• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Forum for preservations and promotional material DVD's?

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I asked Boon in my "Promoting The Dark Knight" thread if had ever thought about creating a site, like fanedit.org, for preservations and promotional material discs and he said no but he's hoping somebody does because it would be an awesome thing. I suggested that a forum would work just as well and he told me to go for it. Now before I go through with it I want to know if anyone would be interested in such a forum and if so would you be willing to contribute some promotional material DVD's, preservations and/or workprints to it?

Here's how I see the forum looking like.

- General Chat

- Discussions
- Promotional Material Discs
- Preservations
- Workprints

- Downloads
- Promotional Material Discs
- Preservations
-Workprints

- Staff Business

So what do you guys think? Is this something you'd like to see happen and would you be willing to contribute some content?

Sounds awesome, and a little dangerous.

i'm in.

...and i'm open to the idea of "donating" with content once the model for doing so is discussed.

joebshmoe said:
i'm in.

...and i'm open to the idea of "donating" with content once the model for doing so is discussed.

By donating content I meant uploading promotional material and/or preservations you may have. I don't want to start a forum and end up being the only one to upload content.

I'm interested, but I'm not sure if I can contribute much.

I have contributed material for the planned The Dark Knight set. I also have a lot of exclusive Terminator stuff (see my last Terminator 2 3D 2DVD set for example), but this content will not be shared until my own planned discs are finished, which ofcourse will feature this content I have.

From other movies, I don't have stuff, so that's why I can't contribute much.

But I can imagine such a forum is great for people who are planning to make such special editions/preservations and are looking for the missing materials. Or just stumble into other people who have materials that they will never use themself, and these people can contribute....

could you give us a few exmaples of what you call a "Preservation" please.

Why start a whole new site? Why not just be active on the preservation and promotional forums on this site?

becouse we're not allowed to post links here.

Frantic Canadian said:
We don't necessarily need a website we could just get a forum, something free and easy like Invisionfree, and have a section for discussions about promotional discs, or special editions if you prefer, and preservations, and a section for downloads.

What do you think?

I second the Motion and third it as well!!!!

-DarthTron

P.S. I would be willing to help out in any way you need on the new site

AvP said:
could you give us a few exmaples of what you call a "Preservation" please.

Sure. By preservations I'm talking about movies, including tv movies, and tv shows that have never been officially released on DVD. For example The Star Wars Holiday Special and Howard The Duck. As for tv shows there's plenty of them have never been released and most likely won't due to early cancellation. I suppose we could also include better versions of films that are currently available on DVD. For example the film "Child's Play" is only available in a pan & scan version however there is a widescreen version available sourced from an HD broadcast. I'm also looking to include tv cuts of movies as well.

Might take Howard the Duck off of there, considering it has been released on DVD commercially. Not R1, but you would still be putting the forum at risk by having it on there. Best to stick to things that have no commercial release. Keep the other stuff in pm's.

reave said:
Might take Howard the Duck off of there, considering it has been released on DVD commercially. Not R1, but you would still be putting the forum at risk by having it on there. Best to stick to things that have no commercial release. Keep the other stuff in pm's.

I had no idea that it received a commercial release. And it wouldn't fall into the "a-better-quality-version-exists" category either because the ones I've seen listed are all VHS transfers. The first Child's Play film has been released officially in widescreen but not in North America. All we've got is the pan & scan version but I have seen a version sourced from an HD broadcast so I think that could be considered safe, or at least semi-safe.

I just wanted to let you guys know that I just created the forum and decided to call it "The Preservation Society" but there wasn't enough space so it's just "Preservation Society".

Here's the link: http://z10.invisionfree.com/Preservation_Society/

You need to register to be able to view the forum however but it is free.

There's only four rules.

1. Play nice.
2. No political discussions.
3. All uploads must be DVD.
4. No rapidshare.

Hope to see you guys there. :D

Sounds interesting. I think the biggest challenge would be generating enough interest to keep it going though.

no RS? As a rule? :wat:
anyway, it is cool you created that place.

boon23 said:
no RS? As a rule? :wat:
anyway, it is cool you created that place.

Yeah. I think it's unfair that while Rapidshare did remove the time restraints between downloads they also lowered the speed for free users considerably. What used to take about 5 minutes at most to download now takes 30-35 minutes. I think it's better for everyone to use Mediafire because the speed is great both ways, no time restraints, no download limits and you can download several files at once. And I'm glad to have you as a member.

well, the way I see it, what mediafire does is a promotion for their service to collect members. Hardly anything in this world comes for free. So I suspect mediafire soon to turn into a payservice as well, because it is impossible, they pay their bills from a few little ads. But let's hope I am wrong. Right now of course Mediafire is THE solution.

Signed up.

If you can, make frequent backups of the forum.

Back
Top Bottom