• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Captain Marvel : Where's the Love

I would certainly love to hear back from anyone who doesn't feel I fixed her character. I think it's difficult to get that kind of feedback though, people don't want to cause upset.

I'm honest with feedback and can watch it 😳 I've forgotten a lot of the movie and it could be interesting to compare from a first time never seeing it to a seen but not really invested in it (the source movie) approach?

My understanding of the character from others is that she is über powerful - but also standoffish and arrogant.
Probably the worst combination a protagonist can be is too strong and hard to root for.
If your edit humanizes her more then I think it could be worthwhile and I look forward to that being my first impression of her.
The complaints along those lines that I've seen almost always use the specific expression "OP", which is a gaming term. There's this idea that each character in a game needs to be balanced or some are unfairly weighted in order to promote them when they debut. I think it's an inherently flawed idea to try to apply to a film universe.

There are also complaints about her and this aspect in relation to her comic book history. The thing is, CM has a loooong and very checkered comic history. She's gotten a following for a very narrow portrayal of her character in the past decade in terms of how she relates to the other comic book characters. But the Marvel comics universe has different dynamics than the MCU. For example, in the comics, CM took on the role of an ideological opposite to Iron Man when Captain America died and they did a "Civil War II". None of that applies to her film debut.

In short, you can't please all the people all the time, and all those people got online and complained about the Captain Marvel movie. Comicsgate toxicity made real. Not that there aren't legitimate criticisms for the film, but I think if you watch this version with fresh eyes, you'll be hard-pressed to find any.

I'm honest with feedback and can watch it 😳 I've forgotten a lot of the movie and it could be interesting to compare from a first time never seeing it to a seen but not really invested in it (the source movie) approach?
Many thanks ^^

sent a message :)

Last edited:
Hey all, I've finally managed to rip my deleted scenes better so I have reinserted and am re-rendering. This will result in exactly the same quality across all shots.
I intend to PM everyone with an update once it's all done ^^

Hey all, I've finally managed to rip my deleted scenes better so I have reinserted and am re-rendering. This will result in exactly the same quality across all shots.
I intend to PM everyone with an update once it's all done ^^

I won't object if you PM me, too ;)

I can't decide if it's Bre Larson in general that I dislike, or if it's the character.
Interested to check this one out.

I have a lot of people to pm so please can you pm me if you want to see it.
I will in a few weeks since it sounds like you're still making a few tweaks. I must say, I'm excited to see what you've done. I didn't mind the original, despite common complaints, I guess because I accepted it as it was, a female empowerment story for a younger audience. But that said, your perspective as a female editor is definitely warranted in a fan edit. So looking forward to it, and happy to send/post comments.

I will in a few weeks since it sounds like you're still making a few tweaks. I must say, I'm excited to see what you've done. I didn't mind the original, despite common complaints, I guess because I accepted it as it was, a female empowerment story for a younger audience. But that said, your perspective as a female editor is definitely warranted in a fan edit. So looking forward to it, and happy to send/post comments.
I finished March last year.
I'm just trying to impress on people that posting in this thread and expecting me to chase after people is not fair. I put the hours in to make this, it's time for other people to do just a little bit of legwork if they want to enjoy what I produced.

This is a really interesting idea. I was of the opinion this film was unsalvageable but after seeing your ideas I want to give your work a shot

This fan edit is the one that convinced me to join the forum.

Overall, I remember leaving the cinema entertained. My main gripes were pacing, especially early on. I didn't mind that we spent some time with the characters before they go and rescue their team members, but we didn't learn anything about them except that Vers is "cheeky." Or at least I think they were going for cheeky and likeable. I don't think they accomplished that.

I really like that you've focussed Carol's journey and realisation on the angle that emotions aren't bad. It seemed like it was a direction the movie wanted to go, but was overshadowed by Carol Danver's need to be "sassy." It's a very tired trope that writers think makes a strong female character, I guess. Pain and failure can make us stronger (and we want to see our characters fail and what they do after), but there was no nuance or subtext in this movie. She was literally standing up over and over for five minutes.

For me, lines like "Noble warrior heroes" might have worked in isolation. There was a quiet confidence in that particular line, but it gets lost with all the other smarmy things Carol says. There's nothing wrong with some ruthless editing.

I'll reach out via PM if that's alright. I'd love to watch this and leave a review. Thanks!

P.S. If I got any details of the movie wrong, I'm typing this mainly from memory. I'd like the next time I watch this movie to be this fan edit.

I've been working on this off and on, improving various things such as the video and audio quality.
This is a slight improvement for the sfx on her hand in this deleted scene.

I've been working on this off and on, improving various things such as the video and audio quality.
The biggest question is.. will you be doing The Marvels too? :)

The biggest question is.. will you be doing The Marvels too? :)
More than likely, yes. But I really enjoyed the film so it's really questionable if I will be able to fix it for the majority of people. I'd need to understand why it got rated so badly.

More than likely, yes. But I really enjoyed the film so it's really questionable if I will be able to fix it for the majority of people. I'd need to understand why it got rated so badly.
The most common reasons I've seen are poor branding (i.e., calling it The Marvels and not Captain Marvel: Bangle Entanglement or something like that), the fact that audiences have been conditioned to view Kamala (and Monica to a lesser extent) as a tv/streaming character and not a movie character, and the fact that tensions between the three Marvels disappear really early on rather than coming to a head at the end of Act 2.

Is the link updated with this version or are you wanting to put more into it before releasing it?

No not yet, i was still looking at some things. I remembered a few comments about it being dark on Torfa for example. I had a look and increased the contrast a little, but the theatrical version is muddy there anyway so not much I can do. Nonetheless, I've been thinking about if there are any other things I'd like to do. Maybe some edit points that could be improved or maybe some clips that I could add more sfx or something.
I also redid the re-score of that fight sequence and the sfx are much clearer now and the audio is now down mixed from 5.1 to prologic which will maintain some surround sound for those who have a surround system.

maybe there is nothing more I want to do right now, I'll see if I can remember to take a look tomorrow.

Okay, upon review, there were two other things that needed to be addressed.

Torfa was a muddy mess so I decided to put some work into attempting to clear up the scene. I approached that from two fronts. On the one hand, the photography itself needed improving so I added some highlights in some shots to try to accentuate the bridge and the temple and adjusted the brightness to make the outside look more outside-y and the inside more inside-y. On the other hand, I reframed and reversed some shots so that the beach was almost always on the left so that the movement of each element was clearer. It was a really badly shot scene and I had literally no idea what was going on previously, but now I have studied it, I see that it could have been so much better with some good lighting. Also, I can't figure out why the directors though it was a good idea to cross the 180 degree line with their angles so often. so confusing.

I also noticed that the audio where I had done re-scoring was very flat and I can understand that when we rely on AI tools, that's not realy something that we can help, but there actually is, if we decide to work on individual channels so I bit the bullet and decided to put in that work. I took the original 7.1 audio and separated out each track and put each of those through the ai tool, then used the results from that to strip out as much of the music as possible and reconstructed all that and downmixed to prologic II. Since I cannot hear surround sound, I can't reliably edit with it on my timeline, but I know the data is there so theoretically, it should be nice for ppl with a surround system. the resulting audio is much richer and I am enjoying how that scene sounds now.

I'm happy with these steps and this remaster so I'm rendering it out now. If it goes smoothly, I should have it done and uploaded by tomorrow. Maybe. I'll edit this post when I'm done.

Okay, upon review, there were two other things that needed to be addressed.

Torfa was a muddy mess so I decided to put some work into attempting to clear up the scene. I approached that from two fronts. On the one hand, the photography itself needed improving so I added some highlights in some shots to try to accentuate the bridge and the temple and adjusted the brightness to make the outside look more outside-y and the inside more inside-y. On the other hand, I reframed and reversed some shots so that the beach was almost always on the left so that the movement of each element was clearer. It was a really badly shot scene and I had literally no idea what was going on previously, but now I have studied it, I see that it could have been so much better with some good lighting. Also, I can't figure out why the directors though it was a good idea to cross the 180 degree line with their angles so often. so confusing.

I also noticed that the audio where I had done re-scoring was very flat and I can understand that when we rely on AI tools, that's not realy something that we can help, but there actually is, if we decide to work on individual channels so I bit the bullet and decided to put in that work. I took the original 7.1 audio and separated out each track and put each of those through the ai tool, then used the results from that to strip out as much of the music as possible and reconstructed all that and downmixed to prologic II. Since I cannot hear surround sound, I can't reliably edit with it on my timeline, but I know the data is there so theoretically, it should be nice for ppl with a surround system. the resulting audio is much richer and I am enjoying how that scene sounds now.

I'm happy with these steps and this remaster so I'm rendering it out now. If it goes smoothly, I should have it done and uploaded by tomorrow. Maybe. I'll edit this post when I'm done.
If it isn't too much work, could you supply the time stamps for the new changes?

These are the changes and time-codes.
Of course, it still has a fair amount of time to go to render. Please stand by :)

0:03:20 new hand sfx.
0:11:25 Torfa segment, regraded and reframed, etc.
0:57:21 I cut 1 shot earlier so we associate the change in location with Maria's face.
0:58:50 J-cut here replaces quite a jarring cut I'd done.
1:15:19 Deleted scene removed from this spot as it spoiled the mood.
1:16:29 Deleted scene placed here as it feels better here.
1:22:27 Removed flashback from the plane as many people gave notes about that bit.
1:31:03 Completely removed "species human male" as it still stuck out. Fury's objections actually reinforce his feelings about Goose now.
1:36:58 Completely reworked audio removal on original song.

New running time will be 124 minutes.
I've also gone over the subtitles and converted them to srt so they will abide by people's default sub formatting.

Back
Top Bottom