• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

DC Comics Animated Films

So I just started watching the DC Animated movies again. I hadn't watched any after Superman: Doomsday because I was so disappointed, being a huge fan of the graphic novel.

I'm starting with the Batman centric ones and thought Batman: The Dark Knight Returns was pretty good, the last 30 minutes or so were awesome. I really liked Batman: Assault on Arkham but I thought Batman: Under the Red Hood was amazing.

I'm glad I gave the DC Animated Universe a second chance. Any recommendations what I should watch next?

I would recommend avoiding anything where Batman is played by Jason Mara. That's the "New52" Batman voice actor guy. The New52 style Justice League and Batman movies so far have been really lacking.

Needs more Bruce Timm.

Good to know, thanks. I just got Son of Batman which looks like it's voiced by Jason O'Mara. I'll make sure to take your advice after this :)

You've pretty much watched the best Batman Animated DCU flicks ("Dark Knight Returns" and "Under the Red Hood"). I would recommend "Batman: Year One" as it's another adaptation of a classic Miller story. Also, earlier Batman animated movies I suggest (if you haven't seen) are "Mask of the Phantasm" and "Return of the Joker" (<-- the best Batman Animated movie I've seen).

"Son of Batman" is ok and the sequel "Batman vs. Robin" is a little weaker.

I have seen Mask of the Phantasm but haven't seen Return of the Joker. I will definitely make sure to check that out.

I recently watched a motion-comic of 'Red Son' that was streaming on Amazon. It was well done with decent voice acting and well executed animation and framing on the stills. You almost forget that it's a motion-comic. I'd love to see that get turned into a movie someday.

I remembered one I could recommend! The 2009 Wonder Woman animated film is so well done, they could have literally just taken the script and shot it for a live action film and would have won some awards. It's great.

I did some Google searching and came across an article listing the 6 must see DC Animated movies. They listed Wonder Women as number one. I've only seen two on the list so I think I'll work my way through those first with the addition of Batman: Year One.

Here's the list, if you don't want to read the article.

1) Wonder Women (2009)
2) Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
3) Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
4) Justice League: The New Frontier
5) Batman: Assault On Arkham
6) Superman/Batman: Apocalypse

I picked up and watched JUSTICE LEAGUE: GODS AND MONTSTERS last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is an alternate universe story... Superman is the son of General Zod and raised my immigrant Mexican workers, Batman is Kirk Langstrom and is an actual Vampire and Wonder Woman is a warrior from Jack Kirby's Fourth World.

Anything with Bruce Timm at the helm I like; even his weaker entries are better than the recent New52 animated features imo -- both Justice League War and Throne of Atlantis were very bland.

Like many of the more recent DCU Animated Movies (the various Batman & JL), this Bruce Timm original creation is very, very violent. But unlike those other flicks, this one is rich in character and story. I hope this dvd does well, as I would be very interested in revisiting this new universe for more adventures.

My favourite DC Animated Features and recommendations would include (in no particular order)

--Justice League Doom
--Wonder Woman
--Justice League The New Frontier
--Superman Unbound
--Batman Red Hood
--Superman/Batman Public Enemies & Apocalypse
--Justice League Crisis on Two Earths

Return of the Joker is indeed wonderful. I found the rest of the Batman Beyond stuff really boring, but that story uses its future setting to tell a story steeped in animated Batman lore that couldn't be told any other way. It's a rich character piece that's also very exciting, and the payoff is very satisfying.

I also really enjoyed The Batman/Superman Movie: World's Finest, technically a 3-part episode of the Superman animated series turned into a movie, but it doesn't feel like it. All previous animated incarnations of Superman and Batman portrayed them as best buddies; this was the first story to get into the deep conflict between the characters, even though they do ultimately accept each other.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169590/

First look at "The Killing Joke" in this 10 minute featurette.

OMG this looks so good.

So my Top DC films are:
Justice League: The New Frontier
Batman: Under the Red Hood
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
Son of Batman
Justice League: Gods and Monsters

My Top Batman films are:
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Return of the Joker
Mystery of the Batwoman
The Batman vs. Dracula

Trying decide if I am going to pick this up or not.
This review still leaves me on the fence....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmLcUhVw3rw[/video]

I just thought it was funny on page 1 there's talk of TDKR and how they wouldn't release it as a single featurette outside of the 2 parts but it actually did happen.

I bought the Deluxe Edition not long ago, the blu ray is multi regional and has some pretty nice features on there including a commentary :D

I wasn't a fan of TKJ and sold my disc today after watching it once. I'm so hard pressed to find DC animated films I like lately. The second of viewing of Assault on Arkham didn't hold up as well as the first time, maybe i'll appreciate it a little more once I've seen the suicide squad movie :p

This looks fun!  :D

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=18&v=FBrPQYTuvMI[/video]

bionicbob said:
This looks fun!  :D

i posted about this movie a couple of hours ago in 2018 movies thread. In the film, Batman joins forces with Scooby-Doo and his pals Shaggy, Fred, Daphne, and Velma after villains from both of their worlds unite to wreak havoc on the city.In addition to classic DC villains like Joker, Catwoman, Riddler, Penguin, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn, the movie will also feature several friendly faces, including the likes of Aquaman, Plastic Man, The Question and Martian Manhunter. The crew will also have to contend with Scooby-Doo troublemakers like Ghost Clown, Spooky Space Kook, Gentleman Ghost, and Miner 49er.

There will also be two animated feature length movies  called "batman ninja" and "gotham by gaslight" released in early 2018 but no trailers yet

Back
Top Bottom