• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

DVD Chapter Stops - Pros and Cons

boon23 said:
and What is the reason for that?
It's quicker to grab. That's it. If "grabbers" are the preferred audience of a faneditor, he is doing everything right. But he should not expect a lot of responses from them.

Is that why people create fanedits? To get responses? Some sort of validation of your work? Certainly not me. And what's this about "preferred audience"? I don't get it. Are there some people you'd rather have see it than others? Are people who comment on fanedits a "more worthy" audience than people who simply watch, enjoy and may have never even heard of this site?

boon23 said:
Some respected faneditors here release as true DVD with full comfort AND as avi for a fast download or preview, but in the end I am quite sure that they all are proud, when the true DVDs they created with such craftsmanship are downloaded and commented on. A piece of art. A worthy presentation.

Absolutely.

boon23 said:
It's easy to be cheap, but what do people expect to get from it?

It's quite possible that some people just want their edits to be seen by the widest possible audience. The audience at large does not care about all the minute technical issues being discussed here. Plain and simple, if you're truly looking to please the audience (and that's what everyone here has been criticizing me for not doing - and apparently I'm egotistical and arrogant for not doing so), you should release a bare bones divx.

boon23 said:
And what is the fanedit community? Is it the guys who collect movies in every version they can find or the ones who just download everything, but maybe never watch it? To me the fanedit community are the ones who are actively participating with comments, with ratings, with ideas and suggestions. This is what makes them a community. Passive, silent downloaders have just one thing in common: grabbing stuff and leave no traces. I don't think this counts for a community.

That's a very elitist attitude. Just because someone doesn't post "5/5 best fanedit evar" on here doesn't discount their enjoyment (or lack thereof) of an edit. You may never know what they thought about your edit, but if the reason for making the edit is to get a response, then I think your priorities are out of whack. Out of the hundreds of times my edits have been downloaded, you're the only one who has bothered to do a proper review of them. And honestly, I could care less that no one else has bothered. It's nice to see responses, but that's far, far down on the list of my reasons for creating an edit.

Or maybe my priorities are out of whack. Maybe people here do create edits in order to get some kind of validation of their work. What do I know?

...and I really hoped YOU were done when you said you were done commenting...
I am sure I was not addressing you at all, adabisi.

boon23 said:
...and I really hoped YOU were done when you said you were done commenting...
I am sure I was not addressing you at all, adabisi.

You were not addressing me at all, yet you were responding to exactly what I said. Uh-huh. OK.....

This is going nowhere.

Let's just leave it at that. For real this time.

i don't even understand why this is an argument.

people have preferences that fit their personality. we aren't all the same, so our opinions aren't either. that is ok.

an AVI file, by the nature of the format, is minimalistic.

a DVD, by the nature of the format, is NOT minimalistic, but CAN be. most prefer a fun visual and audible experience - HELL THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT OF FILM.

in the days of VHS it was just the movie. with laserdisc came commentaries and extra features - even WIDESCREEN!!! (OH THE HORROR). and with DVD came a GAUNTLET of extras.

(ok you could argue here that criterion/janus films started everything on VHS, too. but that is kinda cheating.)

that is why we see commentaries, small features, trailers, deleted scenes, montages and more ON A FANEDIT DVD. they are replicating the DVD medium that currently exists.

we are now - as consumers - EXPECTING from our entertainment MUCH more than just the main course.

if you aren't into that... it is totally fine by me. just don't blab on and on about it. it is a boring discussion.

When I first watched Mulhulland Drive, I was nearing the end and the phone rang. I tried to press pause, but accidentally pressed eject. When I came back to my movie I was frustrated beyond words that the next chapter button didn't worked. I had to fast forward at x6 for something like 15 minutes just to get to the end.

It was just plain frustrating. I like Lynch's movies and can understand him wanting people to watch his movies all the way through, but to try to *force* people to do it is more than a bit inconsiderate. Why make things difficult for the viewer? Thankfully he can't make it so the pause button doesn't work.

Not trying to continue the argument. Just giving my 2 cents.

Mullholland (sp?) Drive was the first and last Lynch movie I watched. The lack of chapter stops really ticked me off.

blick57 said:
Mullholland (sp?) Drive was the first and last Lynch movie I watched. The lack of chapter stops really ticked me off.
I think the last Lynch film I watched was was his recent Inland Empire - I thought the lack of chapter stops in Elephant Man was bad enough, but watching IE without chapter stops... well, that just drove my brain into a brickwall of madness. :twisted:

Y'all know you can also just jump ahead with time-search, right?

Yeah, but it's much easier to use chapter stops, at least on my player.

My first fanedit (finished, but not released yet) has not only chapter breaks but also Main/Chapters/Subtitles menus with background music, and It was pleasure for me to create them.

if somebody refuse to add something as basic as chapter breaks...well...If the fanedit looks very interesting for me I will add them myself, but If I'm in no REAL need to watch it, I will just leave it. If the editor cant spend some time to add something like this, which is no real problem I won't spend time on downloading it. Talking about "the way of presenting film" is a total BS for me. We're not living in stoneage (or VHS-age to be exact), DVDs are supposed to have: menus, and chapter breaks because they're not avi files and that's the way it is.

Enson said:
If the editor cant spend some time to add something like this, which is no real problem I won't spend time on downloading it.
No offense, but then you are the one who misses out, not the editor. You won't get to see what may have otherwise been an edit you'd really enjoy.

As i said before - If i find edit interesting enough to download, I will add chapter breaks myself.

If a film is to be watched all the way through, then, am I not allowed to press pause while I top up my tea?

ohmss said:
If a film is to be watched all the way through, then, am I not allowed to press pause while I top up my tea?

make a flask :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all movies meant to be watched the whole way through?

JMB said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all movies meant to be watched the whole way through?

That's what I always understood. It's not like the movie pauses for a second or two at chapter stops, either. There's been several occasions where I've had to restart a movie in a different room (for whatever reason) and more often than not I'd be far enough in that fast-forwarding would be out of the question. It's a matter of convenience for the viewer. You're of course not obligated to do so, but it's really appreciated.

would you read a book...if all text was on one page?

AvP said:
would you read a book...if all text was on one page?
Wouldn't that be called a pamphlet or flyer instead of a book? :-?

Back
Top Bottom