• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

DVD Chapter Stops - Pros and Cons

JasonN said:
So if you think those things aren't needed, why not just release the edit as an dvix/xvid-encoded AVI file rather than a full dvd? (just curious)

I've done just that with all my releases. A full DVD for people who want full audio and video quality and an xvid for people who don't mind sacrificing audio and video quality for a quicker download.

See... in some cases I do care about the audience's wants :)

Mollo said:
Oh dear I think someone is looking for a reaction!

I'm not trolling for a reaction at all. But can anyone honestly say chapter stops are more important than major plot holes? Menus are more important than audio sync issues? A DVD cover is more important than rough, noticeable edits?

I'm just saying, in the grand scheme of things, menus and chapter stops are a minor thing.

[spoiler:3r2gwren]Boo![/spoiler:3r2gwren]

All the minor and major things add to a complete experience and everything missing takes from it.
It's that easy.

To ask for a better standard is always ok. And there is a great example for that: JasonN.
For many months people have been waiting fro a DVD release of Matrix Evolutions fanedit. And now they seem to be all excited and happy that it is there. It is getting a lot of attention, because he took real care with this release.
The very same goes for faneditors releasing a version 2 or even 3 of their works, just for the best possible version, taking into account the comments and the criticism from the audience. That's the great thing about fanedits. That's the wonderful thing about this community. We help each other to improve on what we do.
Hardly anyone that came here was perfect from the beginning. It took learning from errors, accepting common standards and wishes and learning that an audience sees and senses more than the faneditor himself.
And the result are very nice works which entertain a big group of people.
The way I understand fanedit.org is not just a showcase for all fanedits, but a center to meet, discuss, learn and improve to deliver the best possible works we can. So far this works just fine.
And yes, there are always exceptions... and I could name some but I won't.

I once made the mistake of burning one of my own edits for screentesting without adding any chapters.
I was so annoyed at myself, you can't watch the damn thing properly!

So...a dvd without chapters = fail. I might not even watch it just because of that.

Wow, my first thread to go over a page, I think. I've enjoyed reading this discussion.

As I stated before, personally I really need chapter stops because I often have to break up the movie into more than one viewing session. As far as the other stuff goes:

I love nice menus. I don't think a great menu design is necessary but I definitely need at least a static simple menu rather than the movie starting right off. But I really enjoy when people do a creative menu.

I love chapter selection screens. When I come back for part 2 of a viewing, it's much easier to use the chapter selection screen than to either chapter forward a bunch of times or use the player skip to a chapter function (it's not as straightforward as it should be on my player).

Subtitles elevate things a whole 'nother level for me. I usually am watching with a sleeping toddler in the house, so subtitles that allow me to keep the sound down are golden. An edit where the dialogue isn't overwhelmed by music or sound effects is also very helpful in this regard.

And finally, I only watch DVD versions, on my TV. No computer viewing for me.

I'm sorry to have to do this, but I see no choice.

I hereby nominate this thread for the first annual "Golden Pretzel" award for twisted logic.

gp.jpg

JMB said:
I'm sorry to have to do this, but I see no choice.

I hereby nominate this thread for the first annual "Golden Pretzel" award for twisted logic.

gp.jpg

Pretzel logic.... You keep using those words....

inconceivable.jpg

Well, since I clearly don't know what I am saying and since you are so smart, why don't you tell us all what it means then?

time to jump thread methinks.

All right, I've stayed out of this thread for now but I think it's about time I intervened. As a moderator.

Adabasi, each of your posts in this thread contains incredibly arrogant and egoistical comments. I really have no idea why you came here if you're not even going to try to agree to disagree with everybody else and leave it at that. This is meant to be a peaceful discussion forum for the creation and reviewing of fanedits, and you seem intent on derailing it because your opinion is obviously more important than anyone else's.

Stop thinking of yourself as the next David Lynch or Harper Lee. This is a small-time amateur website. We make edits because we love to, not because we want to be internet famous. You will not find fame or fortune here.

This thread has degenerated into a pointless argument. I will leave it open for now but if this continues to be an unconstructive argy-bargy then I will just close it. Or break out the MS Paints.

Ghostcut said:
All right, I've stayed out of this thread for now but I think it's about time I intervened. As a moderator.

Adabasi, each of your posts in this thread contains incredibly arrogant and egoistical comments. I really have no idea why you came here if you're not even going to try to agree to disagree with everybody else and leave it at that. This is meant to be a peaceful discussion forum for the creation and reviewing of fanedits, and you seem intent on derailing it because your opinion is obviously more important than anyone else's.

Stop thinking of yourself as the next David Lynch or Harper Lee. This is a small-time amateur website. We make edits because we love to, not because we want to be internet famous. You will not find fame or fortune here.

This thread has degenerated into a pointless argument. I will leave it open for now but if this continues to be an unconstructive argy-bargy then I will just close it. Or break out the MS Paints.

OK Ghostcut, let me see if I've got this straight.

As moderator, you felt it was about time to intervene and bump a thread that's been dead for 2 weeks. All for the sole purpose of insulting me.

And all this from the fact that I have a different opinion than most and I defend my decisions.

And I'm the one who's arrogant and egotistical?

Nicely done.

Keep up the good work.

There's a difference between defending your decisions and the inability to reason with others.
Additionally if you don't change your tone you won't be posting here much longer.
Yes, Adabasi, you ARE the one being arrogant and egoistical here. I didn't see the date, I saw a discussion that got out of hand. So don't insult me for doing a moderator's job.

ok... it is pretty clear that no one agrees with you, adabasi.

just deal with it. most people LIKE chapter stops, a menu of some kind, and extra content with the movies that they purchase.

if you DO NOT enjoy these things then that is COMPLETELY fine. just realize that you are the minority and your opinion isn't shared by anyone else here. you have been very hostile and argumentative and it is completely useless to argue about it.

Ghostcut said:
There's a difference between defending your decisions and the inability to reason with others.
Additionally if you don't change your tone you won't be posting here much longer.
Yes, Adabasi, you ARE the one being arrogant and egoistical here. I didn't see the date, I saw a discussion that got out of hand. So don't insult me for doing a moderator's job.

Wow, now threats of being banned. All because a few people don't like the technical aspects of my edits and I simply don't agree with them. Funny thing is, there were more insults hurled my way than anything. I suppose that's fine, but if I choose to defend myself then that's frowned upon.

Some of you guys take this stuff way too seriously.

I'm sorry that my edits don't fit into the nice little unalterable mold of what an edit should look like around here.

I'm sorry that I have a different opinion than the majority.

I'm sorry I tried to defend myself.

Can I stay now?

joebshmoe said:
ok... it is pretty clear that no one agrees with you, adabasi.

just deal with it. most people LIKE chapter stops, a menu of some kind, and extra content with the movies that they purchase.

if you DO NOT enjoy these things then that is COMPLETELY fine. just realize that you are the minority and your opinion isn't shared by anyone else here. you have been very hostile and argumentative and it is completely useless to argue about it.

I was more than happy to let this die. It's a silly, trivial argument. Ghostcut felt the need to resurrect it, not me.

One last point and I won't have any more to say:

On this board I'm clearly in the minority, but the fanedit community at large shares my sentiment. Try releasing an edit in full DVD format with menus, chapters, artwork and extras via torrent. At the same time, release a bare bones divx. I can pretty much guarantee the divx will get at least twice as many downloads as the DVD. If you don't believe me, try it.

and What is the reason for that?
It's quicker to grab. That's it. If "grabbers" are the preferred audience of a faneditor, he is doing everything right. But he should not expect a lot of responses from them.
Some respected faneditors here release as true DVD with full comfort AND as avi for a fast download or preview, but in the end I am quite sure that they all are proud, when the true DVDs they created with such craftsmanship are downloaded and commented on. A piece of art. A worthy presentation.
It's easy to be cheap, but what do people expect to get from it?

And what is the fanedit community? Is it the guys who collect movies in every version they can find or the ones who just download everything, but maybe never watch it? To me the fanedit community are the ones who are actively participating with comments, with ratings, with ideas and suggestions. This is what makes them a community. Passive, silent downloaders have just one thing in common: grabbing stuff and leave no traces. I don't think this counts for a community.

Back
Top Bottom