• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Forum for preservations and promotional material DVD's?

great. i'm in. ...however I do mirror boon's sentiments about RS. I think its a bad idea to ban RS use, and I really doubt that mediafire will remain so nice for long. I do hope I am wrong about that though

Ghostcut,

How do I make a back-up of a forum?

ThrowgnCpr,

Mediafire has been around for a good while now and is still free so we'll see how it goes but for now it's the best choice for what we do. I know a lot of people like RS but like I've already mentioned since they got rid of the time limitations their speed has gone done drastically and that can certainly deter anyone with a slow connection from downloading.

Thank you both for joining.

so, what's happening to the forum now?
What are you intentions with it, FC? Will you provide links?

Frantic Canadian said:
Ghostcut,

Nevermind, I googled around a bit and apparently they only provide backups to the users for a price :???:

EDIT 2: I'm looking ahead a bit here, if at any point you want to move away from Invisionfree to say phpBB or something, there are converters which scrape all the content from the boards - but obviously it takes a while.

I think I've got the forum set up pretty much as it should be right now. I will adding a "request" section in each of the sections where downloads are available in case anyone is looking for something that isn't available. Of course if you or anyone else has any suggestions I'm all ears. My intention with this forum is to allow people to download and discuss preservations, workprints, tv specials etc... and basically work as a sister site to FE. I'm not trying to take anything away from FE as it's a site I love myself but instead I'm trying to offer people the ability to download content which is deemed taboo or semi-legal here.

I will be uploading content myself and of course posting the links so people can download them if that's what you were asking. Of course I'm hoping that other people will also contribute by uploading content themselves.

Ghostcut said:
Frantic Canadian said:
Ghostcut,

Nevermind, I googled around a bit and apparently they only provide backups to the users for a price :???:

EDIT 2: I'm looking ahead a bit here, if at any point you want to move away from Invisionfree to say phpBB or something, there are converters which scrape all the content from the boards - but obviously it takes a while.

That kind of sucks but it's nice to know that there are alternatives. I've been running another invisionfree forum for the past five years now and have yet to come across any problems with them so I'm not too worried about having to back the board up.

Frantic Canadian said:
I will be uploading content myself and of course posting the links so people can download them if that's what you were asking. Of course I'm hoping that other people will also contribute by uploading content themselves.
that is exactly what I wanted to know. :) Each forum starts with a bunch of activity from the ones who create it. The community will then come to life by itself.

I need to clear some space on my hard drive first because it's getting pretty full so I'll try and do that this week and I should be able to have something up next weekend. But by all means if you have anything that you want to post go right ahead.

when will they be some preservations on the forum? please.

AvP said:
when will they be some preservations on the forum? please.

I'm not sure. I was trying to upload the tv cut of Hellboy earlier but I was having trouble with my connection. I'll try again later and hopefully there won't be any problems this time. Remember I may be the one who created the forum but it doesn't mean I have to be the only one to upload content. If you've got anything that falls under the various sections of the forum by all means please upload whatever you can.

i would but i only use RS.

RS is much better hosting service.

Actually it's not too bad to upload to Mediafire any more - their web uploader lets you upload as many files as you like!

AvP said:
RS is much better hosting service.

I can't really compare the two but I've always prefered Mediafire. Now that RS has removed the time restraints between downloads they're catching up to Mediafire in my eyes but RS download speed, at least for free users, is worth shit which is why I want people to use Mediafire instead of RS. Now if no one is willing to upload content using Mediafire please speak up now and I'll just shut down the forum. I didn't start the board just so I'd be the only one uploading material.

ehm... there is no material on your forum yet...

There isn't any content yet but AvP made it clear that he won't be uploading anything because I don't allow the use of RS so what I was asking was if anyone else is felt the same way. Personally I don't see why the refusal to use Mediafire. He said that RS is a much better hosting service but I've never noticed any difference. Personally for me Mediafire is actually faster to upload than RS and the download speed, compared to RS speed for free users, is much faster. I made the Mediafire rule with users who don't have a premium account over at RS in mind because as I've already stated since RS got rid of their time restraints between downloads the download speed, for free users anyways, has gone down drastically. What used to take about five minutes to download now takes about a half hour but with Mediafire you still get the same great speed, no download limits and you can download several files at once. If you ask me, and before I say this I want it known that I don't have anything against AvP, I think his refusal to use Mediafire is because he's got a premium account with RS and he doesn't want to lose all the points he'd be getting from people downloading his files.

it has nothing to with the points..i think RS is much faster...really it should be a open source.

I'd like to comment that this forum of yours isnt off to a good start. You must realize the amount of work that you have to personally put into one of these projects to get it started and keep it going. Without boon23's continual dedication, and massive amount of work, FE would never be where it is today. reEdit magazine had a big start, but those running it weren't willing to dedicate their personal time to it, and thus it failed. You have already mentioned that you didn't want to be the only one adding content. Unfortunately you are going to have to do a lot of start up work if you want this place to succeed. Only then will people see that this is a worthwhile place, and offer to help out.

You've gotten off to a bad start by placing the no rapidshare, and mediafire only preferred rule. There are a LOT of people here who prefer rapidshare. You dont here about it much, because those you do here from are the bitchers. By limiting your choices of download/upload, you will alienate a LOT of people. We accept and use pretty much every outlet here. torrent, rapidshare, mediafire, etc. It just happens that torrents and rapdishare are the most popular. Torrents, easy, because its free and most people want to pay nothing. Rapishare because of the reliability for premium users, and the relatively low fees. No other service has been able to provide that consistently. Thats why you see so much RS use here. I am not advertising RS by any account, however, that is just the current state here. Perhaps mediafire will continue to improve and stay consistent. Its not for me to predict or decide what gets used. As of now I see it as a cool service, but a flash-in-the-pan.

So far, we see nothing at the preservation forum. I hope that changes, and you become more flexible to things. You have to market the place and work hard for it to be successful. Fanedit.org did not happen over night, it wasnt free for the admins and owners, and it didnt get big by itself. It was a lot of work, dollars and love to get it off the ground. I hope that one day your idea and forum can do that, just realize what goes into making a place successful.

AvP said:
it has nothing to with the points..i think RS is much faster...really it should be a open source.

To a premium user the speed may be better but for a free user the speed is shit.

ThrowgnCpr said:
I'd like to comment that this forum of yours isnt off to a good start. You must realize the amount of work that you have to personally put into one of these projects to get it started and keep it going.

If you've got any suggestions I'm all ears. I didn't create my forum to compete with this one and I never intended it to become fanedit.org pt.2 It's just a basic forum where we can discuss and post preservations of all sorts. I don't see what else I can do to the forum that isn't already done but like I said if you've got any suggestions I'm all ears.

ThrowgnCpr said:
You have already mentioned that you didn't want to be the only one adding content. Unfortunately you are going to have to do a lot of start up work if you want this place to succeed. Only then will people see that this is a worthwhile place, and offer to help out.

I understand that I'm going to have to contribute content myself, and I plan to as well, but it's been about a week now I think since the forum was created and while I think 13 people have joined only a few have actually posted and rarely at that. I mean out of the 32 posts 21 one of those are mine. This was never meant as a download only forum so it kind of feels like people are joining just to download stuff and that wasn't my intention for the board.

ThrowgnCpr said:
You've gotten off to a bad start by placing the no rapidshare, and mediafire only preferred rule. There are a LOT of people here who prefer rapidshare.

And I'm guessing all of them have premium accounts with RS. I didn't like RS before because of the time restraints between downloads but at least you got good speed out of them but now that they got rid of the time restraints they screw free users by cutting down the download speed drastically so it's basically a no-win situation for us. For example I'm trying to download a DVD from here and the first part took me a half hour to download. I was downloading the second part for 40 minutes and it wasn't even at the 50% mark yet and my modem froze so I had to cancel the download. And before you ask I've got a DSL connection so you can see why I made the no RS rule. Hell if it's taking me this long to download a 95.7 MB file from RS on DSL how long do you think it's going to take for somebody with a slower connection?

By allowing RS on my forum I fear that that's all people are going to use to upload with and that's not what I want for the reasons I've already stated. I have nothing against torrents, in fact now that RS sucks I only download DVD's from here via torrents, but if you're going to upload a DVD via torrent I ask that you upload it via Mediafire first for those users that can't use torrents or just in case the seeder disappears, the speed is too slow or the torrent becomes dead. At least that way there is an alternative and you can always get the DVD.

ThrowgnCpr said:
So far, we see nothing at the preservation forum.

That is true but I have to say I'm mostly only online on weekends. I did start uploading the tv cut of Hellboy last night but was having trouble with my connection. Now I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth taking the time to upload since no one is even bothering to even post. I'm not talking about uploading at this point just regular posts would be nice. Hell some guy joined, made a request right off the bat with his first post and never even posted again.

ThrowgnCpr said:
I hope that changes, and you become more flexible to things.

I am flexible and am open to suggestions but when it comes to allowing the use of RS my decision is made and it won't change unless RS does something about their crappy speed for free users.

Back
Top Bottom