• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Flash Gordon - Saviour of the Earth Edition

Okay, Heres what i found (time marks based on what my dvd player said):

*0:13:40* during the rocket trip to mongo, there is a noticable cut in the music, I think you cut a close up shot from inside the rocket? The music doesn't join back up quite right and it stands out (I did the same thing when i made that FG serial trailer, at a different point however, them music cuts/joins can be a real pain). If you wanted to fix this all you would have to do is make a cut where the original edit you made was and remove some of the video from either side of that cut, highlight the audio and video to the left and move the highlighted clips closer and closer together, and listen each time you make an adjustment until the music joins back up "on the beat" if you know what im sayin'.

*1:30:13* right after Ming bites the dust and the hawkmen arrive, the cut from that to the celebration ending, that was what i was referring to earlier, because its kinda abrupt how the music kicks in, but compared to how the music sometimes kicks in at other points in the original film it is really not that different, actually its just fine as you have it now i think :)

The cut at the start with the starfield still stands out to me, lol, i really do think it can be smoother with some trickery, so that the stars dont snap off and the credits dont snap on if you know what i mean. Other than those minor things, your edit is pretty well flawless! I enjoyed it even more this time :)

Sorry if i caused any greif before, it was not my intention.

Rogue-theX said:
*1:30:13* right after Ming bites the dust and the hawkmen arrive, the cut from that to the celebration ending, that was what i was referring to earlier, because its kinda abrupt how the music kicks in, but compared to how the music sometimes kicks in at other points in the original film it is really not that different, actually its just fine as you have it now i think :)
Actually I think he didn't cut anything at that point! :noidea:

^ You could be right, like i said its kinda abrupt but not at the same time and its no different from other parts in the original.

Sorry if i caused any greif before, it was not my intention.

This. :)

Now now Dwight and Rogue no bickering :p hehe

Indeed I left the victory celebration pretty much untouched based on Dwight's suggestion, I wanted to de-cheese it but he keenly pointed out how flat the ending note felt if it was altered.

Oh and about the 13:40 jump I've re checked and it seems fine to me... perhaps another opinion could shed further insight :)

havok1977 said:
Oh and about the 13:40 jump I've re checked and it seems fine to me... perhaps another opinion could shed further insight :)
True, the music flow is a bit weird there, not because the cut is bad, it's properly crossfaded and everything, but because the musical progression is somewhat off. IIRC I even commented on it in a workprint. But it's nothing major anyway.

Dwight Fry said:
True, the music flow is a bit weird there, not because the cut is bad, it's properly crossfaded and everything, but because the musical progression is somewhat off. IIRC I even commented on it in a workprint. But it's nothing major anyway.

Thanks for checking Dwight, with that comment I'm going to let it remain as it is; mostly because I don't feel like dealing with the earlier megaupload issues again.

Will surely watch this one soon, as this movie was the kind of "movie-you-liked-so-much-when-you-were-kid-but-now-it's-really-dated-even-if-still-works-on-a-form-of-nostaligia".

And... Ornella Muti FTW!

tumblr_lovhk6eHpP1qllgt9o1_500.jpg

Ok, I just watched this one. I liked it.
Couple of weird sound transitions (music stops strangely right before the cut "football" fight scene for example), but nice overall.
There is of course still cheese in this edit, but it is Flash Gordon the movie... Cheese is part of it. And it is now just the right amount of it.
The color "correction" was a nice touch. Maybe a bit too much "flashy" red (made my eyes a bit tired by the end). Perhaps a bit of desaturation would have been nice.
The pace is excellent and it was a good nostalgia trip to watch this movie purged of the fat.
Maybe not a replacement disc for me, but worths a look.
8/10

Now. A funny thing I've seen on this movie.
Obviously from the original. Nothing to do with the editing work.

Here are two consecutive frames.....:
vts0140000001.jpg

vts0140000002.jpg

Damn, the Hawkmen attack was sudden! ;)

TMBTM said:
Ok, I just watched this one. I liked it.
Couple of weird sound transitions (music stops strangely right before the cut "football" fight scene for example), but nice overall.
There is of course still cheese in this edit, but it is Flash Gordon the movie... Cheese is part of it. And it is now just the right amount of it.
The color "correction" was a nice touch. Maybe a bit too much "flashy" red (made my eyes a bit tired by the end). Perhaps a bit of desaturation would have been nice.
The pace is excellent and it was a good nostalgia trip to watch this movie purged of the fat.
Maybe not a replacement disc for me, but worths a look.
8/10

Glad you liked it for the most part. With Dwight's help I did the best I could to un-cheese a cheese fest, and well I think its about the most that could be removed while still having a coherent story :)

I'm burning this tonight and should watch some time next week. TMBTM, those images are funny. I saw the exact same thing in Superman the Movie. During the destruction of Krypton sequence when everyone is falling into the metaphorical hell, they all suddenly disappear for a frame.

Flash! AAAAaaaaaa!!!

Somewhat unrelated to the edit, but I can't help but share this awesome news: a proper retelling of Flash Gordon is coming out soon!

The iconic legend Flash Gordon is making his dynamic splash back into comics with Dynamite Entertainment this November! Flash Gordon - Zeitgeist #1 is written by Eric Trautmann (Vampirella, Red Sonja), from a story and designs by Alex Ross (Project: Superpowers, Kingdom Come, Marvels), and illustrated by Daniel Lindro!

1314295053.jpg

Cool eh? :D

Read all about it: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=34085

I'm going to be real honest and say that I'm still having doubts downloading this edit because of the small faults that were listed. No offense havok. I still want to see it, because I supported your Wolverine cut, and I'd like to do so again with Flash. Can someone who's seen this tell me if it's worth the download?

Kal-El said:
I'm going to be real honest and say that I'm still having doubts downloading this edit because of the small faults that were listed. No offense havok.

None taken; so far the edit has 3 votes, average: 8.67 out of 10 on the main site... which is not too shabby if I say so myself. As it has been discussed many times, getting more viewers to give a rating can be a pain, but thats just how things are.

So yeah, everyone is welcome to chime in and let the community know what you make of all edits; guess thats one of the main reasons behind all of this, am I right?

Just because of your positive view on this, I'll give it a whirl :)

havok1977 said:
So yeah, everyone is welcome to chime in and let the community know what you make of all edits; guess thats one of the main reasons behind all of this, am I right?

stephen_tobolowsky_ned_ryerson_groundhogs_day.jpg

BING!

Do get this one, Kal. It's a little bit rough in spots, but overall it's very worthwhile. Some ideas are mine after all! ;)

Ouch! It seems to have been removed again. Try reuploading it without the words "Flash Gordon" in the name (aren't copyright watchdogs adorable?)

Back
Top Bottom