• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

David Lynch Blu Ray News

TM2YC said:
The poetic and majestic theatrical cut of 'Dune' was Lynch's cut, unless I'm mistaken. There was a longer rough and totally unfinished workprint but that's not the same thing (And that god awful Alan Smithee cut). I wasn't aware of 'Wild at heart' being interfered with?

Oh and I'd put 'Fire Walk With Me' in 3rd place (Behind Dune and WAH) out of all his films.

Wild at Heart wasn't interfered with, that's exactly my point. David created his own interference when he wrote a script for a sprawling four hour plus movie, presumably knowing no distributor in their right mind would want to release such a long version of such a non-epic film. Why did he do this? I don't know, but in my opinion Wild at Heart has the unfortunate feel of having seemingly random pieces removed, unlike Blue Velvet and even FWwM where every cut made sense. With FWwM he cut the sprawl and instead focused the film on Laura when he cut it down. Good choice. Wild at Heart is still a good film, but I believe it could have been a lot better (unlike the others).

Dune is a different story. It's technically his cut, but when the producers changed their minds mid-filming and wanted a shorter cut, he more or less had two options: go off in a huff and theatrically release an Alan Smithee film, or try to cut it down himself. He chose the latter, partly because he secured funding for Blue Velvet as part of the deal. He is not happy with the theatrical cut of Dune, and he refuses to revisit it because it was a bad experience. Personally, I didn't really like Dune until I saw one of the extended fanedits (which more or less follows Lynch's script).

If you like these cuts, more power to you! They're not bad, and they're still Lynch's final cuts, he just had time limits imposed on him.

Will the Q2 Extended Edition have chapter marks?

tumblr_moig7xltb51rlaapio4_1280.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...ire_walk_with_me_coming_on_box_set_video.html

Check it, kids.

New all-conquering Twin Peaks box set includes 90 FREAKING MINUTES of never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes from Lynch's 1990 film Fire Walk With Me.

A fan editing dream me thinks.

Or possibly a fanediting nightmare, given that the original film's narrative is pretty surreal. Would be fun deciding where to re-insert some of the material, unless the original shooting script can be found online somewhere.

I can't wait to see this footage. :)

theslime said:
If you like these cuts, more power to you! They're not bad, and they're still Lynch's final cuts, he just had time limits imposed on him.

Orson Welles — "The absence of limitations is the enemy of art"

;-)

theslime said:
He is not happy with the theatrical cut of Dune, and he refuses to revisit it because it was a bad experience. Personally, I didn't really like Dune until I saw one of the extended fanedits (which more or less follows Lynch's script).

But seriously, it's the beautiful/mysterious/poetic/dreamlike/operatic way that Lynch told the story in 'Dune' through editing, sound, music and especially Kyle MacLachlan's voiceover. It's like we are never sure if what we are seeing is real or we are still in Paul's dreams and visions. I've seen one of the extended cuts and interesting as it was, it turned 'Dune' into a film, not an arthouse poem on a grand scale, just a conventional film and less than the sum of it's parts. I know Lynch doesn't like 'Dune' because he had to compromise some of his original vision to make it shorter but I think that's where his genius really showed, maybe one day he'll see that.

The shooting script is indeed available, and the deleted scenes should be easily inserted where they were meant to go. (With a couple of exceptions since Lynch made up some scenes after the available script draft.) There's even a detailed breakdown on what was filmed and where it should go on Dugpa.com. Recommended reading!

Also, there's another thread here.

I respect those who like Dune, but to me the epic scale is not what Lynch does well. And since all his films before and since Dune has had a really private, intimate quality, I think he agrees (which doesn't prove or mean anything about quality, it's just interesting to me).

Also, it's interesting that Orson Welles said that considering he is probably the single most fucked-over filmmaker in history, and as a result only has a handful of good movies to his name. ;)

Oh sweet. Thanks for the info.

Don't know if I'll be the one to take this on, but I'm sure someone here at FE.org will. ;)

[MENTION=5815]spicediver[/MENTION], if you don't, I might do this myself. Unless someone else calls dibs on it, that is.

Dwight Fry said:
spicediver, if you don't, I might do this myself. Unless someone else calls dibs on it, that is.

No, I won't claim it. Best it goes to someone here with a bit more time on their hands in 2014. I'll happily contribute and give feedback on clips, etc. if someone starts a project.

Q2 already said he would do one in the other thread.

I have another edit idea, btw: The movie, as is, with only Laura-related material added. That means - I believe - only a couple of scenes:

The Palmer dinner scene
Laura meeting a woman outside her house (an extension of the first Bob scene)
Laura at the Haywards
On the way to Partyland
Laura and Jacoby

I believe that would be amazing. Adding Harry, Josie, Pete, Big Ed, etc will be really cool, but ultimately distracting.

Threads merged.

Neglify said:
Will the Q2 Extended Edition have chapter marks?

If I must.

I was waiting for this set so I could start with the highest quality and finish my season 2 edit (the sequel to Q2/s Northwest Passage).

Q2 said:
Lynch doesn't like chapter breaks; he feels a movie should be enjoyed from beginning to end, and not broken up like a book.

I never have and never will understand his art.

jswert123456 said:
I was waiting for this set so I could start with the highest quality and finish my season 2 edit (the sequel to Q2/s Northwest Passage).

I would like to see a true HD version of Northwest Passage come out now that the Blu-Ray has officially been announce and dated. Followed up by the extended edition of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

Thankfully it comes out 10 days after by birthday so I'll have the money to buy it.

I would LOVE to help out Q2 or anyone else working on an extended edit for Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, if anyone needs help.

Specifically, I have a history of creating Twin Peaks cover art, and have collector's quality high-res image of a bunch of Twin Peaks things. (Some of them *really* rare. Did you notice that the studio chose not one, but TWO low-resolution images for the cover of the new set! They don't have the Laura homecoming photo in high-res, and the dead Laura photo underneath is a screenshot, not one of the two dead Laura photos that exist.)

Also, I ran the Twin Peaks Festival for 9 years, which is a weekend-long event that takes place where the show was filmed and even gets about 5 or 6 actors to appear every year. You'll see me interviewed heavily in the Return to Twin Peaks featurette about the festival on the complete series gold box DVD set (which will be appearing on the new set as well).

Some background on cover art I've created: Back in 2001, a DVD of the Twin Peaks pilot episode was release in Taiwan, before any season or series set was available. Soon after that was release, the first season was released on DVD, but in the US our first season release didn't have the pilot episode! I quickly turned around a custom cover that matched the set. Next thing I know my cover was appearing on boot leg's of the pilot episode all over the world, even though I had no involvement.
Here's a link to that cover: http://jaredlyon.deviantart.com/art/Twin-Peaks-The-Pilot-Episode-custom-cover-art-454268308
Funny enough, my cover from 2001 is the first instance of the "dead laura photo underneath" theme that this new Blu-ray set uses for their cover.

When FWWM was released on DVD, I made a cover for that to match the season 1 and season 2 DVD sets (the complete series set wasn't yet released). That custom cover started appearing everywhere as well! I've even seen it for sale on Amazon as one of the official posters, which it clearly wasn't!

I even made a simple alternate cover for Northwest Passage, using the correct font and coloring to match the Twin Peaks text from the intro credits (the cover on here uses the FWWM font color and styling).

Most recently, I made a poster called Purgatory, which merges the worlds of Twin Peaks meets The Shining. It has been shared around the internet like crazy in the last year:
http://jaredlyon.deviantart.com/art/Purgatory-367308218

Basically, I'm not trying to toot my own horn, just show that I'm a big fan, have some skill, and would love to help!

In terms of the "fully extended" edit, we clearly have a great blue print already for how to edit it all together because of the shooting script and the Dugpa.com breakdown, so that's great. One thing I do worry about though, is that I believe the 90 minutes of deleted scenes are going to be all edited together similar to how Inland Empire had a "Other things that happened" featurette. If that is the case, they might be putting soundtrack across multiple cuts/scenes, so that might cause some unforeseen problems.

Anyway, sorry for such a long post. I'm way excited for this release, and hope I can help out.

Back
Top Bottom