• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

DC Comics Animated Films

been hearing some more about the next movie in the lineup Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox. I have to say that it sounds like it'll be a pretty awesome film. Plus it's one of the longer films in running time, which is always awesome. And it'll be cool to see Flashpoint Batman. (That was one of my favorite things about the whole Flashpoint event in the comics.)

Also may be watching a triple feature of Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, and Superman: Unbound.

I also hope that WB/DC end up adapting Hush and Knightfall trilogy. Those would be really awesome to see animated.

Prepare thy self for a grumpy old comic fan rant!!! :yell:

I watched this latest release this morning and the whole time I kept asking myself why I wasted my money?

I did not care for the Justice League ORIGIN storyline when originally released and I cared for this adaptation even less. For me this movie perfectly encapsulates everything I dislike about the New52 DC Universe.

It does feel or play like the DC Universe. It is more like the Marvel Universe on Image steroids.

Wonder Woman talks like Thor and is a one dimensional sword wielding warrior, whose first instinct is to kick ass and kill. There is no Messenger of Peace to this new version.
Green Lantern is a complete over compensating hot head.
Superman is nobody's role model or inspiration.
They replaced Aquaman (who is one of few New52 character they finally got right) with Shazam (that's right, they call him Shazam now, not Captain Marvel...facepalm!...)... as Billy he is not very likable and as Cap...uh I mean Shazam, he is an idiot, where is the wisdom of Solomon? And how can he introduce himself as Shazam and not transform back to Billy???

Batman is... well, Batman.

Flash was really well done.

Cyborg was by far the most interesting character.

But I HATE the hero costumes redesigns both in the comic and the animated movie. Everyone has partial armor, shoulder pads and high neck collars. They all apparently shop as the same Image Comics used costume store.

And like the comic story it is based on, the movie goes on waaaayyyyyyy too long... never thought I would say that about a DC animated flick! But it just feels like one endless Parademon fight after another.

And OMG how could they screw up Darksied so badly?!?!?? One of the most powerful and complicated villains DC has ever created comes across as zero dimensional cardboard throw away badguy!

The chosen animation style is okay, nothing special, refreshing or exciting... everyone seems to have the same pointy chin...

And the voice work for most of the characters was functional at best.

After so many brilliant animated releases in the past and the Justice League cartoon series, this latest effort is a major disappointment and failure in book.

Still can't believe I paid money for this! :rant:

Can't agree more! I haven't been reading the comics, but I agree with everything else you pointed out. It was one endless fight scene and I actually found myself BORED and FALLING ASLEEP!

The only thing I will disagree with you on Bob is the voice work. I thought it was terrible. Maybe I'm just so used to the JL series, but these voices made the whole production feel even more juvenile.

I read somewhere that this was supposed to be the start of a shared DC animated universe.

Lame.

musiced921 said:
I read somewhere that this was supposed to be the start of a shared DC animated universe.

Great Krypton! NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frusty:

Yep, JL: War is the start of a shared DC Animated verse. Which is okay. As I was thinking bout things, I've been looking forward to Son of Batman. It feels like a Nu52 take on the events from the comics. I'm hoping that we'd get to see a take on the Knightfall saga still. As well as RIP. Which I think that Knightfall and RIP could go well together if they got the right script for it.

On side note, had a chance to watch Beware the Batman. Its a really solid show for sure. Refreshing take on bat-mythos too. Having Alfred as an ex-MI6 Agent is pretty awesome as well. I'd highly recommend it.

Has anyone watched this yet???

I was so disappointed with JL WAR that I am reluctant to pick it up on a blind buy. The few reviews I have read seem to be luke warm. Any comments or reviews.... ???

There shall be review coming for this from me. Picked it up the other day. Pretty much going to end up probably doing a review for Batman and Son, Assault on Arkham, and this together. So stay tuned.

And what's everyones thoughts on the upcoming Batman vs. Robin? I can say that I'm gonna be looking forward to this. It'll be interesting to see the Court of Owls adapted a little bit. I mean be really cool to see Batman going up against the Talons as well. As much as the New 52 kinda bums me out in the comics, the Scott Snyder Batman stuff is pretty solid. Highly recommend it to those looking for some good stories. Maybe we'll get to see Death of the Family brought in. That'd be pretty cool to see an animated Batman film with the Batfamily going up against the Joker. (Really the last two animated films with the Joker going up against Batman are Mask of the Phantasm and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, Assault on Arkham would say includes a small fight between it. But that's mostly a suicide squad film overall.)

bionicbob said:
Has anyone watched this yet???

I was so disappointed with JL WAR that I am reluctant to pick it up on a blind buy. The few reviews I have read seem to be luke warm. Any comments or reviews.... ???

I didn't see JL: War, but I just watched Throne of Atlantis, and everything you said about War goes for that movie too. I''m not up to speed with the comics but it all felt wrong to me. Green Lanern can't keep his mouth shut. Captain Marvel (sorry Shazam), acts like a child all the time. Superman and Wonder Woman have the personality of cardboard. Batman knows everything and is the only character who is remotely competent.

The animation was pretty slick, but that's about it. The story was pretty naff and predictable. I'll stick to the Justice League and JLU TV show.

booshman said:
I''m not up to speed with the comics but it all felt wrong to me.

That's the general feeling towards the New 52 era of DC in general. At least we're getting about two months of material from the older continuities this summer

It felt like watching a sort of adaptation of Thor, but with Aquaman, it was moderately enjoyable, I've not enjoyed much of the DCAU films for a while, starting with flashpoint, I enjoyed Assault on Arkham but that wasn't really based in the new 52 timeline but the Arkham videogames verse (Although Deadshot was nothing like his game counterpart.)

Assault on Arkham was entertaining but it was lacking in character development and never had any real thrills. I think the DCAU train has been going on full-speed for some time now whereas in the past they used to drive slower to enjoy the scenery ;-)

The first one that represented that dip in quality, to me, was Superman: Unbound. It was enjoyable but it lacked the spirit of some of the older Superman animated features.
The Flashpoint Paradox picked it up again with an entertaining storyline and then War went all downhill again. That was the worst by far. Son of Batman was bland and Assault on Arkham had the unfortunate fact it had to depend on the villains to entertain the audience, which never really came off. The biggest thrill for me was when Batman was undercover and I was waiting to see how that would play out, as predictable as it was (him being in the suit).

So the last few DC animated flicks were pretty dismal imo, but I once again have high hopes as BRUCE TIMM RETURNS with this very fun new slant....
GODS AND MONSTERS arrives on dvd on June 28

In the meantime, Machinima will launch a prequel on June 8th...

AWESOOOOOME!!!!:-D Show 'em how it's done, Bruce!! :-D :-D

The only thing I didn't like (and still don't understand) were the jaw lines on Superman's face, much like in Superman: Doomsday. Makes him look... old.

"The Killing Joke" will get the DC Universe Animated Movie treatment!

http://www.slashfilm.com/batman-killing-joke-movie/

The Killing Joke movie is one of three announced this weekend as part of upcoming DC Universe Animated Original Movies slate. The others are Batman: Bad Blood, which is not an adaptation of that Taylor Swift music video but rather an original tale featuring Batwoman; and Justice League vs. Titans, another original tale. All three will be released direct to video in 2016.
<snip>

Though the basic plot is a familiar one to most Bat-fans, the Batman: The Killing Joke movie will include a new 15-minute prologue that helps set up the story.
<snip>

Like most of the other DC Universe Animated Original Movies, Batman: The Killing Joke will be executive produced byBruce Timm. No other cast or crew has been announced.

Neglify said:
Like most of the other DC Universe Animated Original Movies, Batman: The Killing Joke will be executive produced byBruce Timm. No other cast or crew has been announced.

Mark Hamill has stated that he would definitely voice Mr. J should The Killing Joke be done. I would consider that a lock and, because of that, you can expect anybody who was from the animated series to reprise their respective roles.

Kirestananderson01 said:
I don't see why they can't run a bit longer.
get-off-my-lawn.jpg

beezo said:
Mark Hamill has stated that he would definitely voice Mr. J should The Killing Joke be done. I would consider that a lock and, because of that, you can expect anybody who was from the animated series to reprise their respective roles.

Yep, Collider reports that Mark Hamill has already finished recording the Joker's voice for it.

Back
Top Bottom