkey, but I think I'd like to see clips to confirm if it can be deleted.
Well, I don't think it will be destructive to the plot. It would just be another name drop that never lead or leads anywhere. However, I think I might settle on just down-playing Rita Skeeta, diminishing her brooding presence in GoF.

I might arrange that.

@"Masirimso17" @"A112" 
Thank you for your input. I agree. Voldemort's eyes will remain the way they are. No need to fix what ain't broke.

[GENERAL NOTE]
Also, the Yule Ball - as requested by some on page 9 and 10 - is downplayed as always part of the plan. I find it to be a tad too long, and in some parts downright emberrassing to watch.

The portkey scene could have the goofiness trimmed, especially Arthur, Amos and Cedric walking out of the portal fine and dandy. Other than that I think it's fine.

WELCOME TO YOUR FOURTH YEAR AT HOGWARTS
Gone is Argus Filch's unfunny segment, added are establishing shots and alterations in mood. Original GoF Footage can be seen by clicking here for comparison.

DEATH EATER ATTACK
Some OotP-DH Death Eater smoke apparation, music nodbacks, color grade and added SFX. Also removed is the silly "Get back to the portkey everyone", and some rotoscoping to match the following footage after that line.

OPENING - DARK VERSION
Starts darker. Except for the music, this and the light version are the same. Changes are completely new SFX, music, color grade, re-introduction of Pettigrew's theme, Frank the Groundkeeper now notices the light turning on in the Riddle House after it turns on rather than before, and there is a visual callback of nightmares to Harry's traumas to set up previous conflicts and incoming ones.

OPENING - LIGHT VERSION

Which version do you prefer? The lighter opening, or the darker? The thought process behind maybe going for the lighter one, is that this will be the last "wonderous" of the bunch. After this, the movies - just as my edits - will go even darker. So it's like a last callback and defining moment of "this is still kinda for kids". Or, we could just go with the darker music in line with original GoF (though I've removed the awful opening screeching bass sounds) and unsettle the audience right away.

Good job on cutting Filch from that scene, however I have to point out that Dumbledore's hair from Half-Blood Prince is painfully obviously inconsistent with later. As for a replacement I would recommend using the establishing shot of the hall first, then the shot from his back from Prisoner of Azkaban (color corrected to fit, even the choir going away would fit with the new Double Trouble insertion), then back to Goblet of Fire. Oh and also, the shot from Dumbledore's back in Goblet of Fire is in a different position (the black bars don't match) than the rest of the clip, and the bottom grows larger as the shot zooms. Might want to fix that, you can reposition the shot and add a black bar to the bottom.

Oh my God, I loved the Death Eater attack with Voldemort's original theme, so much chills!

Personally, I don't like either opening titles. I find the first one too cheerful for the movie and for the other too big considering it didn't have a buildup. But of course, I'm not saying keep the screeching EEK-EEKs. But in my opinion a happy medium can be found between the two. IMHO it should be like the Order of the Phoenix titles, with a magical Hedwig's theme with sinister undertones. Not the same version of course (unless you plan to change the title theme of OotP as well for whatever reason), but a good alternative. Or, like Half-Blood Prince, begin with a small Hedwig's theme then transition to a different, fitting theme from this movie?

Another thing about both clips is that I don't think the rescore really fits with the scene, I think it needs to be much less whimsical, wondrous and action-y, and instead much more mysterious and atmospheric. I quite like the original score of that scene.

EDIT: But I did really love that Pettigrew's theme back.

Oh, and if you're not doing Prisoner of Azkaban, I would suggest editing the title of the thread and the OP.

Andreas said:

I do not remember if this happened in the original film, but I feel that this clip is too rushed, the arrival of the horses, the conversation with the teachers and in particular the beginning of Dumbludore's speech feels that they move too fast, at least for my.

I liked the color correction and although I was not sure about the theme in the train scene, I liked it.

Andreas said:

I liked the new  theme , but the flashback, was a bit random IMO. 

Andreas said:

0:17: What is that noise?
I feel this intro was fine at first, but the music of when Frank sees that the light is on until he finishes climbing the stairs does not feel right.And the one of the teapot seems strange something for that moment.

But the flashback and the rest of the music were fine, although I could not say how they would stay with the rest of the movie.

Andreas said:

I liked this intro, my only complaint is that noise at 0:17

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Agreed with @"A112" , except I'm fine with the flashback following the Death Eater attack.

Masirimso17 said:
Good job on cutting Filch from that scene, however I have to point out that Dumbledore's hair from Half-Blood Prince is painfully obviously inconsistent with later (1). As for a replacement I would recommend using the establishing shot of the hall first, then the shot from his back from Prisoner of Azkaban (color corrected to fit, even the choir going away would fit with the new Double Trouble insertion), then back to Goblet of Fire. Oh and also, the shot from Dumbledore's back in Goblet of Fire is in a different position (the black bars don't match) than the rest of the clip, and the bottom grows larger as the shot zooms. Might want to fix that, you can reposition the shot and add a black bar to the bottom (2).

Oh my God, I loved the Death Eater attack with Voldemort's original theme, so much chills!

Personally, I don't like either opening titles. I find the first one too cheerful for the movie and for the other too big considering it didn't have a buildup (3). But of course, I'm not saying keep the screeching EEK-EEKs. But in my opinion a happy medium can be found between the two. IMHO it should be like the Order of the Phoenix titles, with a magical Hedwig's theme with sinister undertones. Not the same version of course (unless you plan to change the title theme of OotP as well for whatever reason), but a good alternative. Or, like Half-Blood Prince, begin with a small Hedwig's theme then transition to a different, fitting theme from this movie?

Another thing about both clips is that I don't think the rescore really fits with the scene, I think it needs to be much less whimsical, wondrous and action-y, and instead much more mysterious and atmospheric. I quite like the original score of that scene (4).

EDIT: But I did really love that Pettigrew's theme back.

Oh, and if you're not doing Prisoner of Azkaban, I would suggest editing the title of the thread and the OP.
1. Funny thing. When you edit something, even though you watch it fifty times, you miss the little things. Replacements are made. Your suggestions were good, but there were problems with them. For instance, PoA footage has musical instruments on the stage after the band, and there are inconcistenies in the placement of the students walking away and the following shot. I think I found a solution.
2. Cropping error. It is now fixed.
3 & 4. In some regards I agree. The music, you see, is that of Tom Riddle from CoS. It is themetically very fitting to that scene - which is why i'm using it. On the other hand, it is less tonally pleasing perhaps - which is why I'm reconsidering doing a third take, a more moody one. There are parts of GoF soundtrack still heard in this scene. Actually, great parts of it near the second half of the clip. 

Thank you for your kind words, positive feedback and constructive criticism!
A112 said:
I do not remember if this happened in the original film, but I feel that this clip is too rushed, the arrival of the horses, the conversation with the teachers and in particular the beginning of Dumbludore's speech feels that they move too fast, at least for my (1).

I liked the color correction and although I was not sure about the theme in the train scene, I liked it.

I liked the new  theme , but the flashback, was a bit random IMO.

0:17: What is that noise? (2)

I feel this intro was fine at first, but the music of when Frank sees that the light is on until he finishes climbing the stairs does not feel right. And the one of the teapot seems strange something for that moment. (3.)

But the flashback and the rest of the music were fine, although I could not say how they would stay with the rest of the movie.

I liked this intro, my only complaint is that noise at 0:17

But hey, that's just my opinion.
1. As for the arrival of the Schools, that is pretty much theatrical (although new music and SFX). Only thing cut was Hagrid almost getting killed by the carriages. As for the other things, I do have to disagree. I've watched this sequence numerous times - and have revealed this clip earlier on the forum as well, to positive feedback. I think the pacing fits very well. If you look at OotP and HBP, the way in which these scenes move are almost equally at the same pace. Also, I linked to the original scene in the post for comparrisson.
- That said, I do think that Great Hall Dumbledore Speech could get some more breathing space between the cut in scenes. It might be a tad too fast-paced.

2. That noise, on computer sound, was very hard to spot. I didn't know how abrupt it was. Removed.

3. Valid point. Answered this from @"Masirimso17"  right above.

Thank you for your kind words, positive feedback and constructive criticism!

Great stuff so far! I'm REALLY feeling the new audio mixes on the clips you posted, although I agree with Masirimso17 that the mix on either of the opening title sequences don't really fit, especially when Frank fires the stove up and notices the light burning. Maybe something a bit darker, quieter and more brooding in the background so that it doesn't distract from what's going on there visually?

Another thing that really bothers me about the Voldermort/Pettigrew scene in the intro is Wormtail going "My lord Voldermort". For one thing it feels like they put the line in there just to announce Voldermort's identity, which I think is COMPLETELY unnecessary. Even if the biggest simpleton didn't get who the character was without the name drop, the mystery of it only adds to the scene. The other thing is that it makes no sense, when both the previous books and movies made it clear that his name was taboo. So where and how does Wormtail, the most spineless deatheater ever, find the balls to utter Voldermort's name in his presence?
I think omitting that bit is easy, what with the swelling score making the first bit of the dialogue almost incomprehensible anyway. What do you think?

Also brilliant job on eliminating Filch from the Great Hall! Usually you can tell when there's been a visual edit but I didn't notice this at all until I re-watched the original clip. The only thing that gave it away were the traces audio of Filch's footsteps in the background while Dumbledore speaks. But of course I guess that's an easy fix.

Back
Top Bottom