• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

BLUE SKIES ON MARS: A Total Recall Fanedit

I'm not an Arnold fan. He's never offered me anything other than OTT violence and one-liners, which is just not my thing. But I am a big fan of the Terminator films, because they are sci-fi films with Arnold in them, rather than the other way around.

I've always had mixed feelings about Total Recall. To me this is a movie that is both a sci-fi and Arnold film at the same time. I watch it for the sci-fi, but cringe at the Arnold. And so I was curious to see what Jorge planned for this film. When I read his thoughts on the film, I realized this fanedit was made just for me. And after watching it, I was thrilled to see that the Arnold factor was indeed greatly reduced.

Beyond that, I also really enjoyed the mementomixing of the film. This is an ideal movie to give this treatment to, and it works really well. In fact, I found myself disappointed when I realized the two narratives had joined and we would only be moving forward from that point on. Not that I would suggest anything different, but it was just a "awwww, too bad" kind of moment.

The change to color near the end was put in the perfect place, and the last shot of the edit left me with a big smile on my face.

Audio and video cuts were invisible. The video quality is a little rough as others have mentioned, but it wasn't terribly distracting. I would be interested to see how this would look using the Blu source, however. I used headphones while watching so I didn't get a chance to check out the 5.1 mix, but since I will definitely watch this again in the future, I will listen to it at some point.

I didn't expect this to become my go-to version of Total Recall, but by turning this film into a sci-fi film rather than an Arnold film, Jorge has put his version on my shelf.

9/10

Great job on this edit. The other reviews cover the bases well. Great audio work. As everyone else has mentioned, I noticed the one black & white glitch and it confused me for a bit as well. It is so subtle that it seems like it shouldn't matter, but it really, really did. The reviews downplay it but in my opinion it is a pretty big technical flaw that confuses and pulls the audience out of the story. It damages an otherwise near-perfect edit.

Apparently I am the only pervert on this site, cause none of the reviews weeped for the loss of the 3-breasted alien, which left an indelible imprint on my young mind as a child.

Great job Jorge.

PS: Other minor issue. I felt there was a little bit too much self-promotion at the beginning of the movie. It left a sour taste in my mouth that, fortunately, your editing talent made me quickly forget about.

Jorge, C'mon back and give us JEDI! :)

I sent a PM to Jorge weeks (months?) ago and never heard of him yet.
Hope he's all right.

I messaged him a few months back as well and got nothing but crickets as well. Likewise, I hope he's just on some Motorcycle Diaries journey.

He was one of the testers for Northwest Passage, but when I talked to him about the second half he declined to watch it. Said some personal had come up. Haven't heard from him since.

Not a good sign. Hard times for many these days. Hard reality just set in for me this morning that I am fast approaching financial insolvency and need to quickly make some changes in my life.

Saw Blue Skies on Mars last night.

Not much to add that the other reviewers haven't covered; this was a perfect film to mementomix. Again, Jorge delivered.

Too bad for the excessive self-promotion. I enjoyed his Dark Knight presentation with all the fe.org reviews but having so many logos before the movie was annoying as fuck.

blueyoda said:
having so many logos before the movie was annoying as fuck.

Glad I am not alone on that sentiment. If one more had popped up I swear I would have turned the movie off.

It's a Jorge's trademark.

Back
Top Bottom