• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Chronological Back to the Future by Marty McSuperFly

Hey everyone. Sorry for the long silence... it's been a strange few months.
Well, I came back with much vigor and intensity, very eagerly looking forward to revising this fanedit to Version 2.0 supplanting my old raw wmv files with new high resolution rips from the dvd's following ADigitalMan's outline on fanedits...

Only to find that the really crappy wmv program I had originally used to rip the dvd's created the files in a 25fps frame rate. I am stupified...

I had really hoped to just import the new files into the project, drag each of my edited clips under the high res files, sync them, then cut them to the same length. But this rediculous turn of events has completely shot me.

Anyone have any thoughts? It seems to me that my only recourse is to go clip by clip, watching where one ends, then attempting to cut my new high res files at the same point. I almost always cut the scenes at their ending point, which I suppose is something...
God, it just seems like a crapload of work.

I know you've all been patient with me, waiting for me to re-up this. And I really wanted a finer quality video and in surround sound.
I have the original video file and dvd structure of my old edit; but be honest, do any of you want to watch that?

ok, everyone... I've finally thwarted my laziness, and, though i will have to do it frame by frame due to my original edit's crapfest of raw footage, have begun working on CBTTF version 2.0

This new version will feature higher quality video (instructed by AdigitalMan's editor outline), corrected frame rate, and a full surround sound audio track.
I'm quoting a two week period to complete, as I am working from my original project file; but I honestly don't know how long, because I'm transfering to a completely new editing program for it, and will take some rather attentive editing. The edit, itself, will be identical to the original; I'm just correcting all the awful video.

I've been getting a lot of requests, so hopefully there is some interest in this still!
Cheers!
J

Just wanted to drop a quick update; version 2.0 is zooming along!
i've worked on it the past three nights, and i'm already up to 1985 (about 3.5 hours of the full 5.5 length).

Federal regulations require me to warn you that it... is... looking... pretty good.

It is definitely having its own challenges to try to recapture how i'd done it previously, but they are cowering before Marty McSuperFly!

Crz... Very carefully.

}= )

I'll have it up for download within a week, and you can see for yourself. I'd rather not give anything away.

Alright, i'm putting final touches on Version 2.0 tonight, and will hopefully have rendering finished and ready to upload by thursday. it's great to see in a better quality than my original, but there's some softening of the focus that is kind of troubling me. i'm going to check to see if there's something i can do about that.

cheers

I would strongly recommend that you see if you can get someone to possibly preview it before you submit it formally, this can help avoid submitting, pulling back, and re-submitting again as that tends to kill momentum/interest.

thanks, L8! i actually had the same idea...

i ran into some snags this week in the final render. I found several splice points with extra frames that i need to clean up. but that shouldn't take more than an hour to clean up in the project file. Then i'm going to render and upload today for beta testing.

But the technical aspect looks great! I watched nearly the whole thing yesterday, when all I was intending to do was check the quality. I really love the Enchantment Under The Sea Dance scene...

Anyways, check back within the next week for the upload. If you want to be part of the Beta testing, let me know, and i'll private message you the links. As long as I get someone to confirm it's mass-public ready, I'll have it posted on fanedit.org as soon as possible.

cheers, everyone!

alright, i've been uploading a couple of formats of CBTTF all day...
I should have links for my beta testers this evening. Once I get the "go ahead" from them, I'll have the links posted for everyone to access.

I'm mastering the finished film in three formats: DL DVD, AVCHD on DL-DVD, and MKV. The cleanest and finest version will be the MKV; but will also be the largest to download, around 14gigs. Since the other two have to be squeezed onto a dual layer dvd, they'll be just under 9gigs each. The DVD format will probably be the most ragged, but has the best menu. It's the original menu featured in version 1.0, only slightly corrected for volume and a little extra thing I threw in the chapter menu.

I was super excited when I first launched this edit a year ago; I thought for sure it would take no time to get approved, and that I would join the ranks of all these editors I really admire. I'd be lying if I said I was that excited now...
But I do still hope to attain approved editor status. Here's hoping...

so, can you believe this crap? my internet crashed when i was down to the last four files of the MKV upload. the cable company is supposed to come out tomorrow to fix it. so, hopefully I'll have the MKV version uploaded tomorrow night.
The AVCHD version is already uploaded; if anyone's interested, drop me a private message for links.

I'm having a little trouble with Encore finishing the DL DVD version... how many of you are saying, "serves him right for using Encore"? well, i'm trying to get that finished up too.

I think I have two beta testers checking out the edit now. By the way, guys, if you're reading this, keep an eye out for single frames from scene to scene that you might notice. that was really the only problem i had noticed when i was checking it. whatever, actually i need to know about anything you find problematic...
but once those tests come back, i'll have it mass released on FE. (God, how many times have i said that...? sorry, i'll try to stop repeating myself)

cheers, everyone!

ok, i have all formats finished, uploaded, and available for download.
the dvd ended up being spanned across two DL DVD's to make sure the video quality held up. the menu's are not exactly to my pleasure; but i can't even begin to tell you how long i'd struggled with the programs to get them to work. they're just a minor complaint that i hope most people won't notice. their functionality is complete, and is not the concern, in case you were wondering.

So, cheers. Chronological Back To The Future Version 2.0 is live.
WILL SOMEONE PLEASE APPROVE IT!?!?!?

Thank you to all my buddies that kept up with me, and helped me along the way, and even just gave me an encouraging word from time to time! you guys really made this happen for me.

This sounds great! Sounds like a lot of love and care and work has gone into this. I've dreamt of watching something like this since the trilogy was out in the theaters. Cannot wait to dl/watch this! Hopefully soon! Are you still waiting for approval? I'm not seeing it listed where it looks like it should be listed.

Marty McSuperfly said:
So, cheers. Chronological Back To The Future Version 2.0 is live.
WILL SOMEONE PLEASE APPROVE IT!?!?!?
Not before we've watched it :p Technical quality (i.e. video and sound), editing quality, presentation, etc... all have to reach an acceptable level before you'll get a green light. But you probably already now that :)
I'm sure interested in watching it, although someone else will probably approve it before I do. I'll post a review this weekend ;)

hey guys! thanks for the posts. yeah, i put a lot of careful work into it, because it's a film series i have loved my whole life. (well, since it came out...)

check it out, it's already up here as a profile page (check unapproved...), and may be found downloadable on fanedit.info. probably under "unapproved"...

Man... Yotsuyasan gave me a pretty hard slap on the wrist in his review of the dvd. I'm not sure what happened with his dvd that he made, because my folder system is clean. I've gone through numerous testing of it, and it always goes to the main menu before going to the feature film. I did put in a seven second intro as the first play before it goes to the main menu, mostly to make sure everyone's components clear up before the motion menu starts. But I don't know how that could possibly go to the feature film. ...unless the program I used to build it somehow set the feature film as the next playable video, and the watcher pressed the forward button. That's a little presumptuous, though.
No, it can't be that. I just tried it, and I had forgotten that I disabled the forward and backward buttons on the first play video.

I don't know. I haven't had any such complaints from anyone else. The technical side is something I'm always overly cautious about. I have no idea why he wasn't able to play it normally and smoothly. It looks beautiful on my computer, as well as on my blu ray player. Maybe I should go buy a $20 dvd player and see how that handles it.

And as for him getting bored with it... well, I'm not sure what he was expecting. It's not an edit of the films. I specifically said nothing was left out. It plays out as it did within the time frame everything took place. Again, everyone else I've shown it to really loves it. Especially the lightning bolt at the clock tower part; I specifically tried to maintain suspense during that scene.

Maybe Zeppelinrox is right, and someone should make an ADHD version of the film for those with lack of patience. "Back To The Future On Ritalin!" (do a search on youtube for back to the future in 60 seconds...)

That kind of upset me. Besides, who downloads a dvd for playback on a playstation 3, when it's available in MKV and AVCHD format? Lame...

Has anyone else had playback issues?

Don't worry. I had some playback issues on my PS3 before. It's not your fault, it's more likely his.
When I burnt some NTSC dvds in Nero (I'm from a PAL region by the way), the PS3 (also PAL) freaked out and started playing everything in random order, including the menu. I did not own a dvd player, so I burnt everything using Nero Recode (again watching on the PS3).
Since I got a region free dvd player however, I burn everything using ImgBurn (or Nero Recode out of damn habit), and everything still works fine. My broadband width is getting restored on Wednesday. I'll get a review up ASAP :)

EDIT: Yotsuyasan is a Junior Member and doesn't have the necessary post count to approve or dissaprove an edit. Don't let him get to you, because he can't vote yet anyway.

I started downloading the dvd but realized the avchd format was the lowest file size so I switched for the sake of being able to watch the edit sooner.

I'm only to the part in 1955, but I'm already loving it! I always hated the Old West theme in the third movie, because it simply didn't live up to the visual spectacle of the future in Part 2. Plot and story-wise it ties together beautifully but it's really boring after THE FUTURE!

What you've done is made it not only tolerable, but exciting as hell! It's the first thing you see, and even though it's in chronological order, it's got a very out-of-sequence feel to it, which makes it almost like an artsy indie film. But it's still very much Back to the Future. I admit, I jumped ahead to see the very end, and though I haven't finished watching yet, I can tell I'm gonna love the whole thing. Saving the best for last is brilliant, and by the time the movie's over, with nothing actually cut OUT, the puzzle pieces should fit together really well! I'm really looking forward to finishing this so I can write a rave review already! Not that it'll help get approved, but at 5 hours and some change this is a TON of work and love put into one project that deserves credit.

Many props and thanks!

Wow, I didn't realize I was a Senior Member already! I'm about halfway through the edit, unfortunately I can't watch it all in one sitting with it being over five hours and me having real life get in the way every so often (and the edit of my own that I'm still prodding incessantly). Still really liking it though! Thought I saw some funny frames at some point during the dance when BTTF2 Marty sees his parents kissing at the dance, but it may have been my computer (I'm watching the AVCHD version, not burned, on my harddrive, with VLC player, and JDownloader in the background). It wouldn't be the first time VLC has stuttered on me. I'm also watching with a slight color correcting filter, I keep my laptop screen very bright and noticed artifacts in the background. Before approving I'll make sure this stuff doesn't show up on my CRTV, which usually displays films uncomfortably dark for my eyes, so I will have seen it in the two extremes. The artifacts I have noticed are very mild, they may even have come from the source. It definitely doesn't take me out of the film, I figure I just need to not have my screen at MAXIMUM brightness.
The 1955 stuff is really awesome in general, takes me back to the first time I saw Part 2, very nostalgia-inducing. I'll be sure to write more as I watch more as well.

Back
Top Bottom