• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

BLADE RUNNER 2049

Fair point, I was referring to A9's version.

TVs Frink said:
I can't believe I'm agreeing with maniac and disagreeing with Throw.

I hope you get over it soon Frink

as soon as frink's fever subsides. :D

ThrowgnCpr said:
I'm mostly worried about:

how they handle Deckard's character and the ambiguity over what he is

I believe that Villenvenue has stated that the question will not be answered either way, which I'm glad about.  :)

Count me in as tentatively interested in this. Certainly looks like it's going to explore new territory, particularly with a different visionary director at its head. 

Can't say I have the same enthusiasm for Alien: Covenant.  :-/

+++ rant beginning in 5_4_3_2_1 +++

I didn't like the look of the BR:2049 teaser on the first look in December...

https://forums.fanedit.org/thread-14245-post-276610.html#pid276610

...and last night I saw it on the big screen for the first time and I was even less impressed. It all looks kinda blandly shot and digitally tinted to hell but one shot really stood out, this one...

32946913260_812f29ee94_o.jpg

The top is the one in the teaser with an aggressive orange digital tint, to fool a general audience into thinking it looks good. The middle is my attempt to remove the tint and reveal the shot underneath and it looks like a lobby shot from a corporate Hotel's brochure. The bottom is greyscale to further illustrate how unimaginative, drab and flat the shot is... in comparison to the original movie... in comparison to modern movies in general, it's acceptable I suppose.

Ridley Scott and his cinematographer would have had strong diffuse light pouring in from the left, spot lights picking out the glitter from the chandeliers, a backlight behind Gosling so he stands out, a backlight behind the wolf (that you probably didn't see at first because of no backlight). I mean bloody hell the two table lamps aren't even switched on.  It's clear that no creative thought went into this shot whatsoever and this from a movie trying to live up to Blade Runner. Even you couldn't be bothered to light the scene properly, then perhaps simply compose the shot slightly differently so Gosling is standing in the lit doorway providing natural framing. For example the way Orson Welles did in Citizen Kane...

c7f0fc6ecae917f3c9b762c402cb3fc5.jpg

Compare that teaser shot to 3 similar shots of people standing in rooms from the original movie (greyscaled to remove colour distractions) and we can see the titanic golf between Scott and Denis Villeneuve as film Directors...

33329615505_a850c179f4_o.jpg

One only has to look at some screenshots from 'Arrival'...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Arrival-Blu-ray/164834/#Screenshots

...to see how poor Villeneuve is at visuals (The cinematography got nominated for an Oscar so what do I know?) So why has he been given the job of Directing a movie that should at a base level be about beautiful visuals. 'Blade Runner' was a movie of style and substance. Let's hope BR:2049 can deliver on one of those at least.

+++ rant complete +++

Additional: Just read that Villeneuve's next project is scheduled to be a new adaptation of Frank Herbert's 'Dune'. Noooooooo

Roger Deakins in the cinematographer so I'm going to reserve judgment. Deakins is amazing in my book.

Deakins bashing is something I simply cannot abide.

And I simply cannot abide false claims of bashing, wiseguy ;)
TM2YC's post is well thought out, despite technically not even mentioning the cinematographer, lol, and blaming the POOR lighting/color timing on the director (at least that's the way I took it), look at his post again, don't forget to compare the images (the blade runner and citizen kane images look real and believable, not to mention strikingly beautiful), and don't forget to take into account that its a teaser trailer
7482dd914157e5dfa62723c8ba2324086e573992a326542264c8648360d35da6.jpg

Oh, that's right, I'm looking at you TM2YC...

I'm pitting you all against each other here, me included, but you know, in a good way. I think. I'm not drunk or on drugs. Maybe that's the problem. Man, this post sucks, probably the only thing of any value is where I paraphrase Walter Goggins and spell 'paraphrase' right. I'm ever in the shadow of the praiseworthy TM2YC...
sorry-eh.jpg

In fairness, I skipped over much of what he wrote because I'm trying not to see any trailers/images from the film beforehand.

All I know at this point is that Deakins is a living legend so I have complete faith in his visual abilities. They literally could not have put a better man on that job.

DominicCobb said:
Deakins bashing is something I simply cannot abide.

Then outta respect for your good-self, I won't say what I'm thinking :D .

DominicCobb said:
I skipped over much of what he wrote because I'm trying not to see any trailers/images from the film beforehand.

Apologies. I've put that shot in spoiler tags now.

Rogue-theX said:
TM2YC's post is well thought out, despite technically not even mentioning the cinematographer, lol, and blaming the POOR lighting/color timing on the director

Well, I didn't want to open my post up into a larger discussion of the roles played by the cinematographer, lighting-director, set-decorator*, camera-operator, art-director, costume-designer, prop-designer etc etc in contributing to the look of a film. I think it's fair to say that the Director has a big role in "quality controlling" and "directing" the various contributions of those departments.

Ridley Scott has used a ton of different cinematographers, yet all his films have the visual beauty he is famous for. Also, say what you like about the films of Nicolas Winding Refn but he has a consistent, distinct and much copied visual style, yet he seems to change cinematographer on every project. Film is a collaborative effort but the visual buck stops with the Director (if the film is running right).

It just really concerned me that a shot as bland as the one I posted is put into the "sizzle" reel for this sequel. I'm probably reading waaaay too much into it.

(* It doesn't look like a set-decorator was employed for this shot though. Just rock up in the nearest hotel lobby and roll camera :D )

Just imagine a Wong Kar-Wai directed / Christopher Doyle shot Blade Runner. The only problem would be that it would take 3 years to shoot and 5 years to edit.

Zak Snyder can pull off those Blade Runner level visuals, like in BvS...

32557472203_4c8c484f6f_o.jpg

...but he'd probably get every other part of the film wrong.

Teaser for the official trailer makes the movie look a bit more Blade Runnerish. I guess we'll know in 3 days.

And here's some additional shot snippets in this one.  Love that 'ATARI' shot at the start of it -

Is it just me or does every trailer now that does the silence/black thing (like at 01.55) kinda feel anticlimactic when it doesn't then play the 'Wonder Woman' theme :D ?

There were a few shots in there that looked Blade Runner-ish on an "impressive fan-film" level. I guess I need to lower my expectations of how the film is going to look. It looks quite good compared to most movies, just not like Blade Runner-good. I'll just hope the story/script is decent, that's the most important thing after all.

By the way, seeing Jared Leto followed by the Sony and Warner Brothers logos gave me "Nam flashbacks" to recent disasters like Suicide Squad ;) . The other two production companies 'Alcon' and 'Thunderbird' do not have a great track record.

Neat, visually.

I feel like they're trying to make Gosling look like Ford, which gives me preconceived notions about the plot. Not sure how I feel about this.

My biggest reservation about this is that it seems that it will have to answer the "is Deckard a replicant" question (and I know Scott and Ford have stated their opinions). To me, the open-ended ambiguity is one of the things that makes the original great.

Back
Top Bottom