• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best Encode for PC-to-Mac and Vice Versa

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, I tried that but without the fps part. I'll try it again.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tried again with fps, got an "unspecified error" in virtualdub.

I'm starting to wonder if there's a problem with the .mov. I tried opening it in quicktime but was told I had to update my quicktime to play it. I tried that, and it opened and played (the timebar moved) but no picture or sound. Exactly the same thing that happened in both vegas and virtualdub with the avi I converted from it.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frink, I exported with 23.976 fps, through Quicktime 7. The default Codec used by the system was DVCPRO50-NTSC which is probably the cause of the problem. I have a slew of Codec options I can export with any codec except Lagarith since I'm Mac.

So those following this thread, knowing Frinks software, any recommended codecs I should re-export with?

edt: it looks like I have MPEG-4 and H.264 as options. Recommendations?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I'll be jiggered.

We're discussing via PM, but might as well do it here so others can benefit as well. Somehow I never tried opening the .mov in VLC player, but I did and it played just fine! So then, following L8's advice, I'm going to download MPEG Streamclip and see if I can use that to get it into a format Vegas can work with.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Streamclip was a bust. When I use it to open the .mov it does the same thing as other programs - it plays the file but no picture. VLC is the only one that has played it successfully so far, and even then there is some stuttering which I'm sure is not present on L8's end.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i recommend h264 as the codec. also, can you export to another container? like mp4? vdub doesnt seem to like mov files. I couldnt even open a clip I was working on for Frink with an AVS script. Though I swear I had done this before. I found a workaround at the time though.

so I recommend exporting the file for frink with h264 codec, preferrably in a mp4 container. that will definitely open in vdub with an avs script.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
i recommend h264 as the codec. also, can you export to another container? like mp4? vdub doesnt seem to like mov files. I couldnt even open a clip I was working on for Frink with an AVS script. Though I swear I had done this before. I found a workaround at the time though.

so I recommend exporting the file for frink with h264 codec, preferrably in a mp4 container. that will definitely open in vdub with an avs script.

So exporting via Quicktime 7, setting file format to MP4 with H.264, the image size options are:
768 x 576 SD
1280 x 720 hd
1920 x 1080 hd

Also, Frink what framerate is your project in?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
At a children's museum right now and can't remember. Send me a pm to remind me. :)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
let me remember for him :D

He is working in NTSC film, so 23.976. Is this a crawl? If so, I recommend outputting the 1280x720 dimensions. He would have to resize the SD anyway, because 768x576 is not DVD compliant, and this way he's not getting much of a quality drop.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
great-success.jpg
borat_great_success.jpg

The h264 .mov with the script went into virtualdub just fine and I now have a lagarith crawl. :)

So then....what's this about re-sizing?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To set it to your DVD compliant dimensions, do the following in virtualdub before saving the lagarith AVI...

add a filter. click the resize filter. disable the aspect ratio lock, and make the dimensions 720x480. this will make the video DVD compliant dimension. As per usual, when you add the video clip to vegas, you right click on the video in the timeline, and make sure it is set to 1.2121 NTSC widescreen. This will anamorph the video to its proper playback ratio.

and once again, you will have great success!!! :D

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Actually the MP4 container + h264 didn't look good when I exported, so I re-did it with .mov and h264 which was already at 720x480 so he likely doesn't need to resize this file.

But this was a test file, I still have to send an improved one with the correct star field in place. I wanted to make sure that we had compatible workflow sooner rather than later, and something in time for the workprint.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Vegas can't open .mov.

You sure? It is one of the options in my Vegas for importing and encoding.

Also, I'm confused. Did you say you were able to successfully frameserve a .mov file into vdub? I didn't think that was possible.

Also, Frink, did the DV codec not work well previously when you were trying to go from mac to PC?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I can't drag .mov into Vegas. But I'm using Studio, not Pro, and also on Ver. 9. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Yes, I was able to frameserve a .mov file that L8 gave me, although he encoded as h264. I brought it into vdub with the avs script Throw gave me.

the DV codec was to go from PC to Mac so hebrides could do some CC for me. I believe it worked out for him as he sent me a test image a while back.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah. I am on Vegas Pro 10.

Yes, I was able to frameserve a .mov file that L8 gave me, although he encoded as h264. I brought it into vdub with the avs script Throw gave me.

Sweet. Good to know directshowsource can do that!

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Might just be beginner's luck ;)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Halp!

Trying to output something from Vegas so heb can work with it on his mac. Previously (see page 1) I used NTSC DV Widescreen setting with 23.976 fps and 2-3 pulldown. Seemed to work fine. Now when I try it, I get an error:

"The custom template you selected is not valid with the current project settings."

My clips are 23.976 fps, but according to project settings the project is 29.97 and I don't even see a way to change to 23.976.

:?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
could you please post screenshots of your Vegas project settings, and the settings you are trying to use for rendering the video?

Top Bottom