• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best Encode for PC-to-Mac and Vice Versa

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Select the video track from the list of tracks (like in the image below) and click on the "Format specific options" tab. There you can manually type in the Display width/height (whatever mediainfo tells you the m4v is) and FPS. For 23.976 choose 24000/1001 (second screenshot).

540px-Merge-mkv-03.png

2.jpg

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stop pretending this is so easy! ;)

I'll try it in a bit when I have more time.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmmm...converted to mkv, but same error when I try to import it with the script.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
can you post a screenshot of the file information from mediainfo

have you had trouble with other files and the directshow script?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's the m4v info:

captureilu.jpg

Do you want the mkv info too?

I've had trouble with scripts (documented in this and other threads) but we've always figured it out before.

Only thing I can think of that has changed is I have a new PC, but I've used vdub on it without problem recently.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hmmm, looks like a standard AVC encoded video. Can you open other MKVs with a script in vdub? if not, might be useful to install the latest k-lite.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tried another mkv and no luck.

I looked at the video compression options in vdub and k-lite was not listed. This is all there was:

capturesew.jpg

I tried to install k-lite and got this message:

capturehca.jpg

I answered "no" and installed k-lite anyway, but didn't work. Guess I need to reinstall xvid or something?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I installed the xvid codec, and it now shows up in vdub's video compression list. I then uninstalled the k-lite codec and reinstalled. Still no worky :(

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
For the record K-lite is a mess. I much prefer CCCP http://www.cccp-project.net/ , sadly they do not update anymore.

You might be better off manually installing things instead of using a catchall solution.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wabid said:
For the record K-lite is a mess. I much prefer CCCP http://www.cccp-project.net/ , sadly they do not update anymore.

You might be better off manually installing things instead of using a catchall solution.

What's a mess about I-lite? I've never had a problem with codecs since I've used it.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wabid said:

I have no idea what this means.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tl;dr

Anyway, L8 sent me a m2V that vdub loaded no problem.

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
tldr: dont use codec packs (you can probably gather that from reading the first/second url.) The tldr for why is because they are a mess.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well here's a fun one....

L8wrtr has been sending me various drafts of a .m2v file. I haven't had any problem converting them to lag avi by loading into virtualdub via a script. Tonight he sent me what appeared to be the final version of the file - I can open the .m2v in windows media player and it looks fine. I can load it into vdub and it looks fine. But when I try to save it as a lag avi, it cuts off the last 20 seconds or so. For some reason, it's not processing the end frames, although it says it is processing all the frames.

:?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Problem solved...sort of. I was never able to figure out what the problem was with v-dub, but since the end was just cut off, L8 sent me a clip with a bunch of extra time at the end. V-dub still cut the end off, but I got what I needed. *shrug*

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I missed the post prior. I've noticed that sometimes the last frame or two can cause issues in VirtualDub so I've taken the habit of setting the end point on frame before the file ends. Also make sure you manually set 23.976 (or whatever the frame rate is). Auto doesn't always cut it.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting, thanks.

ByteShare

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not sure how you're transferring the data since Mac And PC play well with each-others file format. I know Mac can read NTFS but it can't write it. If you're using a FAT32 go-between I'd make sure to have the file split before it goes over 4 Gigs. Also, a bitrate higher than your source and MPEG2 would be my suggestion.

Top Bottom