• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Revisited by ANDREAS [PoA coming later]

ORIGINAL OPENING
When I first started this edit I made this opening, but I thought it was too dark and sinister and un-thematically (with the rest of the series's soundtrack). However, upon digging through my Backup-list, I actually think this might be the middle-ground between the light version and the dark version, as humbly requested. Feel free to tell me if this is a step up or a step down.

MWRK said:
Great stuff so far! I'm REALLY feeling the new audio mixes on the clips you posted, although I agree with Masirimso17 that the mix on either of the opening title sequences don't really fit, especially when Frank fires the stove up and notices the light burning. Maybe something a bit darker, quieter and more brooding in the background so that it doesn't distract from what's going on there visually?

Another thing that really bothers me about the Voldermort/Pettigrew scene in the intro is Wormtail going "My lord Voldermort". For one thing it feels like they put the line in there just to announce Voldermort's identity, which I think is COMPLETELY unnecessary. Even if the biggest simpleton didn't get who the character was without the name drop, the mystery of it only adds to the scene. The other thing is that it makes no sense, when both the previous books and movies made it clear that his name was taboo. So where and how does Wormtail, the most spineless deatheater ever, find the balls to utter Voldermort's name in his presence?
I think omitting that bit is easy, what with the swelling score making the first bit of the dialogue almost incomprehensible anyway. What do you think?

Also brilliant job on eliminating Filch from the Great Hall! Usually you can tell when there's been a visual edit but I didn't notice this at all until I re-watched the original clip. The only thing that gave it away were the traces audio of Filch's footsteps in the background while Dumbledore speaks. But of course I guess that's an easy fix.
1. I hope the just-released original opening mix might be more pleasing, if not - tell me.
2. As for the Voldemort name-dropping, it will please you to know that every mention of Voldemort - verbally, by name - are removed. It diminishes his character so damn much. Wormtail only says "My Lord". Harry never says Voldemort to Barty Crouch or any other person besides his friends (if necessary to the plot) or Dumbledore in their last conversation.
3. Filch's footsteps will be removed during the final audio mix upon completeing the new rough cut.

Thank you for your kind words and good feedback! It makes me very happy to hear your positive comments on the audio mix and other things that took great amounts of time to pull off. Please keep the constructive criticism coming as well.

@"Andreas" As I said earlier, it's been a long time since I've seen HP4, so I do not remember exactly how the scene was.

I agree with @"Masirimso17" , this is the best introduction.

I am thrilled you find this opening more satisfying. I do too. Funny how sometimes the best ideas are the first ones.

On a another note; what do you guys think about the ending Graveyard sequence? Do you find the mood unsettling? Something you find cringe? Any particular music or sound design you'd love to get incorporated?

I find Voldemort to get tedious as soon as he starts adressing Harry. Everything before that is excellent. Some dialogue that is too explanatory or IN YOUR FACE will get removed. And a few nod backs to Voldemort's SS and CoS themes.

Andreas said:
I am thrilled you find this opening more satisfying. I do too. Funny how sometimes the best ideas are the first ones.

On a another note; what do you guys think about the ending Graveyard sequence? Do you find the mood unsettling? Something you find cringe? Any particular music or sound design you'd love to get incorporated?

I find Voldemort to get tedious as soon as he starts adressing Harry. Everything before that is excellent. Some dialogue that is too explanatory or IN YOUR FACE will get removed. And a few nod backs to Voldemort's SS and CoS themes.

The only thing I can think of is how repetetive it gets when Voldemort addresses how Harry was saved from the Killing Curse. We know how, it was explained at the end of the first movie. Other than that, I had experimented adding Face of Voldemort to his rebirth to satisfying results, though I loved it better when used in the Death Eater attack. Maybe the CoS version when he spells out "I AM LORD VOLDEMORT"? It would be great to keep one consistent and awesome theme throughout the saga.

Andreas said:

''Pick up your wand, Potter, I Said pick it up'' That bit always made me laugh.It's very out of tune.

''Astonishing what a few drops of your blood can do'' It does not make sense, considering that he only touch it.

Other than that, I think the rest of the scene is fine.

Wow, that's actually rad. The music really compliments the crows and the rest of the ambiance of the scene. I quite like the original score over the Harry Potter floating titles as opposed to the the tingly opening theme from the earlier films though, I feel like its a better match, it sort of sets the tone for the film and lets us know that things have changed and the story would deal with more mature themes. But I really dig the rest of it, really well done.

With regards to the end graveyard scene with Voldermort, the first thing that came to my mind that's cringe-worthy are his weird noises. Like as he puts pressure on Harry's scar, he mocks Harry with screaming noises, just really bizarre. 
Dialogue wise, at one point he calls Harry's mom a "filthy muggle mother". I don't get how that got past Mike Newell or the rest of the cast/crew. Voldermort would be the last person to make a technical slip up, since there is no way he didn't know of Harry's parents' magical lineage.

A112 said:
''Pick up your wand, Potter, I Said pick it up'' That bit always made me laugh.It's very out of tune.
''Astonishing what a few drops of your blood can do'' It does not make sense, considering that he only touch it.

Other than that, I think the rest of the scene is fine.
+1. Noted.
MWRK said:
Wow, that's actually rad. The music really compliments the crows and the rest of the ambiance of the scene. I quite like the original score over the Harry Potter floating titles as opposed to the the tingly opening theme from the earlier films though, I feel like its a better match, it sort of sets the tone for the film and lets us know that things have changed and the story would deal with more mature themes. But I really dig the rest of it, really well done.
Cheers!
MWRK said:
With regards to the end graveyard scene with Voldermort, the first thing that came to my mind that's cringe-worthy are his weird noises. Like as he puts pressure on Harry's scar, he mocks Harry with screaming noises, just really bizarre. 
Dialogue wise, at one point he calls Harry's mom a "filthy muggle mother". I don't get how that got past Mike Newell or the rest of the cast/crew. Voldermort would be the last person to make a technical slip up, since there is no way he didn't know of Harry's parents' magical lineage.
Oh yeah. This I agree on. It sounds horrible. The weird noises will be removed. As for the "muggle mother", very true. Never thought of that before. Really, really untrue to the character.

Any other suggestions from any of you - whatever it might be about for the edit, please feel free to let me know. There's been some excellent feedback and suggestions these last days.

MWRK said:

I guess he might be talking about Lily being a muggle born, but cutting that could also work.

Perhaps make him say "filthy mud blood mother?"

theryaney said:
I guess he might be talking about Lily being a muggle born, but cutting that could also work.

Perhaps make him say "filthy mud blood mother?"
That might be possible, only problem I can think of is that Voldemort says that line very mockingly, and the only time I can remember him using the word mudblood is at the beginning of Deathly Hallows. And then in a very calm manner.

Andreas said:
[UPDATE]
Prisoner of Azkaban will not get a fanedit treatment. The movie doesn't need many changes, and most of the once I've suggested are more of a wish rather than something that needs to be done. Therefore, GoF will be released alone. I might do a "PoA Fan Cut" down the line.

Fuck yeah. PoA is the best film and book in the series. I suspect it's because it has the least to do with Voldemort, so automatically has more nuance.

Zamros said:
Andreas said:
[UPDATE]
Prisoner of Azkaban will not get a fanedit treatment. The movie doesn't need many changes, and most of the once I've suggested are more of a wish rather than something that needs to be done. Therefore, GoF will be released alone. I might do a "PoA Fan Cut" down the line.

Fuck yeah. PoA is the best film and book in the series. I suspect it's because it has the least to do with Voldemort, so automatically has more nuance.
Story-wise, I think so too. The series had become pretty stale and predictable after the first two - fight Voldemort at the end, a death threat during Quidditch etcetc. A very welcomed change in pace.

[Finito Incantatem]

After months and months of hard work, I can happily conclude with the very fact that Goblet of Fire : Revisited is finished in terms of all technical aspects and audio mixes, with very little nitpicks left to do.

Thanks to everyone who has been contributing, and especially to those who have been sticking with me since Sorcerer's Stone in 2014. All the excellent ideas, constructive criticisms and positive feedback has helped me craft - what I think - is a very, very strong Goblet of Fire.

Special thanks are: @"JJPotter" for some excellent high-quality deleted scenes, @"MWRK" and @"Masirimso17" for a burning desire to improve and suggest, and all others who have in any way contributed. Thank you all.

Now, I will need a cover art. @"Scar" has made some excellent ones for me in the past. I hope some will contribute in this area, as making one myself would be - to say it politely - a catastrophy.

As for a release date; when @"JJPotter" has released his EE for GoF or his approval has been granted, and when I have a cover art.

Surely, thank you all!

Andreas said:
[Finito Incantatem]

After months and months of hard work, I can happily conclude with the very fact that Goblet of Fire : Revisited is finished in terms of all technical aspects and audio mixes, with very little nitpicks left to do.

Thanks to everyone who has been contributing, and especially to those who have been sticking with me since Sorcerer's Stone in 2014. All the excellent ideas, constructive criticisms and positive feedback has helped me craft - what I think - is a very, very strong Goblet of Fire.

Special thanks are: @"JJPotter" for some excellent high-quality deleted scenes, @"MWRK" and @"Masirimso17" for a burning desire to improve and suggest, and all others who have in any way contributed. Thank you all.

Now, I will need a cover art. @"Scar" has made some excellent ones for me in the past. I hope some will contribute in this area, as making one myself would be - to say it politely - a catastrophy.

As for a release date; when @"JJPotter" has released his EE for GoF or his approval has been granted, and when I have a cover art.

Surely, thank you all!

Hey, Andreas. I'm Cameron, but you can call me Motley, and I'm new here on the FanEdit.org forums. I wanna tell ya something;
I am so PROUD of your craftsmanship on retinkering the first half of the Harry Potter film series.

I currently own a collection of all 8 films on DVD. I just got done watching the Half-Blood Prince, and now I'm wondering what PoF has in store for us this year at the Fan Edit Academy of Restoration and Reconstruction.  :p

[quote="Motley']
Hey, Andreas. I'm Cameron, but you can call me Motley, and I'm new here on the FanEdit.org forums. I wanna tell ya something;
I am so PROUD of your craftsmanship on retinkering the first half of the Harry Potter film series.

I currently own a collection of all 8 films on DVD. I just got done watching the Half-Blood Prince, and now I'm wondering what PoF has in store for us this year at the Fan Edit Academy of Restoration and Reconstruction.  :p
[/quote]
Well, wow; thank you, my friend. That is very encouraging to hear. Really warms my fanediting heart.

I hope GoF Revisited will give you the same joy as the first two, and the rest of the series.

Andreas said:
[quote="Motley']

Well, wow; thank you, my friend. That is very encouraging to hear. Really warms my fanediting heart.

I hope GoF Revisited will give you the same joy as the first two, and the rest of the series.
[/quote]

What should we expect in PoA: Revisited?

Congrats on finishing. :)

gof1.png

My take on the cover: Will update with new details. How long is the runtime and are there any special features? BR or DVD? By the way, this is Criterion styled. The front cover is currently the Triwizard Cup, but would you like the actual goblet as the picture? I think this fits more as it actually plays a role in the story unlike the goblet.

@Andreas Woot, I'm glad to hear its nearly done! Congrats on sticking with it through and through and completing the project man, that is NOT easy.
I honestly can't wait to see the edit, it was a pleasure for me to contribute my ideas to your project, thanks in return for being a good sport and letting us impart our collective wisdom haha.

Cheers mate!

Only issue with the cover is the switching of pronouns. You say "my pass ion," but then you later refer to yourself in the third person as Andreas.

Back
Top Bottom