• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

BLADE RUNNER 2049

I saw the film during a free screening (Blade Runner 2049).  I signed a waiver saying that I couldn't give away plot details or really talk about it much, but I will say that they did recapture that feel of the original with some scenes being more brutal than the original.  The effects were great and the music was pretty good, though I think it was still partially a temp track.  Not sure that this sequel was needed and not sure where they would go if it turns into a new franchise (though I highly doubt it will given that it won't be as appealing to a mass audience IMHO). 

Any specific questions I am more than happy to answer in a PM.

New short is up:

BLADE RUNNER 2049 - "2048: Nowhere To Run"

Oooooh so THAT's how you say Denis Villeneuve...

Naw but seriously, that was an awesome wee short. Luke Scott is an effective visual director that showcased a unique style of directing and editing action. Bautista is once again proving himself to be a talented character actor, making so much out of so little. The Rock is The Rock and The Rock is awesome and The Rock is awesome at being The Rock. But WWE's real child prodigy is easily Dave Bautista.

Zamros said:
The Rock is The Rock and The Rock is awesome and The Rock is awesome at being The Rock.

I want to hear this turned into a death metal song.

‘Blade Runner 2049’: David Bowie Was Denis Villeneuve’s First Choice to Play the Villain

It's a shame Bowie in BR2049 couldn't happen. Looking at the cast for this movie, I have found it odd to not see many actors who were working in the '80s, because the original is such an '80s vision of the future (and it looks like the sequel continues that). Robin Wright's there I guess, but she really only did The Princess Bride in '87... I wonder if Jackie Chan would have worked in a role.

It might be jarring to see a BR movie with modern colour grading, music and CGI, and actors who were still children in the '80s.

I like this analysis. Also, the animated short is cool.

Reviews are in and they are very positive. We have IMAX tickets for next Saturday. I'm not reading any reviews, though, so many of them could have caveats beyond the general favorable review.

I'm interested to FINALLY be able to discuss this film once it's released.  I'm also excited to hear about any changes that may have been made to the film since seeing the screening.

going to see a double feature of the final cut and blade runner 2049 on thursday.
looking forward to it, since i never got to see Blade Runner on the big screen.

I just got out of theater and... wow. 
A worthy sequel that not only respects and honors what came before, but also improves and adds upon it. Don't know if it was just hype, excitement or just the incredible visuals and music, but nothing jumps out at me for this movie as something negative. Definitely need to see it again.

@"SkywalkerFan01"  did the movie still include the
awkward sex scene between K and Joi?  During the screening, everyone around me, including myself, found it to be more uncomfortable and weird than romantic.

Yep, I get where you're coming from but it personally didn't bother me.
Are we gonna get a spoiler thread for this movie?

Fresh from the cinema: it's good. but not better than original. It does have some great visuals, but I wouldn't say revolutionary. The score is so-so, it pays homage to Vangelis to some extent. Story expansion is interesting but I feel Deckard's underused here.
Villeneuve stated this is the version he intended, so I guess this will be the cut we'll get on blu-ray. Wonder if any cut material is going to be included, because there is some fat that can be fanedited.

On a side note, here's an interesting piece on origins of Blade Runner title

Just saw this... Did not really care for it, unfortunately. Some parts were very good though.

I saw 2049 tonight with the girlfriend, and it was absolutely amazing. The two of us spent the day watching The Final Cut, Black Out 2022, 2036: Nexus Dawn, and 2048: Nowhere To Run before heading to the movie.

I'm looking forward to a threequel (not a franchise), and hope it won't take another 35 years to happen.

My word that was tedious. It felt like every minute of the excessive 2 and 3-quarter hour runtime. I suspect you could take 20-30 minutes out just be tightening up the pace of the editing, never-mind removing any whole scenes.

The visuals in the trailer looked drab and so it proved here. There were some nice visual ideas but executed poorly. There was just one scene (in a sewer IIRC) that was competent enough that it made me think that maybe, just maybe, it could have been shot by Ridley Scott's understudy.

It opens on an endless expanse of flat grey and continues in the same vain. When a character said something like "That guy over there in the green jacket" was the only time I smiled, as I'd thought the jacket was grey.

"Flat" is the key word for the look, especially in regards to how the shots were lit (If they bothered to light them at all, which is conceivable on the evidence of some scenes :D ).

The film-noir romance of the original was replaced with the cold dead style of an Ikea catalogue. The original seemed packed with humour and fun (which it wasn't) when compared to this po-faced sequel. The score was loud, overbearing, cacophonous and annoying like a dentist drill was stuck in my ear. The FX shots were thoroughly unremarkable, which is a filmic crime when you are trying to emulate some of the most remarkable. Naturally when a film has lost you, you also start to notice all the stupid mistakes in the plot and that only makes it worse.

In short, I hated this sequel to Blade Runner. If it had been a stand-alone new sci-fi film, I might have enjoyed it more... but it wasn't and I can only compare it to the original masterpiece. From most of the positive reviews, I seem to be in a minority of one.

I hope for the producers sake, that they recoup the budget in the opening weekend because I cannot see this working for the mainstream crowd that the movie is being marketed to. They spent more on this than Spider-Man and Wonder Woman and let's be honest, it's not going to make that kind of money.

EDIT: Some additional random annoyances...

- The dialogue for Leto's character was awful. Who talks in nothing other than pseudo-poetic nonsense outside of a bad student film? He'd have been rejected as a Bond villain for being to camply evil.
- Leto's character can't keep up with the supply of Replicants (necessitating his murderous pursuit of their procreation) but can also afford to randomly knife them to death for no obvious reason.... other than "Hello audience, I am Mr bad guy".
- Looking back from the end... so the daughter knew K was confused, terrified, angry and in moment of existential crisis about the horse dream when he met her because it was her who gave him the memory.... but she thought, ah screw him. She's the girl we are supposed to care about?
- An hour(?) of the run-time is devoted to K's computer girlfriend (to the point where the movie grinds to a halt because she doesn't connect with the rest of the plot) but there is no time to see him react to her death?
- How/why are there bees in a flower-free wasteland? Other than the obvious the Director thought "It'll look cool and interesting".
- Why did K's computer girlfriend decide to betray him? She is shown to be omnipresent (She was listening/watching him talk to the prostitute at the cafe somehow) so would have obviously seen the prostitute plant the bug in K's pocket, right under her image emitter in the flat.
- LA has a strange police department where you can stole in and violently murder not one, but two top police officers without anybody stopping you, or noticing.
- The green eyes thing was the worst. How could they possibly recreate Rachel in every conceivable detail (except creepy and CGI) but get the eye colour wrong. They have a voight-kampf of her, that has a massive close-up of her eyeball for f*cks sake! This was the point that I knew the writers of 2049 didn't have a clue, or didn't care. The image of the pupil is central to BR, which the film naturally copies in the opening. Referencing the material, without understanding it.

Some thoughts after viewing:

- It's a true, good, sequel that does not tarnish the original and even add some ideas to it. That's pretty rare and quite amazing.
- Great Visuals (although lacking the gorgeous constrast of the original. At least in my 3D screening).
- Music has the feeling of the original but lack its power. It's okay though.
- Every scenes are interesting to the plot but a lot could have been reduced here and there without ruining that cool "Blade Runner slow pace" that we love.
The original movie takes it's time to tell a simple story with big ideas. I feel this one needed to be also a little more straightforward to really be called a masterpiece. To me it's close... but it misses the spot by trying to be too good.
It's among the best sequels to an original classic nonetheless, it's a "must see" and I clap my hands

I still haven't figured out what I think of this film...
That's a good sign :D

Minor fan-edit ideas:
Take out the bloody obnoxious voice overs that remind us of the story. It ruins the visuals, and only serves to spell out the plot for the audience.

I liked it. It doesn't hold a candle to the original but I enjoyed it. I actually agree with much of TM2YC posted (save for him not enjoying it visually. I thought it was one of the most beautifully filmed movies I'd seen in a long time), but I guess it didn't ruin the movie for me as much as it did for him. It definitely has a lot of fan edit potential.  The end fight has to go. I definitely didn't need that 2.5 hours in.

also it took forever for Harrison Ford to appear in the film.
these replicants seemed way too easy to kill.
K  dies from basically knife wound.
the lady replicant died from being choked by K.
yes the other replicants had to be shot.
also the villian (Leto) gets to live and keep making Replicants.?
the music for the most part to me was too jarring
the music in final cut before that was powerful but more subtle.
agree 2049 could be trimmed down for pacing.

Back
Top Bottom