• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Best Encode for PC-to-Mac and Vice Versa

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hebrides has generously offered to do some color correction on a few video clips for my edit. However, he's on Mac and I'm on PC. I'm using Sony Vegas, working with lagarith avi, but apparently Mac and lagarith don't get along very well.

So then...what would be the best way for me to encode my video so that hebrides can work with it, and what would be the best way for him to encode to send back to me?

Well, you could always go uncompressed but that will be a huge file. You might just want to go with MP4 to ensure compatibility.

Will that affect the video quality? My main concern is that it wouldn't match the rest of the edit.

(shrug). Uncompressed is the best way to go. if unwilling to deal with that big of a file size, you can take a chance on a low compression avc file, but you take a risk if you try to edit in that format and it is still technically lossy (whether visible to the human eye is another matter).

Doesn't HuffyYUV play nice with Adobe Premiere on Mac?

geminigod said:
Doesn't HuffyYUV play nice with Adobe Premiere on Mac?

Not sure. I'd be using After Effects for the color correction and Adobe Media Encoder to re-encode for sending back to Frink.

Perian, which I do have, says it can handle HuffYUV, but that's for playback, I think. Not sure how my Mac would handle actually editing/encoding. It doesn't seem to be an option in Media Encoder.

So then...using Vegas...and I assume DV-AVI:

1) I select "Video for Windows (avi)"?
2) Select "custom"?
3) Frame rate 23.976? (I assume, since my source files are 23.976 fps)
4) 23.976 inserting 2-3 pulldown or 2-3-3-2 pulldown?
5) video format "NTSC DV Widescreen"?
6) Interleave every 0.25 seconds?
7) Create an OpenDML (AVI version 2.0) compatible file?

Am I doing it rite?

Sounds good. Use 2-3 pulldown.

I guess keep openDML compatible checked. Not sure if it matters or not. I think it is more of a throwback to old pre-XP days and was a way to get over a limit of 2GB AVI file size. If there seems to be some compatibility problem going on, try re-rendering with it unchecked.

Disclaimer: I have never used this codec before. :)

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

heb, does this sound like something you can work with?

It might be. I say it's worth a try, anyway.

ETA: If that still doesn't work, then I'd suggest seeing if you can encode the whole clip as an H.264 MP4, and the short section I'd have to work on as a lossless image sequence (TIFF or PNG). The color values for H.264 are pretty close to accurate, and I think I can use them as a guide. Or you could encode using Quicktime Animation codec, if that's an option; huge file size, but it's lossless too.

Prof. heb, I'm getting ready to upload some test clips, but you need to clean out your inbox...

So now it's time to go in the opposite direction. I have a test version of my crawl, which came from a Mac in .mov format. What's the best way to convert this sucker?

you want to get it in what format? lagarith AVI? if so, use virtualdub. you may need an avisynth script to open it in vdub. not sure.

Yes, lagarith avi. virtualdub doesn't recognize .mov so I take it that's where the avisynth script comes in. I know I can just edit the script in notepad, but I've only done this with meGUI. What does the script need to say, and how do I import it to virtualdub?

:oops:

^FAIL

I followed all the steps and I got an avi out, but there's nothing there. I opened it it virtualdub and it's just a white screen with no audio. I then opened in vegas and got an audio and video track, but the video is a white screen and the audio is blank (no sound).

Perhaps there's an issue with the .mov file? I also tried opening in quicktime and the file plays but no picture or sound.

I am starting to sound like a broken record here on different threads, but... have you tried importing it into Vegas? If Vegas can open it, then you could plug it into your timeline if you don't need to make any additional edits to it, or you could use vegas to convert it to Lagarith.

Vegas can't open .mov.

The script will look something like this:

Code:
DirectShowSource("C:\YourDirectory\YourVideo.mov", fps=29.97)

get the fps from mediainfo, not sure if you have a 25, 23.976, or 29.97 file. Write that code above in a notepad file, and save with the extension .avs. Open the *.avs file in virtualdub.

Back
Top Bottom