• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

BD Vs HD-DVD

Which is better?

• I own a BD player.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I own an HD-DVD player.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I own BOTH formats!

• I hate them all.

• I don't own an HD format, but if I did it would be BD.

• I don't own an HD format, but if I did it would be HD-DVD.

• I don't own an HD format, I'm waiting to see which prevails.

• I don't own either but I'd probably buy both when the time comes.

• I'm an undecided patron.

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
the problems are not the blu-ray specs but manufacturers choosing poorly on support. you NEED to buy a blu-ray profile 2.0 CAPABLE player. period.

for most people this is a PS3. OH YEAAAAAAH BABY! :)

Without a doubt, the PS3 won the format war for Sony. They essentially sneak attacked an install base by putting it in their popular video game machines. One must wonder, however, if that might have cost them this lead in the video game console war.

If Toshiba had gotten something together with Microsoft about a bundle with the 360 when they started, we might be talking differently right now.

It's over. As of now Toshiba has given up and will no longer invest or produce anything in HD DVD. Blueray has won. Since Toshiba was the main source behind HD DVD, this means the end of the battle.

boon23 said:
It's over. As of now Toshiba has given up and will no longer invest or produce anything in HD DVD. Blueray has won. Since Toshiba was the main source behind HD DVD, this means the end of the battle.

Amen to that,I KNEW this would happen.

LONG LIVE THE BLU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a Blu-Ray investor, I am mildly pleased. I will now hug my Blu-Ray copy of Mad Max 2 and imagine how awesome it would look if I had a machine to play it on with me.

I love laughing at people who claim that HD-DVD is the superior format.

Argument with HD-DVD proponent:

HD: You guys may have higher theoretical capacity, but most BD's are 25GB!
BD: Actually, there are a lot of BD50's out there and more are being released per month.
HD: Well, you guys use the inferior MPEG-2 while HD-DVD uses higher tech VC-1!
BD: Most releases 2007 on are either VC-1 or MPEG-4/AVC.
HD: You guy's players are more expensive!
BD: And your cheapest is an add-on to a video game system.
HD: But most BD's are sourced from inferior 1080i transfers from 7 years ago!
BD: And were is your sources for that?

HD runs away

i've purchased:
led zeppelin - the song remains the same
bladerunner - 5disc collection
galapagos documentary

and don't have a player yet, LOL.

my friend had jumped on BOTH BD and HDDVD and last week (after informing him of impending doom) we went to trade all of his HDDVD stuff and walked out with a ton of blu-rays including planet earth. HOLY HELL that is an amazing set.

Planet Earth is PERFECT for showing off a Blu Ray setup to anybody. Next to getting a Blu Ray transfer of the Everest IMAX show.

I love laughing at people who claim that HD-DVD is the superior format.

Have fun with that higher level of copy protection! =)

It's okay; PAL is my higher definition. HD DVD did have less copy protection though. I think both of them are too low in resolution for me to need anything higher than PAL. A region 2 DVD already fills up my entire monitor edge to edge in 1024x768, which is almost all I use.

I'll wait until I can't see any pixels even on a 50" screen. Then I'll say it's HD. Until then, copy protection is another good reason for me to boycott.

who the hell cares about copy protection,we buy the movies to have SUPERIOR quality.

and it is only a matter of time,everything gets cracked sooner or later.

Tubes said:
Planet Earth is PERFECT for showing off a Blu Ray setup to anybody. Next to getting a Blu Ray transfer of the Everest IMAX show.

Planet Earth is an incredible series. I just have the regular DVD version and I'm already blown away by it; I can't imagine seeing it on Blu-Ray.

I'm glad the format war seems to be coming to a close, as I've been holding off on investing on a hi def player. I'm thinking that I may just go and pick up a PS3 to act as the player. (Then I can finally go and buy Rock Band! Woo! :lol: )

I'm thinking Daniel feels a little silly right at the moment.

The folks that hyped HD-DVD only did so because they bought into it.

people... the blu-ray copy protection is already cracked. it's a done deal. not an issue. etc.

hd-fail.jpg

I'm waiting for the Panasonic BD50. I dunno when it'll be out, but that's the player for me! Between now and then I won't be buying any DVDs.

joe: The crack only allows you to copy files to your drive and play them in a certain version of Cyberlink.

Ghostcut said:
joe: The crack only allows you to copy files to your drive and play them in a certain version of Cyberlink.

So what!
eventually it will be cracked and we ALL know it,so who the hell cares if it is cracked now or not,do you have a BD drive in your PC,let alone a BD burner?
can you even afford one?
and how about blank bluray discs?
so you can see,who cares if it is cracked or not,it is not like ANY of us can use this platform now anyways,just buy the movies and watch them like you are suppose to,in KICK ASS HI-DEF!

I cannot believe people are knocking Bluray because fo that,hell we couldn't copy DVD's when they first came out either,this is a NON issue.

dark jedi said:
So what!
eventually it will be cracked and we ALL know it,so who the hell cares if it is cracked now or not,do you have a BD drive in your PC,let alone a BD burner?
can you even afford one?
and how about blank bluray discs?
so you can see,who cares if it is cracked or not,it is not like ANY of us can use this platform now anyways,just buy the movies and watch them like you are suppose to,in KICK ASS HI-DEF!

I cannot believe people are knocking Bluray because fo that,hell we couldn't copy DVD's when they first came out either,this is a NON issue.

dark jedi, stop it. Now.

I was offered the option to purchase a Blu-Ray drive when ordering my new computer. I turned it down. Why? Because IT COST ?200.

You are also completely disregarding a very good reason for me wanting to be able to rip Blu-Ray... TO MAKE FAN EDITS IN KICK ARSE HIGH DEF!

All I was doing was stating a fact. I'm not knocking the format.

So calm down. CALM DOWN.

I do not need to CALM DOWN as you put it,all the naysayers need to,and as I said above,WE are not ready to do fanedits in bluray Hidef,COME ON MAN!
none of us can afford that,between the burners,authoring programs,codecs,blanks,holy hell way more money than I can spend.

jeez

Back
Top Bottom