• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Chronological Back to the Future by Marty McSuperFly

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Marty, have you seen Enchantment Under the Sea Dance Revisited?

Marty McSuperfly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you, Addi! What a great compliment, your post... I have to admit, I have been in the worst mood the past two days, and that really cheered me up, because I did put a lot of work into this fanedit! And it just feels like it's not going anywhere...
But a friend told me recently that I shouldn't avoid negative criticism, and that a true artist's only way of honing their craft is to open themselves to it. I'm trying to accept that. But my ego is a little larger than Q's from ST:TNG.

I agree about the old west in the BTTF series. I think it's a good film, and while the future section has somewhat dimmed since I first saw it in theaters way back when... I do love it so much! And the old west part kind of becomes slow and tedious.

Anyways, thank you again for your compliments! I really truly appreciate them!

Marty McSuperfly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Thought I saw some funny frames at some point during the dance when BTTF2 Marty sees his parents kissing at the dance, but it may have been my computer (I'm watching the AVCHD version, not burned, on my harddrive, with VLC player, and JDownloader in the background). It wouldn't be the first time VLC has stuttered on me.
definitely let me know if you do find those kind of artifacts!!! i specifically tried to edit down to individual frames to make sure that kind of thing didn't happen; but there is always the possibility that something slipped past me. Not very likely... but possible. (HAHA! Get it? Because of my Q complex...)

Hey, you know what's great for most playbacks? Allplayer. I usually only use it for MKV's, actually; but I think it should be able to handle AVCHD's.

Marty McSuperfly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
It's not your fault, it's more likely his.... Since I got a region free dvd player however, I burn everything using ImgBurn (or Nero Recode out of damn habit), and everything still works fine.
I like ImgBurn too... since using it for burning, I've not had a single problem. As well as DVD Decryptor. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about Adobe Encore; which I was a big fan of during version 1.5; but version 2 is not so favorable.

Kal-El said:
My broadband width is getting restored on Wednesday. I'll get a review up ASAP :)
I would super duper appreciate it! Thanks, Kal!
"i've never seen 'red' underwear before, Kalvin. I guess they call you Kal..."

Kal-El said:
Yotsuyasan is a Junior Member and doesn't have the necessary post count to approve or dissaprove an edit. Don't let him get to you, because he can't vote yet anyway.
yeah, i'm trying not to let it get to me. i don't do well with negative criticism. But i'm trying to get over that...

Marty McSuperfly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mark Moore said:
Marty, have you seen Enchantment Under the Sea Dance Revisited?

Wow! Thanks for the share, Mark. No, I have never seen that, and it is amazing!
Absolutely brilliant... actually playing it back in real time. And did you see the precision timing when Marty's leaving the dance between the two movies? Perfectly in sync!

That was really cool. I admire that.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I have almost finished it, I've saved the future for last. About to watch it tonight. Seeing it all together out of sequence really does make it a new and interesting experience.

From a technical standpoint, there is one real flaw, and that's a single stray frame, it is there, after spy-clothes Marty sees George wave to Johnny-B-Goode-Marty there is a close-up of spy-clothes Marty's face and then George and Lorraine kiss, it's between those two shots. If you want to fix it you can, but it's up to you, that's a lot of time you'd have to put in just for one frame.

If I were to do anything differently, with the same intent in mind, I would have tried to match up the lightning bolts between Part 1 and Part 2 so they happen almost the same time, but really yours works great as is.

Marty McSuperfly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
If I were to do anything differently, with the same intent in mind, I would have tried to match up the lightning bolts between Part 1 and Part 2 so they happen almost the same time, but really yours works great as is.

yeah, i see what you mean. but the whole idea i was going for at that part was that bttf 2 marty was on the outskirts of town, and would take a while for him, as well as the heavy (get it?) part of the storm, to reach the clocktower.
plus, i was greatly trying to produce tension in that scene, where everything looks good once Marty burns the almanac. bttf 1 marty is in the delorean, at the starting marker waiting to go. he has reset the time circuits so he can save doc's life in 1985. bttf 2 marty has restored the timeline, saving his father's life. doc is no longer committed... then everything goes to crap. I'm not sure if it actually comes off that way. but the intention was there...

addiesin said:
there is one real flaw, and that's a single stray frame
are you sure? what version did you download?

that's odd... i just re-opened my vegas project file, which i haven't touched in two months... and the entire 1885-1955 sections are gone. it starts off with the Universal screen, then pops right into 1985 at doc's garage lab... what the heck?
well, i loaded my previous project file's save prior to what should have been the last one, and it has the proper 1885-1955 sections. that was weird, though. anyways... to the dance.

ok, i found it... it goes like this: johnny-b-goode marty waves back to george. then there's spy-clothes marty looking in reverence at his parents, and i used that shot up until the last frame, which then cuts back to george and lorraine... but the next shot is a different cut of george and lorraine from about a second difference, and it looks jarring.
you're totally right. that's the one thing i'm not too keen on Vegas about, is that it will not show the last frame, even when you move forward frame by frame, sometimes. it may have to do with the formatting of the timecode, since i ripped it from the dvd's, which were presumably in 30fps, and then i ripped them into 24fps.

whatever the case... you're right! I epic failed...

i don't want it to not be perfect. maybe some weekend i have free, i'll re-up them after rendering and rar'ing the three formats.
ugh!!!

thanks for the heads up.
i'm lame.

Marty McSuperfly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
P.S. - i figured out what the deal was with the project file being wonky... i made different project files for the two dvd versions...
well, this weekend, i'm supposed to be working on my voodoo picture. but maybe i can set up the project files to render while i'm sleeping at night, then rar them while i'm at work during the week next week. hopefully i can have all three formats finished and uploaded by 9/24/2011.

aww... i don't want to have to reproduce the stupid dvd format. that thing is such a drag.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Marty McSuperfly said:
yeah, i'm trying not to let it get to me. i don't do well with negative criticism. But i'm trying to get over that...
Yeah, you need to learn if you want to do this in public. ;)

Marty McSuperfly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
alright, guys; i've made the adjustment to the one stupid frame in five and a half hours of film that was taunting me like the Tell-Tale Heart...

i've just sent an email requesting that the links be updated with the new version 2.1 links; so hopefully that'll be up and live soon.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just wanted to put in my two cents. I'm watching it now and am two hours into it and really digging it.

Question for the editor. Is this still In-The-Works or are you completed? The thread is listed as I-T-W I figure because you went back to correct that stray frame. Was there anything else you were going to do with it or is it done?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think its done and I would approve it but he insisted on fixing that frame first.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Addi. On Marty's last post (9-26-2011) he said he fixed the frame and sent the updated links to the admins. So... maybe a review is in order?

Marty McSuperfly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yep, it's completed and done. I'm not sure if the links have been updated on .info yet, but i'll check when i get home tonight.
other than that... Addi or Neglify... SAVE MEEEEE...!!!!! you would be my heroes if you approved it. I am cracking up waiting to be an approved FanEditor.

I also just sent links to be updated for my "Ewokless Return of the Jedi", but last time i checked, they hadn't yet been updated on .info.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Marty McSuperfly said:
Addi or Neglify... SAVE MEEEEE...!!!!!

I will finish watching it this weekend. But hopefully addiesin will get a review written as well.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Marty McSuperfly’s “Chronological Back to the Future” Review

Video/Audio - 9/10

Looks and sounds great. The version I downloaded had the issue with that stray frame, but the editor has said this has been fixed and updated links have been sent to the admins.

Editing – 8/10

Very good editing as a whole. There were one or two issues I had (nothing too major). At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance, when Biff’s lackeys see Marty on stage you overdubbed one or two lines of dialog on top of Marty playing guitar from Part 1 that I felt was a little awkward. The voices could have been a bit quieter. Also, in a later scene intercutting between Marty and his parents in the stairwell and Marty2 and Biff outside, the audio cutting a bit obvious. The music from the stairwell scenes cut in and out. Like I said, nothing major. I heard them and said “Oh well.”

Positive notes about the editing:

The Enchantment Under the Sea Dance is a SUPERB segment. Even though I’ve seen those movies dozens of times, while watching your edit it all blended together nicely and I had to stop and think sometimes “Which movie was that shot from?”

Also the cuts during the clock tower finales and Doc’s fake-out death scene came off without a hitch.

Presentation – N/A

I downloaded the MKV file so I can’t comment on the DVDs.

Entertainment – 7/10

This was definitely a unique experience. I was easily hooked and once I got about 3 hours into it I couldn’t stop watching. Especially since having the Old West segment first you get all the slow stuff out of the way.

The coolest things (to me) about the sequence of events were call backs to things that hadn’t happened yet. Marty using a bullet proof vest in the Old West, calling back (forward) to Biff watching Fistful of Dollars in Alternate 1985. And Old Biff telling Young Biff (in 1955) that if an old man or some kid comes to find him and the dialog fading away, then Biff later revealing the gun was fantastic. Those are two small things, but this edit is full of references that pay off later.

I do have to bring up something. I wouldn’t call it a plot hole, because your intention with this edit was “Ever wonder how the adventures in Back To The Future would appear in the history books?” You weren’t trying to create a movie with a three-act structure, you were presenting it all in one timeline. So the tonal shifts throughout aren’t important IMO.

Let’s say there are a few paradoxical issues here. (And I don’t want to spend too much time on this because it may just be me who thinks of this.)

Technically, once the 1955 segment ends there should be no alternate 1985. Doc and Marty fixed it. It’s gone after that point. Also, once George knocked out Biff in 1955, then the first 1985 timeline (before going back in time) shouldn’t exist either. And, once Marty and Doc prevented Buford Tannen from killing Doc, then Marty would have never found the headstone in 1955. Not to mention, at the end of the 1985 segment Marty doesn't crash into the Rolls Royce, so the entire 2015 segment doesn't happen either. I’m sure I’m overthinking it, but there you go.

Thankfully all the above didn’t bring the movie down. It’s still great BTTF fun!

Overall rating:

8/10

approvedpl.png

approvedpl.png
approvedpl.png

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well if you try to apply logic to time traveling movies the only thing you are going to gain is a headache. i could point countless of plot holes with the original films as well. just enjoy them for what they are. awesome kick ass movies!

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
g1orkatsos said:
i could point countless of plot holes with the original films as well.

Without a doubt. The one that always makes me laugh is that if Doc had come back from the future at the end of Part 1 and said "Marty, you're going to have a car accident tomorrow! Stay home!" All the problems would be solved.

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Without a doubt. The one that always makes me laugh is that if Doc had come back from the future at the end of Part 1 and said "Marty, you're going to have a car accident tomorrow! Stay home!" All the problems would be solved.
i dont mind most of the time travelling plot holes except 1 from part 2. at the part where old Biff from 2015 goes back to 1955 to give the sports Almanac to young Biff. How on earth did old Biff manage to return to the normal 2015??? i mean since he gave his old self the sports Almanac, he should have re-wrote history and return to the alternative timeline's 2015. That is also backed up by what doc Brown tells to Marty, when Marty suggest going back to 2015 to prevent old Biff. they couldn't do that because the future was re-written. How old Biff manage to get back to the real 2015 while re-writing history in 1955 at the same time?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, Neglify. I've been so busy with school I've barely been able to work much on my own edit, much less tango with others' edits and reviews. I'm pulling my hair out. This upcoming week I should be able to get a review up for you Marty, I'm so behind right now.

Seriously brilliant edit, I found myself thinking "I wish this was my idea" almost the entire time I watched it.

Top Bottom